Normal work out routines?

Options
I'm really curious about everyone's work out routine? I had worked at a total meathead gym where everyone had "leg day" "arm day" everyday. However, I'm starting to realize this isn't really the norm or the healthiest. So far I've just been doing HIIT cardio for about 35 minutes 3 times a week but would rather tone up while I loose fat rather then just keep losing.
What is your weekly routine? Cardio days? Lifting days? A mix? Needing some ideas here. :)

Replies

• bamagirlintn1
    bamagirlintn1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I love to go to the gym so I am not sure if I am the best person to comment but I follow Jamie Eason and Fitness Food Diva. Both have easy to follow work out plans and include weight lifting and cardio. Mostly very traditional workouts. JE and FFD have videos and can be easily found on Pinterest or Facebook. Right now I am on Week 4 of Jamie Eason Flat to all That. Lots of emphasis on "legs and glutes".
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I do a full body program 3-4x per week (glute focused, very similar to the program "Strong Curves") then one yoga class per week.. no cardio atm. I have done a split in the past where I work different body parts on different days... it all depends on what you like and how much time you have. There is a post with all different programs that you can look through to see what you like:
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • kellyshell215
    kellyshell215 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fitness expert or anything, but I'm sure that doing a leg day and arm day everyday is not healthy, if you want to lose fat you need to workout other parts of your body too, you need to do HIIT and cardio. I want to lose fat and tone up to, I don't go to the gym, I normally follow workouts that I enjoy, Fitnessblender Videos, Yoga, Pilates, Kickboxing, Walks and Jumping rope. So I don't know If I'd be helpful, but here it anyway, It changes every week:

Monday: HIIT (25min) + Lower body (20-30min) (weights: 7-40lbs)
    Tuesday: Kickboxing (20-30min) + Upper body (25-30min) (weights: 5-10lbs)
    Wednesday: HIIT (25min) + core (abs+obliques+back) (25min)
    Thursday: Light Cardio (like walking) (30min) + Yoga (20-40min)
    Friday: Jumping rope (5-10min) + HIIT (15-20min) + Lower body (20-30min) (weights: 7-40lbs)
    Saturday: rest day
    Sunday: Yoga/rest day
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Right now:

Monday: spin class
    Tuesday: aerial class
    Wednesday: pole class
    Thursday: spin class
    Friday: rest (or I'm working that evening) or pole
    Saturday: rest (or I'm working) or pole
    Sunday: rest

Soon I'm going to start weight lifting (the Strong Curves program), so it's going to change. I haven't figured out what my exact routine will be yet but it will look something like this

Monday: SC
    Tuesday: aerial
    Wednesday: pole
    Thursday: SC
    Friday: work/rest, pole or SC
    Saturday: pole or SC. I could have to work, but I should have enough time to squeeze in a workout.
    Sunday: rest
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fitness expert or anything, but I'm sure that doing a leg day and arm day everyday is not healthy, if you want to lose fat you need to workout other parts of your body too, you need to do HIIT and cardio.

The whole "leg day" "arm day" refers to a weight lifting body building split, while I agree you should work out your whole body it doesn't have to be all at the same time or day. With proper programming all or most muscle groups will be hit each week. For beginners it is generally recommended to do a full-body program (usually 3x per week) but it is really up to the individual how they want to train.

Also, you do not need to do HIIT or cardio to lose fat. I don't do any of that. All comes down to a calorie deficit
  • sourface75
    sourface75 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I go to a different sort of gym with lots of gymnastics and calisthenics classes, along with crossfit style strength & olympic lifting. I do strength 2-3 times per week and bodyweight calisthenics 2-3 times per week. A bit like gymnastics bodies in the US.
  • kellyshell215
    kellyshell215 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I'm not a fitness expert or anything, but I'm sure that doing a leg day and arm day everyday is not healthy, if you want to lose fat you need to workout other parts of your body too, you need to do HIIT and cardio.

The whole "leg day" "arm day" refers to a weight lifting body building split, while I agree you should work out your whole body it doesn't have to be all at the same time or day. With proper programming all or most muscle groups will be hit each week. For beginners it is generally recommended to do a full-body program (usually 3x per week) but it is really up to the individual how they want to train.

Also, you do not need to do HIIT or cardio to lose fat. I don't do any of that. All comes down to a calorie deficit

Yes you dont need cardio, but its best to do cardio because it accelerates the your fat loss, specially when you do HIIT your body continues burning calories even after you workout.
  • viaTess
    viaTess Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I play cardio by ear Monday through Saturday usually right when I get up. Right now I'm into spin classes on YouTube with interval training anywhere from 20-35 minutes. Today is a good example of a weird day, I slept in because I felt a bit sick so I plan on doing some light cardio for up to an hour later in the day on the bike.

Strength training is Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and since I'm just starting out, I do reps until I feel the burn for 3 reps then rest 15-30 seconds. I am focused on my arms to carry those darn groceries so I do more diverse exercises on my arms, but I do pilates ab moves and plenty of leg and butt exercises for strength as well.

Sunday is a recovery day with a few yoga and stretch sessions through the day, plus I work on my upper leg muscles to help with my quadricep tendonosis right above my knees in order to avoid pain.

Since I'm more focused on the habit, right now it's hard enough to make a difference but easy to do everyday. I also have to be careful about pushing too hard on any exercises having to do with my knees because of the quad tendonosis.

tldr; cardio is interval training on a stationary bike 20-35min on 6 days of the week, strength is M/W/F whole body with emphasis on arms and abs for 15-20min, Sunday is recovery with yoga/stretching plus therapy for quadricep tendonosis
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    7 Days a Week: The Hacker Diet Exercise Program. Designed for men, it works fine for me, and is meant to be a full-body intense workout lasting fifteen minutes or less. Its purpose is to provide basic physical conditioning for everyday tasks, plus strength to protect against muscle loss and injury. https://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/e4/exercise.html

7 Days a Week: 15-45 minutes of yin yoga, which is designed to strengthen joints and promote muscle recovery. (I am convinced this is why I have so few injuries these days.)

Monday: 3-5 mile run, Karate (2 classes; one basic, one weapons, mostly resistance training, HIIT-like)
    Tuesday: 3-4 mile walk, Karate (2 classes)
    Wednesday: 5k run with friends, followed up by pizza and calzones (I regret nothing)
    Thursday: Rest day, ish. 12000 step goal, but nothing high impact except for the Hacker Diet
    Friday: 3-5 mile run, Karate (2 classes)
    Saturday: Another low impact day, typically. 12500 step goal.
    Sunday: LONG run day (as far as I can go without collapsing), followed by several hours of recovery and doing nothing. If I'm hurt, I take another low impact day with a step goal of 15000.

And that's how I do it. :)
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    Gearing up for a 10K, so my workout schedule has been overhauled.

M: Short run
    T: Rowing + circuit training + glute work
    W: Mid-length run
    Th: Rest
    F: Rowing + circuit training + glute work
    S: Long run
    S: Rest

When I'm not in race training mode, I usually run 2-3 times a week and lift 3-4 times a week. I'm a firm believer that strength training of some kind is a must, especially while you're losing weight.