One week after my VSG

Options
Mija1104
Mija1104 Posts: 9 Member
I had my surgery on Sept 26th. Not much pain, and things seem to be going well, but I have a few questions:
1) I wasn't told "no straws to drink" and I've been using a straw since I came home - is this a "guideline" suggestion or a hard & fast "DON'T DO IT" rule?
2) I had many pre-existing conditions I was taking meds for, but a lot of my meds are timed release (which can't be crushed or cut) so I just stopped taking them, as the nutritionist said no capsules or tablets for 4 weeks. Then typed on my discharge sheet that I should take all meds. One paper said take a chewable multi vitamin, but my discharge papers state do not take any vitamins for the first 4 weeks.
Seems like I'm getting contradictory info from the same sources? Did any of you have these issues?

Thank you so much . . .

Replies

• jennyb319
    jennyb319 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I was told no straws. It lets in too much air. I would call the dietitian about the meds.
  • jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue with discharge orders so spoke with my surgeon at my first post op appt. I would speak to them about what you should or should not take.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I used straws occasionally. They tell you not to because it lets in too much air, but I "ingested" a bunch of air regardless (so many burps the first 3 weeks). I found it a bit easier to get my liquids in using a straw. I would just be careful and sip slowly.

As far as the contradictory info, I would do what the others suggested and contact your dietician and/or surgeon's office.
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    The straws are a soft thing. Since you're only a week out, I wouldn't push it too hard. At 11 1/2 months out they are still hit or miss for me. There are times I can be happily going along, then *BAM*, a bubble hits the wrong spot and I'm in pain. Sometimes it's kinda cramp-like, other times it's "I completely regret my decisions" bad. So, I'd suggest waiting about a month if you can. If not, go SUPER SLOW.

The pills, I'd call my surgeon's office and talk to them directly about the specific meds and vitamins.
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I was told no straws for 3 months
  • Mija1104
    Mija1104 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. Oddly enough, my body doesn't seem to miss the meds - things seem better in fact!! I will check with the doctor's office about the multivitamin though, as that is more important to me. (and today I've just been sipping from a glass). I am definitely ready to move on to the pureed diet though . . . .
  • Tristaan
    Tristaan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Please check with your doctor about your meds. You didn't mention what they were for, but you mention many pre-existing conditions. Some you can cut out completely, some should be lowered dosages, and others you may need to take in a different form (not time-released, etc). Cutting out meds is an awesome part of this surgery for many people, but you should do that in partnership with your physician. :)
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    The straw thing is a guideline. If it causes discomfort, don't use them. If you do use them, be cautious and use small sips. The other stuff call your surgeons office for clarification. Some meds you will be off fairly quickly. Vitamins are a must especially the first few months. Different doctors have different recommendations on what exactly you should be taking.
  • StevenGarrigus
    StevenGarrigus Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Mija1104 wrote: »
    I had my surgery on Sept 26th. Not much pain, and things seem to be going well, but I have a few questions:
    1) I wasn't told "no straws to drink" and I've been using a straw since I came home - is this a "guideline" suggestion or a hard & fast "DON'T DO IT" rule?
    2) I had many pre-existing conditions I was taking meds for, but a lot of my meds are timed release (which can't be crushed or cut) so I just stopped taking them, as the nutritionist said no capsules or tablets for 4 weeks. Then typed on my discharge sheet that I should take all meds. One paper said take a chewable multi vitamin, but my discharge papers state do not take any vitamins for the first 4 weeks.
    Seems like I'm getting contradictory info from the same sources? Did any of you have these issues?

Thank you so much . . .

Hello and congratulations on your surgery! To answer your questions:

1) "No straws" is a guideline. To my understanding, drinking through a straw makes you suck up excess air. I've just accustomed myself to taking the lid & straw out of my daily Sonic ice water with lemon.

2) Check with your surgeon for clarification.

Best of luck to you in this new phase of your life!