Carbquik Experience

Options
JessicaLCHF
JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
So I'm pretty curious about foods. Lately I've been testing Akins frozen meals. Today I ordered some Carbquik. I'm hoping for decent pancakes. I've done the cream cheese/egg ones, but I wanted to try these instead. Anyone here familiar with the product? What did you use it for? It's a bit pricey, but 2 net carbs a serving.

1wr4zdwjzohy.jpg
bx2els3dv6v1.jpg

Replies

• moonlights
    moonlights Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    This is one of those products I'm suspicious of in a 'too good to be true' sort of way so in interested to hear what you think of it and if you think it affects losses.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it but I've seen good reviews. I'm nervous because of the amount of fiber in it, I typically don't fair well with the high fiber stuff so I likely won't attempt it. I wish I could though cuz I've seen some good liking waffles made with it
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Definitely keep us posted on what you think after you try it.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I bought some off of amazon but haven't used it enough to say. I've played with almond flour a bit and really like that but it's really pricey and drives up the calories of my pancakes. I think it would be a good substitute for flour in gravy drippings though.
  • collegefbfan
    collegefbfan Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Looks okay yeah but that much fiber even scares me. Any input on the fiber intake?
  • collegefbfan
    collegefbfan Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Great... might have to check into it
  • SueMizzou52
    SueMizzou52 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I like carbquick pretty well although I eat it sparingly. I have never made pancakes with it although I have made somethings that are quite tasty. One of my favorites is the "Impossible Pie" that used to be on the back of a bisquick box. Use Carbquick instead and it makes a fairly respectable quiche. I've also made sausage balls that make a great appetizer.
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »
    In regards to the fiber - I noticed nothing adverse when I ate it however, as mentioned above - I didn't use it every day. I used the box up over about a month or so and I'm cooking for 4; not just for myself. I ate normal servings of what I made with it and didn't have bloating or other gastric issues. YMMV

ETA: this is not a flour replacement or substitute. Carbquik is more similar to Bisquick. Just about anything you'd have made with Bisquick before you can make with Carbquik. It has flakes of fat in it. The first time I made biscuits with it I added extra butter, not realizing the fat already in it and it wasn't as good as the next batch when I made them per the directions.

Ah! Good to know.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I have some and use it. I'm working on using up my last box of it. It does work well and is very similar to Bisquick. I don't like the fact that it's got soy in it which I'm working at cutting out of the foods I eat so when I finish up the box I have, I won't be getting more. That said, however, it does work well as a low carb flour.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I have some and use it occasionally. I've tried the pancakes and they were OK. I actually like the cream cheese kind better. The main thing I've used it for is a chocolate mug cake. I rarely make those though. It's nice to have on hand but I just really don't end up feeling the need for baked goods as often as I anticipated. I've only used my coconut flour like twice in a year and still haven't figured out how to use xylitol. ;)
  • BaconSan2
    BaconSan2 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Interesting about the canola & it's deodorizing phase & in addition to that most canola unless it says Organic has been made with GMO seed.
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    Yeah, I'm not a fan of the soy. The fiber doesn't bitter me at all as I rarely hit my goal of 25g fiber daily. I'm always trying to get more in.

But - based on the price I'm not going to be using it as a mainstay anyway. More like a stopgap measure for certain recipe challenges (biscuits, pancakes, gravies).
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Lost me at wheat, soy and canola oil...
    And all that fiber

Yeah, I'm totally with you on this one @Sunny_Bunny_!!
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Nice! Looking forward to seeing your pics. Now I'm tempted to have pancakes for dinner :)