Weekly Post 25.09. - 01.10.16

Options
flumi_f
flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
One more week to vacation....

It's gonna be a busy one. Will be fasting tomorrow. Might go for a B2B as Wednesday is difficult and Thursday I have an event at work and Friday...well I don't like fasting on Friday :p A course on Saturday and then off to England on Sunday morning. I'm also meeting with a realtor on Monday, thus I will probably be deciding if I dive into the adventure of buying an appartment or not this week. Yikes.

Have a great week and good fasts!

Replies

• KateNkognito
    KateNkognito Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    @flumi_f That sounds like a busy week!
    I had a loss this morning when I stepped in the scale. :) I am also going to give myself a gift when I get to 5 pounds down, which should be next weekend, so I am going to preorder it with confidence! I hope you all are having a fantastic weekend! I get a day off tomorrow, but I am cleaning carpets and doing laundry, so nothing nearly as fantastic as Flumi's vacation! Lol
  • MelissaCV
    MelissaCV Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I had a good fast day today...I even resisted the warm baguette my husband brought in the evening. And I had a bowl of low-cal chicken broth with noodles, as you had suggested the other day. It was a good idea!
  • RoxianneM
    RoxianneM Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I made a really tasty curried squash soup (kabocha from our garden, with chicken soup base, onions, almond milk, curry powder and garam masala). I made extras foe Thursday. So glad my husband is doing this with me.
  • flossyruby1
    flossyruby1 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    One successful FD down, one more to go on Thursday. It feels good to be focused again! Last night, I made a wild rice/lentil/vegetable soup with homemade bread. My bread machine decided to quit on me mid knead cycle, so I had to improvise. I must say, it turned out pretty good. The kids ate the heck out of it, which is always a win. Looking forward to a sweet sour brown rice salad today. I'm subbing, so things will be busy! Have a great day, everyone!!
  • KateNkognito
    KateNkognito Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Three day weekends are nice, but I am not sure four day weeks are worth it! The kids at school were totally off today, so my fast day went out the window pretty early. Chocolate was a necessity for survival. :wink:
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    All these yummy soups I'm reading about got me to dig out my own recipes....we need a separate soup recipe forum :)

Finally polished off the last of the Costco sized bag of all dressed chips from the daughters bday last week! Darn kids ate the fruit platter instead... go figure! I feel toxic from all the sodium and the worst part is I don't even like chips!

Sounds like you all are doing very well this week... very inspiring! Keep it up, cheers B)
  • MelissaCV
    MelissaCV Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Fasting is going well today...so far. Just coffee for breakfast, then I went out for a run, and I just had lunch: a beef and vegetable soup with lentils (198 cals). Now just water until dinner time where it's chicken and vegetables.

Hope you finish your fasts strong this week!
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    My fast day fell apart this evening. I'm going to an alpha course at my local Church - it's just started - and at the start there is a meal. I kinda thought I would be able to duck out of it, but gah, the quiche had been made by the vicar's wife (also present for the meal) and a waldorf salad had made and brought in by another participant and ... and ... well I just would have felt bad for refusing food that had been specially made. I did pass on dessert as they were all in cartons so nothing spoiling there, and I drank fizzy water rather than fruit juice. Sooooooo, I'll be switching to a wednesday FD next week, rather than Thursday. And writing off today :p
  • flossyruby1
    Options
    Oolou, it so frustrating when you have good intentions for a FD and then something like that presents itself. As much as we try to plan, stuff just happens. But you still had a day where you ate less calorically. You would have eaten more had it not been a FD. So all is not lost!!

I had a very successful FD yesterday. I've come to suspect that one of the reasons I've been having difficulty is not enough protein on FD. Being mostly plant-based, I haven't really thought too much about protein. Most people have it that we need a ton of it, but we really don't. However, I do know protein helps us feel full longer (it takes a long time to digest) and that a low level of protein on a FD might be why I get so hungry quickly. So I'm staying open to my needs and playing around with it to see what works. I do not like the few extra pounds I've put on from getting sloppy.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouraging words, flossy :) Glad to hear your FD went well! Do you eat dairy? I find a full fat greek yoghurt helps my satiety.
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Flossy I also find that low fat cottage cheese helps me on a fast day. If you do not do dairy then tofu and hoy sin sauce is not to bad, with some spring onions dropped in just before the finish of cooking.
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I second the cottage cheese! I buy 1% and add sliced tomatoes and lots of black pepper!

I also have had "others" foil my fd plans... ended up with low days last week, but not fasting. I'm also experiencing sore knee pain and have cut down my walks :'( I'm hoping new runners this week will make my poor legs feel better. Any walkers here? How often do you purchase new runners? I should have bought new ones 6months ago! As mine are 1 year old this week! Ahhhh not good for the old knees!

Hope everyone has more willpower than me during this upcoming candy season!! :#
  • flossyruby1
    Options
    Hi Geoff and Oolou! I typically don't do dairy and do eat a lot of tofu, but I'm finding it difficult to stay full. I've been mostly plant based for several years and I love this way of eating. But I also know many of the things I'm making are very high in calories so I have to cut back in portions. Im trying very hard to relax my "rules" about my diet. I have a history of being all or nothing. But I'm finding that may be an issue. I love plant based eating because i feel so much better, but I'm if im struggling and wind up gaining, it sort of cancels it out. This will continue to be a work in progress in many ways. But I appreciate the suggestions!!! So thank you!

Mama, if you are a consistent walker, you should get new shoes every 6 months. Also, use a foam roller and roll the outside of your legs. Your iliotibial band runs down the outside of your hip from hip to past your knee and can get tight. I roll almost everyday to keep things loose. Maybe that will help!
  • sanjoparolas
    sanjoparolas Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Flossyruby, I love the combination of beans and whole grains to stay full. My current favorite is a whole wheat tortilla stuffed with pinto beans, salsa, avocado and lots of greens, but this is not super low calorie - one of these is just over 500 cal on its own! I also love 'ocean' (mock tuna) salad made with garbanzo beans. Lentils and rice can be yummy as well. As a person eating a plant-based diet, you have no doubt tried all of these things for protein, but I thought I'd throw them out there as ideas in case you hadn't thought of them for a while. Best of luck!
  • flossyruby1
    Options
    Thank you, Sanjo! I do eat a lot of beans and grains. I love tofu and have recently acquired a taste for tempeh. I also made a batch of seitan to revisit it as an option. Yesterday, I received a copy of terry hope Romero's protein cookbook. I'm interested in delving into it to get more ideas. I may have discovered the source of my sudden bouts of hunger, which feel more like a blood sugar problem. It's different than fasting hunger. I had my metformin reduced in late August. It's a medication for diabetes (which I don't have) that I take for polycystic ovary syndrome. It's also taken for insulin resistance, which has been assumed I do have. Last night, I went back to my normal dose to see if that improves things. I'm hoping that's the culprit!! Thank you for the suggestions...it's always good to be reminded of options because we sometimes forget!!