Which workout first?

Options
jvezzsb01
jvezzsb01 Posts: 115 Member
Hi All,
I'm still working up to my TDEE before I cut. I'm hovering around 1900-2100 calories. The EM2WL calculator has me higher based on strenuous. I didn't consider myself strenuous but it turns out I walk a lot :o and I strength train 3-4 days a week. I did Strong Curves and was ready to move on to Bret Contreras' online Strong by Bret for a monthly fee but am thinking of doing one of the EM2WL workouts and running through those first. My one thing though is I have grown to love the firming and shaping of my backside. So, I did grow to love the barbell hip thrusts and glute accessory work in Strong Curves. Any suggestions on which EM2WL workout to start with?

Replies

• empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Hey!
    What rep range was that last series you did in?
    The most important thing is that you are periodising your workouts, so you want to make sure you choose one that takes you through the next phase. I.e. If your last phase was strength, choose one that is endurance style.
    Nothing wrong with throwing in the strong curves moves on leg day if you particularly like that. As long as you allow sufficient rest periods between muscle groups I don't see a problem.
    Ichel
    EM2WL ambassador and moderator
  • jvezzsb01
    Options
    Hi Ichel!
    The deadlifts were 3 sets of 8, the hip thrusts varied from 3 sets of 20 for constant tension, to some with 6 because of pauses at the top. The single leg Romanian or Bulgarian leg splits(?) with Dumbbells were in the 12 rep range for 3 sets. The box squats were 6 reps and 3 sets. Basically everything was 3 sets but the ranges slightly differed depending on the exercise. I'm not sure what that would be considered.
  • TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Hello @jvezzsb01 ! The program you were doing seemed to be mixing different ranges within itself. I would suggest starting with an endurance phase to get your body going and ready for a Strenght phase. It will help you improve tendons and ligaments as well that will be a big change and nope, it won't be so easy. That would be Surge (http://training.eatmore2weighless.com/shop/). It will also work your core, very important gor heavier lifts.

I love leg days but was not so big into heavy hips thrusts until my own trainer (Kiki Smith) got on it and pushed me. I can't believe how much I can add to the barbell those days!

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • empressichel
    Options
    ^^^^^^^^^
    @jvezzsb01 Totally this! I would recommend an endurance workout next too. @TerezaToledo covered it perfectly!
    Ichel
    EM2WL Ambassador and moderator
  • jvezzsb01
    Options
    Thank you both! I have purchased Surge and will be moving through the EM2WL workouts. I am freaking out a bit this week because during my off week I was weighing 6 pounds less than I did today. I don't know why the pounds crept up over the last 10 days but they did and I am scared. So I will keep on working out and hoping that it goes down unless I have hit my TDEE already and surpassed it and didn't know it. :#
  • TerezaToledo
    Options
    I see some gains and PR's coming! The good thing is that since Surge is an endurance phase but still will push you to lift as heavy as you can for this phase, you cannot call it "cardio", so you will burn more during the workouts and still benefit from the afterburn! I'd sggest you to take pictures and measurements, you may see some good changes in this phase.

Let us know how it goes!

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • empressichel
    Options
    @jvezzsb01 Awesome! So glad you went ahead and got it! Progressing times are just around the corner! Try to stay focused on your workouts, protein and calories, just let the scale do it's thing for the minute B) and keep the long term picture in mind.
    Would love to hear how you like it!
    Ichel
  • jvezzsb01
    Options
    Thank you Tereza and Ichel for the encouragement. I did the second day of the Surge and I am feeling it. It's great so far. I will definitely let you all know how it goes.

Darn scale! I can handle it but my measurements haven't changed yet and I'm so frustrated. I was hoping I'd lose an inch or two. There's still time, I haven't officially hit my TDEE yet, getting closer most days and some days not close to my cutting rate. I'm trying to always hit protein no matter what! Let's be honest I'm loving the extra food too! ;)
  • empressichel
    Options
    Patience is key! While trying to get up to TDEE it will take time for any inches to lose, if any at all, because the aim of this phase is to reset and repair not necessarily a focus on a fat loss phase.
    But don't get disheartened because the compound effect will be happening with the extra food and now the periodised workouts.
    Great things are happening in your body right now even if you can't see it yet. This is when we have to do the cliche of 'trust the process' and KNOW that you are on the right path and doing the right thing.
    You are awesome!
    Ichel
  • TerezaToledo
    Options
    The Empress said it all! Patience for the compound effect to take place. Do another measurement session once you finish Surge. Have you taken any pictures yet? Front, back and side. You will see your body changing proportions (and even defying gravity!). I am glad to hear you liked the workout. I'm glad you are sticking to your calories and loving the food (what's not to love about it?). When did you start increasing?
    This is an excellent article on how long does it take for results to show when lifting:http://eatmore2weighless.com/how-long-to-see-results-from-lifting/

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Great link @TerezaToledo I know I have read it before and it's still helpful!