Living the Lifestyle - 10/04/2016

Options
misterhub
misterhub Posts: 6,316 Member
Living the Lifestyle - Tuesday - 10/04/2016

Everyone says it, but just how do you do it? How do you take the guidelines of the WW program and turn them into a lifestyle you can live every day...from now on? That is what we are here to explore. Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Newbie? Join in! Veteran? Join in! Your thoughts may be just what someone else needs to hear.

Monday -- Podkey / Bob
Tuesday -- misterhub / Greg
Wednesday -- beachwoman2006 / Cindy
Thursday -- Calvin2008Brian / Brian
Friday -- Al_Howard / Al

Today's topic: Prioritization

How do you prioritize the components of your lifestyle change? Physical fitness first? Weightloss? Mental wellness? What components do you even care about? Inquiring minds want to know.

Replies

• gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    1. Mental wellness
    2. Physical fitness
    3. Weight maintenance

• podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,106 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    It is the trifecta and I live doing all three daily. I would put mental wellness on the top. There are times because of traumatic injury, travel, etc that I can't do basic activity. I don't think of them as "I choose this over that". A great deal of my mental wellness stems from physical well being which is a combination of "fitness" and my weight maintenance.
    Saturday I did a walk with my WW group in support of mental health (support American Foundation for Suicide Prevention). It was actually pretty uplifting and we walked over 3.5 miles crossing two bridges over the Willamette in downtown Portland. No time for riding my bike that day and maybe ate a bit much for lunch. My yoga teacher has been trying like other groups to get us all to be in the moment and not dwell on the past or obsess/ worry in an unhealthy way about the future.

In the past without the WW plan or some other livable plan I did well with #1 and #2 for the most part. I am glad I have a sensible plan to do #3. I am often depressed, even daily first thing in the morning. I am seldom that depressed after my 3 mile morning amble and coffee. Good thing.

Where the priority thing comes into play a bit is with travel and other busy schedule days. I am going to SoCal home of a paleontology museum near and dear to my heart. We have loaned out our unique baby dinosaur ("baby Joe" the hadrosaur) for a "world tour". It has been viewed by over 1,000,000 people in Japan alone. I go to a special dinner at the museum every year and balance out my walking, biking, and eating pretty well. If I don't rent a bike I will still walk. Since the dinner is "best ever" the portions are small and tasty instead of just "filling".
    OK I apologize for rambling but I do what I can.
  • DavidKuhnsSr
    DavidKuhnsSr Posts: 6,976 Member
    Options
    Priorities shift around. That's just life. I used to hit the gym four days a week. Then I got focused on hiking as often as I could and there wasn't time for the gym. This year, my DW has had a lot of health challenges, so my focus has been more to meet her needs.

Through it all, I have monitored my weight and what and how I eat. That is the basis of the whole lifestyle thing, I suppose. I eat well, but eat right, too. I stay active, physically and mentally. I enjoy life, whatever it brings my way.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I know this, but don't think about it much- I really have this stuff woven together.

I injured my foot early in the summer playing Pickleball. Major funk. Major. Started self pity eating. Started gaining. More funk. More weight hurt my foot. Really bad.

Can't pick 1.

• Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I feel fortunate that I don't have to prioritize. I have plenty of time to fit in different, fun activities, which greatly helps with my mental wellness.

I have to eat and prep food regardless of what is going on in my life, so I choose easy, healthy options that I enjoy.

I think if I were a parent, I might have to focus more on prioritization but as a DINK (dual income no kids) individual, I feel fortunate to have the flexibility to live a healthy lifestyle with very minimal impediments.
  • Kramti386
    Kramti386 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Mental wellness is probably on the bottom of list but I am working on it. Food and Physical are dailies for me now.
  • MICHGOLFER2
    MICHGOLFER2 Posts: 197 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I've seen my priorities shift over the years. Right now, these three are pretty intertwined. I've realized that my mental wellness is closely tied to being active and to feeling in control of my weight. If either of those two things are absent, depression sets in.

My definition of physical fitness has changed. Even at my heaviest, I was always very physically active. Now, with arthritis and one hip replacement, I aim for being active in a more relaxed manner - walking rather than running, golf rather than tennis. I've got the equipment to try snowshoeing this winter rather than downhill skiing. And I've been to two sessions of Pickleball, which I've enjoyed. But, I've discovered that I have to be active in some way!

If I had to prioritize the three right now, I would say 1) being on plan for weight loss, 2) physical activity, and 3) mental wellness. Because if I do the first two, the third one pretty much happens.
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I guess I'd rank emotional wellness at the top. My fitness and activity level are important parts of how I feel about myself, so let's put that as a close second. As far as physical health, I've been blessed with generally good health so - at least for today - I'd rank that third. I can definitely see how physical concerns would vault to the top spot. As Count Rugen wisely noted, "If you haven't got your health, then you haven't got anything."
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,106 Member
    Options
    Another way to look at it is that I may have 100 things in my life to "prioritize" but the ones you mention are always in the top three. Without mind, body and spirit what is a lifestyle??

I have to eat anyway so no brainer there. In my case I really need to move too to maintain my sanity. Just as a mind is a terrible thing to waste, a waist is a terrible thing to mind so to speak.
  • 60in2017
    60in2017 Posts: 65 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I don't know if I can separate out the three. In order for me to feel good mentally, I have to eat right and be physically active. I feel much better physically and mentally when I'm at an acceptable weight and feel strong and healthy from physically activity. Conversely, when my head is not in the right space, it makes eating right and getting active very difficult. They are all inseparably intertwined.
  • goldenfrisbee
    goldenfrisbee Posts: 1,640 Member
    Options
    I put weight loss as the top priority because that is affecting everything else. If I weighed less I would not hurt as much in my knees and feet. When I weigh less I also feel more alive and that puts me in a really good frame of mind.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    Options
    How do you prioritize the components of your lifestyle change. 1. Physical fitness first. 2. Weight loss. 3. Mental wellness? What components do you even care about? Inquiring minds want to know.

When I joined #2 was Top Priority, Then I learned (on GoaD) that you lose more weight in the kitchen than the gym. But you need to MOVE to be fit. So #1 is next priority. If I am taking care of #1 and #2 then #3 will follow.
  • mcbluesky
    mcbluesky Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Physical Fitness usually came first for me because I really enjoy working out. It has taken me way too long to understand that weight loss requires more focus on what I eat than how much I work out. Not as much fun as working out, but it is a fact.
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Interestingly, weight loss/management is my top priority. The others are important, and certainly mental wellness is tied in, but it's all about the weight.

And the pants size.

Proof, once again, that I really am that shallow.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Weight loss was the first; the others have more or less followed that. I found the mental wellness started almost immediately after having a plan that would actually take me from thinking about losing weight to doing it. After losing some weight, the physical activity got easier and more enjoyable. Now it's all part of one of those Venn diagrams I learned about in elementary school (but had no use for). Each exists on its own but the real gain is where they overlap.
  • leeless511
    leeless511 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Mental wellness; weight maintenance (or loss if needed); fitness/activity seems to be the order of things in my mind and works best for me.