Strength Training at Home

Options
Phil1632
Phil1632 Posts: 13 Member
Hi I am looking for help with exercises that don't rely on weights to strengthen and tone the body especially upper body and core. I am currently trying to loose weight for a healthier life and strength training is very unfamiliar to me. My rational is that I should be strong enough to lift my own body weight before picking up weights. I appreciate any guidance and support.

Replies

• Ben_there_done_that
    Ben_there_done_that Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Hey Phil, I'm sure you're already doing push-ups. I would also recommend dips and planks.
  • StrengthOfABear
    StrengthOfABear Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Here's a great site that I've used in the past. Agree with @captbklee on push-ups, dips and planks, also things like squats and lunges and have some starter weights for things like rows (I use some gallon water containers, depending on the exercise will depend on how full they are!).

https://nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

With the push ups if you can't start with the full body you have the option of using easier versions to work towards them. I've been doing his training and I've gone from being able to do none to kinda doing a few (I have a bit of weight to lose and strength to gain). scoobysworkshop.com/zero-to-100-pushups-for-complete-beginners/

Hope that's of some help and I'm just back on here so if anyone is looking for a MFP friend pls add me.
  • Phil1632
    Phil1632 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks Captbklee and StrengthofaBear, i haven't done any push ups as I don't feel strong in my back so I'm doing push ups off counters etc just to get into it. I'm pretty clueless about this stuff so I appreciate the advice and the links are a great guide. Cheers.
  • CoryAHall
    CoryAHall Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This post is a little old but in case you check it again I figured I'd give you a few more sources.
    These are what I used when I started and had no resources for weights and gyms.

FightTips
    A great YouTube channel for MMA style fitness, Full body workouts, stretches, and other tips.

PictureFit
    A great source for information on workouts, nutrition, supplements, ect.

And in case you now have weights or a gym membership:

Athlean-X
    Excellent descriptive videos on weight lifting, general exercise, and many other details of fitness.
  • Spike_G
    Spike_G Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    CoryAHall wrote: »

FightTips
    A great YouTube channel for MMA style fitness, Full body workouts, stretches, and other tips.

That's a new one for me thanks Cory.

Athlean-X Jeff is the man. No BS or broscience.
    I'm also a fan of Alan Thrall (Untamed strength) for no BS lifting advice too.