Acid Reflux Advice Needed - DIET based

Options
2»

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @aylajane - I wish you luck with the enzymes. They've been awesome for me... But yeah, that Betaine HCL was so not fun for me. Supposedly, it could indicate another type of gut infection if you don't tolerate it well, but it seems unlikely... h.pylori, I think it was...

@Sunny_Bunny_ - I was always told that it needed to be diluted minimum 4:1, water, preferably 16:1 (1 TBSP to 8 oz water), and still drunk through a straw to protect tooth enamel...hence with all the hassle that I switched to pills.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    kmn118 wrote: »
    If you don't get heartburn anymore, is there a reason to stay with the ACV?

I concur with @KnitOrMiss regarding try weaning off it and see what happens. I'm in the camp supplement if you need something and don't if you don't. :)
  • BaconSan2
    BaconSan2 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    kmn118 wrote: »
    If you don't get heartburn anymore, is there a reason to stay with the ACV?
    When I did the Diet Centre diet (in the 80's where you paid an arm & a leg to have someone monitor you daily) they sold ACV pills and advised everyone to take them - nothing was mentioned about them being a cure for acid reflux it was for weight loss.
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Well I'm just hoping my doc is open to ACV and Emzyme pills. She's fairly holistic but still a doctor, so we'll see. Appt tomorrow am. I'm quite curious as to what she's going to think.
  • MariahMichaels
    MariahMichaels Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss Where do you buy your ACV pills? And what brand makes them?
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @MariahMichaels - I get it off of amazon... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000POWGBC/

That is the brand I use.

I went to look for the article I used to pick my brand, and this wasn't the article I found, but this is good info. Going to research the "recommended" ones, so I might switch, but I've been taking mine since for several months now...

http://www.npdfoodworld.com/nutrition/7-best-apple-cider-vinegar-pills-better-health/
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Interesting. Had NO idea it helped with insulin sensitivity and glucose control. Might increase my quantity now... Like I said, I always learn something when researching to give more complete answers to other folks! :)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @aylajane - I wish you luck with the enzymes. They've been awesome for me... But yeah, that Betaine HCL was so not fun for me. Supposedly, it could indicate another type of gut infection if you don't tolerate it well, but it seems unlikely... h.pylori, I think it was...

@Sunny_Bunny_ - I was always told that it needed to be diluted minimum 4:1, water, preferably 16:1 (1 TBSP to 8 oz water), and still drunk through a straw to protect tooth enamel...hence with all the hassle that I switched to pills.

I don't doubt that's true. I'll probably still take mine with very little water though. If I can't do it as a shot I probably won't do it at all. And I really think it's been a good addition.
    I'll try it a bit more diluted.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    HA! That's why I did it 1 TBSP in 2 oz of water. I'm ABSOLUTELY the same. If I can't shoot it, it so ain't happening! LOLz
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @MariahMichaels - I get it off of amazon... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000POWGBC/

That is the brand I use.

I went to look for the article I used to pick my brand, and this wasn't the article I found, but this is good info. Going to research the "recommended" ones, so I might switch, but I've been taking mine since for several months now...

http://www.npdfoodworld.com/nutrition/7-best-apple-cider-vinegar-pills-better-health/

I got that one. Waiting for shipping. I tried to "shoot" it last night in about 4oz water. Awful burn! Then sore throat, lol.
  • JessicaLCHF
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Ok, so she is tapering me down gradually. Also wants me to try digestive bitters which she says is an old fashioned remedy, but will help prime the pump to digest my food better. Said to take the ACV pills if I want, but she thinks it's claims are unbelievable. Said I can take the digestive enzymes but that my body prolly produces enough on its own. We shall see. Also started me on two probiotics.

Oh, and told me to eat less fat. Well. That's not gonna happen! Lol.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    As far as the digestive bitters, if you still have your gallbladder, that might be a good option. Since I don't, it's unlikely to help me. But the ACV might help... And you might produce enough enzymes. Because I'm super fat still and have been for a long time, my liver function is definitely not 100%...and I have no gallbladder. I think I had literally every major symptom on the low stomach acid/enzyme chart...

Probiotics, if good ones, do seem to make a HUGE difference...
  • LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I was an antacid junkie -- even needing prescriptions on a few occasions -- until I started using ACV for heartburn. Not only does it stop the pain cold, it also seems to prevent heartburn, since I now have only one or two episodes a year, instead of several a month.

I just use one or two tablespoons straight when I have heartburn. Otherwise, when I remember, I use it in water in the morning.