ketosis without keto sticks (newbie)

Options
nicee247
nicee247 Posts: 31 Member
Hello friends, I started this way of eating on Monday. How do I know I'm in ketosis without Keto sticks. Thanks

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Keto sticks will only tell you if you are peeing ketones out... you ideally want to be burning them so just Keto-on and you will get there. Most people do get into ketosis in 3 days or so, but if your body is quite broken it could take up to a couple weeks.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Some typical clues are
    Significantly reduced hunger
    Mental clarity/energy
    Urinating slightly more frequently (maybe)
    Possibly a fruity and acetone scented breath
  • nicee247
    Options
    Thanks @canadjineh and @Sunny_Bunny_ . I don't think I'm in ketosis cos I wake up hungry and still feel drained. Should I up my fat to get into ketosis faster? What can I do to get into ketosis. Thanks
  • nicee247
    Options
    @canadjineh interesting read. Thanks so much
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    As far as I've read on here... There's a high chance of you being in ketosis when you consume 20g or less net carbs.

Very welcome to our group by the way! :smile:
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I don't have anything to add to your question, but welcome aboard!!
  • 603PIPER
    603PIPER Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard! I just started last week as well. One of my co-workers has been on keto for months with great success. What he has been doing is watching his macros 75%fat 20%protein 5%carbs. I have been sticking to those macros and it has been working so far. I have also been adding fasted cardio every other morning to assist with getting my body used to using fat for energy. After a few weeks I may try the sticks, or get a blood monitor, I believe they make some that check for ketones as well as sugar levels!
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Continue logging all of your food. If you're eating 20g or less of carbs, you're fine. Some medicines and vitamins have hidden sugar so be careful (liquid nyquil, cough syrups, cough drops, gummy vitamins).

Here is a great FAQ:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I have been experimenting with the keto sticks, and the moment my appetite drops I am in ketosis. I can literally feel it now.
  • 2manyhats
    2manyhats Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Sarahb29 wrote: »
    Continue logging all of your food. If you're eating 20g or less of carbs, you're fine. Some medicines and vitamins have hidden sugar so be careful (liquid nyquil, cough syrups, cough drops, gummy vitamins).

Here is a great FAQ:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq

Great read, thanks for sharing!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    nicee247 wrote: »
    Hello friends, I started this way of eating on Monday. How do I know I'm in ketosis without Keto sticks. Thanks

Hi. I sent you a couple resources by PM.
  • nicee247
    Options
    Thanks so much friends. I eat less than 20g of carbs. I guess I'll just enjoy my weight loss till I get into fat burning mode. I'll take my time to go through all the resources sent to me. I really appreciate your effort guys.

Another question please . How do I handle being
    committed to this lifestyle. I have to cook for my hubby and children and it's really been difficult. Thanks
  • FitChick_42
    FitChick_42 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    nicee247 wrote: »

Hi. I sent you a couple resources by PM.

Could I too have those resouces? It's pretty hard to find keto sticks where I live... thanks

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @RalfLott ... just in case you didn't see this request above.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Before my SO went low carb I would serve him low carb meals But he'd also get bread with soup, mash when needed, rice if he wanted it and pasta, I'd have zucchini noodles instead. I would just stay clear of the extra carbs. We'd both have veg with butter, salads, lots of meat and fish. After a while saying no to the carbs got easier and easier apart from ICECREAM!!! I cannot say no to ice cream. But now my portions are so much smaller. I can do with a few spoonfuls instead of bowls.