Coffee on keto

Options
Can I drink coffee on keto?

Replies

• CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Short answer: abosolutely. Coffee/caffeine are fine while on keto.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I do it every day. So long as you aren't adding a bunch of sugar and *kitten* to it, you'll be fine.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    I live on coffee with heavy cream! :)
  • stefne888
    stefne888 Posts: 113 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I drink bulletproof coffee everyday!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Just monitor how your body responds. Some people have weird reactions to things they never had a reaction to previously, once removing excess carbs from their diets. If you react to coffee in a way you never have before, it might be worth some time to reduce to swap it for something else... It's all and individual thing.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Yes, even if you are intermittent fasting, coffee and tea with calorie free sweetener only or purely black will not kick you out of IF. If you add butter, heavy cream, MCT oil or anything else then it will kick you out of IF (but not ketosis!). I also drink BPC coffee with said ingredients but I am going to give IF a shot in which case I will start drinking tea because I can't do coffee without something to make it creamy such as the butter and heavy cream, sweetener (Stevia for me) alone is not enough to enjoy coffee.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    For those who are more insulin resistant or carb reactive, even an artificial sweetener will cause an insulin reaction which will kick you out of IF, so just be aware of that.
  • Claudette03
    Claudette03 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    bowlerae wrote: »
    Yes, even if you are intermittent fasting, coffee and tea with calorie free sweetener only or purely black will not kick you out of IF. If you add butter, heavy cream, MCT oil or anything else then it will kick you out of IF (but not ketosis!). I also drink BPC coffee with said ingredients but I am going to give IF a shot in which case I will start drinking tea because I can't do coffee without something to make it creamy such as the butter and heavy cream, sweetener (Stevia for me) alone is not enough to enjoy coffee.

What is IF?
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Intermittent Fasting. Meaning that you just split up your eating windows. It can be anything from 22 hours of fasting and 2 hours of eating window to fasting one day, not the next, to what I do when I do it, which is two 10-hour fasts with two 2-hour eating windows... I think there is a formal program that started it, which was like 16/8 or something, but for me, it's more about allowing it to happen naturally...

Any amount of extra time you can give your body off from eating helps your digestion, your glucose levels, and pretty much every function in your body. Most people include sleeping as part of the fast...
  • dcristo213
    dcristo213 Posts: 117 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I live on coffee and heavy cream. I also just started IF (16hrs fast/8 hrs eat) and its working incredibly well.