Ketogenic diet

Options
Anyone ever try this diet out. I'm on day 1, and curious on what people ate.

Replies

• FNXHRT
    FNXHRT Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Check out diet doctor.com/low-carb/keto
  • merchantmarine
    merchantmarine Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thanks , day 3. Not bad at all. I have tons of energy
  • anointdhndz
    anointdhndz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You have to give the keto lifestyle time... it works. Ive lost about 35 lbs and 3 almost 4 sizes since june 1st... Ita either all in or nothing..u have to burn all the glucose out of your system too, so dont give up. You will probably experience extreme tiredness too about the 3-4 weeks mark, but keep going.
    Don't be discouraged if ur not dropping weight. You will drop sizes. And get some sort of ketones measurement.. whether its the strips or the blood monitor. You will eventually know when you're in ketosis after a month or 2. U can feel it..or at least i can.
    Don't cheat.. because it will knock u out of ketosis and u have to start all over again.. which generally is about a week.
    Keep at it. It really works when u devote to the lifestyle..:))
  • ajo727
    ajo727 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It's a over a month later now - - - how are you doing?

I'm using the keto eating plan right now. I'm about 1 week in and have lost 7 pounds. I tried the strips for the first time yesterday and am in ketosis and I suppose i have been for several days because I've been eating very low carb (but not necessarily high fat/mod protein) for a couple weeks.

As far as what I've been eating. I've been keeping it pretty simple. In the last week:

At Wake up = Greens drink (<1 carb), and multivitamin drink (I just realized the mv drink has 8 carbs, so I'll discontinue that today)

Breakfast = meat (lamb, pork or beef) and avocado or meat and eggs. With eggs, I mix in some vegetables (spinach, peppers, etc).

Lunch = I haven't been hungry at lunch, but usually a small portion of leftovers, the past couple days it's been an Indian chicken dish - Tikka Masala which is chicken in tomato, carrots, and onions (I was using up carrots and onions I had, but won't continue to eat carrots and will limit onions) and it has a lot of spice to it. Lunch is always a small leftover portion of usually a one-dish meal that I throw in a container to take to work - about a cup of food.

Snacks = nuts, seeds, and cheese or celery/green pepper and dip or pork rinds and guacamole. I haven't been snacking much at all, but these are all good snack foods for me.

Dinner = meat, fish, or chicken with extra fat. So, could be sauteing shrimp in coconut oil, avocado on the side with a large green salad with cheese (blue, feta, gorgonzola, etc to make it interesting) and boiled egg and ranch or some other high fat/low carb dressing. If I'm eating fish I have to up my fat with avocado, cheese, and dressing because I can't seem to get enough fat in throughout the day.

My advice is not to try to imitate carbohydrates. Some people spend time trying to make muffins, pastries, breads, or desserts that fit this eating plan. For me, I'm over those foods already, after cutting back for a month and giving them up a week ago. I don't drink any sugary drinks (not even with Stevia or other natural sweetener). I think by cutting them out and not trying to recreate everything identical to the old way of eating (through the use of almond or coconut flour) it's really a lifestyle change and I don't even think about having bread or the other stuff. Once I'm very comfortable with this eating lifestyle, I might try to do some other things, but for now, cutting the carb addiction by not trying to make an acceptable substitute for breads has been good and much easier. One exception is cauliflower crust pizza/breadsticks, because I really enjoy it and it's good for something different and I made it pre-Keto.

Eating in restaurants is difficult I've found, but not impossible. If you can, really check out the menu items first, before you even go. I have gone to one restaurant since I've been tracking - Longhorn - and surprisingly, some of the steaks have a decent amount of carbs. I ended up with Caesar salad and prime rib for 2 net carbs, but passed on the broccoli, which has about 6 carbs. (I'm doing around 20g carbs per day now).

Great article:
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb#advice

Recipes:
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Keto 4 years for me. It's not a diet. It's choosing to eat in a way that will allow you to stay healthy. There are many benefits including reversed type 2 diabetes, reduced inflammation and joint pain, actual fat loss, reduced migraines. The weight loss is almost just a bonus.