GoaD on the Run - Monday 10/3

Options
jbrack381us
jbrack381us Posts: 345 Member
This thread is for GOADies who like to run. New runners, old runners, and even wannabe runners meet here to discuss the joys and challenges of running. Use this space to log your miles, ask questions, share your race reports, or for anything else related to running.

New runners - and even those just thinking about starting out - are always welcome. There's no reason to lurk here. Join the pack and tell us about your running!

Oftentimes the GotR thread will pose a question or raise an issue in order to facilitate the conversation, but this is always an open forum to chat about any running-related topic.

TOPIC OF THE DAY: Running with others -- Do you have a running partner or group? Did you have to adjust your pace up or down to stay with the group?

Replies

• gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Interesting how such an innocuous topic can bring up so many bad memories. Back in 2003-2005 I used to run with a formal running group. Things started to go awry for me in 2005 with my father's rapidly declining health and dementia. Toss in graduate school and I was a mess. I started running more trails and longer distances to cope with the stress which made me slower on the group runs. One day a man commented how slow I had gotten. I was not amused as I had just finished a 30 mile very hilly trail race. No one in the group was doing those kind of distances.

Later that summer, I was starting to have hamstring problems. I clearly remember the Saturday when I was trying to keep up with the group so as to not make people late getting back to their cars. That was the day the hamstring gave out and I had to limp back several miles. I was diagnosed with high hamstring tendonopathy and that pretty much put an end to my running for a very long time.

When I finally started to dabble with running in 2013, all my runs were by myself. I have zero interest in being part of a group. I need the freedom to back off and do my own pace (run/walk) without feeling like I'm holding others back.

As for running partners, I was sometimes running with a couple of other friends earlier in the year. Then I had to take time off for my eye stuff. My one friend got faster and I could no longer keep up with her. The other friend hasn't run much due to a variety of ailments as well as the stress of taking on a full-time job.

I do have a friend up in Wisconsin that I run with when I'm in the area. While she is faster than me, she sticks with me because she gets lost easily on the trails.
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I ran for years with a group, and remain a member of the running club. I got away from training with the group a few years ago when my target race did not match up well with what my friends were training for. Couple that with evolving into a less serious marathoner, and my incentive for meeting up with others kind of went away. I enjoy training on my own, and I also enjoy running with others. I am certain I will come back to more regularly running with my club.
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Options
    I had a lovely weekend. 4.5 miles running on Saturday, then worked for 2 hours cutting grass and cleaning leaves (great leg workout!). Sunday evening I went for a 10 or so mile bike ride.

I am traveling for work today, but have my bag packed for a gym workout when I get back into town this evening.
  • nick197785
    nick197785 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I run regularly with my running clubs. Over the years, we have had coaches run with us. Their comments generally are that we run our regular runs too slow and our long runs too fast. I think that they are right, except that the regular run pace seems fine to me.

I've developed many long term friendships with people I've met in the 2 running clubs I'm in. We have done some foreign travel to races. Also, it is very cool to show up at a race with 40+ people that you know. We compete, but also encourage each other. And it makes the after-party so much more fun. Being in running clubs has been a life enriching experience for me.
  • jbrack381us
    Options
    I have not run with anyone after taking running up until I decided to just keep pace with my DW on Saturday. She offered a couple times to let me go on, but I declined. Partly, I wanted to make sure she would be ok, we were in a park with some wooded areas and she was covering a 5k distance outdoors for the first time. It was also nice to have the company. Were we in a much more open area, I would probably be more likely to run ahead.

It was also a different feeling being the "fast" one and slowing up to run with her. I did enjoy it though.

Not sure if I am running tonight or early tomorrow AM. Was not prepared this AM and crawled back into bed.
  • jbrack381us
    Options
    2.25 mi in the pre-dawn this AM. Cool down for another .25 mi. It was definitely a "grind it until you find it" morning.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    4.5 miles of run/walk for me in the forest preserve this morning. It was slow due to my legs still recovering from the weekend. But it was great for my mind to be outside!
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Options
    Good job, you early birds! I'll run 2-3 this evening.

Nice diversion yesterday. I was on the road yesterday for work and decided on the fly to squeeze in some hiking in Jay Cooke State Park. I had workout clothes, old running shoes, and a fleece pullover in the car, so I changed out of my business clothes in the parking lot and hit the trails. Part of the perks of being a runner: I also had a cap, a water bottle belt, a spi belt, and the MapMyRun app at my ready disposal. Good times - only about 90 minutes - in a truly beautiful area that I'd not visited before.