why can't I sleep?

Options
merflan
merflan Posts: 216 Member
I'm getting really frustrated by my poor sleep. Can anyone shed light on why you don't sleep well on a low carb diet?

Replies

• Bubba1922
    Bubba1922 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Same for me - and three months on it is not getting any better - although I do not feel more tired because I only get 4 hrs sleep rather than 7.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly the opposite. I went from horrible insomnia to sleeping great!
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    My insomnia reared its ugly head during the first couple of months, but eventually my sleep patterns went back to normal, with the biggest difference being that I'm just never tired anymore in the morning or during the day... Probably due to no more sugar comas! A lot of folks swear by magnesium to help them sleep, for me time was the best solution, time for my body to adjust to my new healthy woe.
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I sleep very well on LC. Perhaps you need some magnesium?
  • Cyndi146
    Cyndi146 Posts: 411 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    There's another thread on this topic this morning
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10461645/sleeping-like-a-caveman#latest

I'm not sleeping through and getting roughly 4-5 hours total, but don't feel tired during the day either.

eta: I do take a magnesium supplement too
  • LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I have to say my sleep is even worse since I started LC. I often save a few carbs for a bed-time snack to help my Tryptophan work.
  • aserrano79
    aserrano79 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My dr suggested melatonin. I think that has helped me personally the most.
  • Cyndi146
    Cyndi146 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    aserrano79 wrote: »

Melatonin does weird things to me. I sleep in maybe 1/2 hour intervals and have CRAZY dreams during those short periods.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Cyndi146 wrote: »

Melatonin does weird things to me. I sleep in maybe 1/2 hour intervals and have CRAZY dreams during those short periods.

Me too. Valerian Root works better for me.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Cadori wrote: »

Does it help you just to sleep or to stay asleep? Been reading reviews online and they have not been clear at this point.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Hmm.
    I started keto in November. I have struggled with insomnia much of the spring and again the past 2 months. I wonder if there's a connection. In the past I was able to overcome periods of insomnia within a few weeks; it's been a lot harder this time around.
    I take 2 melatonin and 2 Benadryl every single night now and still might sleep anywhere from 2 or 3 hrs to 7-8 hrs on a great night.

But now that pp mentioned it, I have been pleasantly surprised that overall I'm not *as* exhausted as I would expect under the circumstances. Some days worse than others but not every day like I'd expect from weeks of sleep deprivation on top of MS fatigue.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Bonny132 wrote: »
    Cadori wrote: »

Does it help you just to sleep or to stay asleep? Been reading reviews online and they have not been clear at this point.

Both. It helps me feel sleepy, but I notice more solid sleep when I take it. You should take it 20 minutes before going to bed.
  • Bubba1922
    Options
    I could not get Melatonin here in the UK without a doctor's prescription - just got some magnesium but it says Magnesium Citrate on the bottle - hope that works. Lack of sleep is so debilating.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @Bubba1922 Magnesium Citrate Liquid or pill??

The only familiarity I have with a liquid in a bottle is that which I had to purchase at the drug store and use as a Colonoscopy preparation. If liquid, not sure that is the type of Magnesium Citrate one should be taking.
  • Bubba1922
    Options
    Pills - under the umbrella f vitamin supplement.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Bubba1922 wrote: »
    Pills - under the umbrella f vitamin supplement.

Whew! Glad to hear it! :)
  • Bubba1922
    Options
    Yeah - not magnesium we use here in foot baths or in my school lab!!