Distance walking

Options
BT_rescuemom
BT_rescuemom Posts: 284 Member
l191pwgbz8q0.jpeg

Working on eight miles on this gorgeous Sunday! I'm about four weeks away from a walking half marathon. I know I won't be able to partake in any of the aid stop fuel (gatoraid, fruit, etc...) so I'll have to pack my own in case of emergency. Any fat bombs that won't melt or pre-packaged things that might work? I'm concerned about electrolyte loss too...

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    A small tub of mascarpone cheese and a spoon. I suppose a small fanny pack if you need to be hands free. Nearly all fat and tasty. Check it out before dismissing.
  • BT_rescuemom
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    A small tub of mascarpone cheese and a spoon. I suppose a small fanny pack if you need to be hands free. Nearly all fat and tasty. Check it out before dismissing.

That sounds perfect! I have a running vest with many pockets so I can pack mule as much as I want lol
  • erinseattle
    erinseattle Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I do a 60 mile walk once a year - 20 miles a day for 3 days. I just hydrate with water and have maybe a string cheese and some salted nuts. There is peanut butter for bagels at the aid stations and I think I licked a container clean last year. I was concerned when I had my first walk as a low carber approaching, but I really didn't need much!
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    If you're fat adapted, you might not need any food at all during your walk, since your body will happily burn body fat. I would worry more about hydration than food. Good luck with your walk!
  • BT_rescuemom
    Options
    MyriiStorm wrote: »
    If you're fat adapted, you might not need any food at all during your walk, since your body will happily burn body fat. I would worry more about hydration than food. Good luck with your walk!

I would hope to be fat adapted by then. For my 8 miles today I got hungry by the end but by no means was I ready to "bonk".
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options

Never would've thought of that, great idea
  • BT_rescuemom
    Options
    http://thenourishedcaveman.com/keto-electrolyte-drink/

I might give this a try for my long walks coming up. I feel like I crashed a bit tonight after dinner. Not blood sugar, but maybe my sodium is low. Blech.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    If it is going to be hot and you are sweating, don't forget to get plenty of sodium. Electrolyte tablets are an idea. Or you could bring heavily salted peanuts... possibly both.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I'll be walking a half in January; I bought Hammer Nutrition Endurolytes on a recommendation from this forum. Love the convenience!

c9yhkenvymg7.jpg
  • BT_rescuemom
    Options
    @Phrick I'll have to look into that! Is it just a pill you take before exercise? After?
  • kpk54
    Options
    I'm frugal. Cheap some would say. Throughout the North Carolina summer heat and humidity, when I made my 3-6 mile round-trip exercise walks to the grocery store, I carried a couple boullion cubes in my pocket. If ever I would start to feel a bit funky (or before): I'd unwrap a boullion cube, pop it in my mouth, let it dissolve a bit, take a swig of water. Swish and down the hatch. Effective. I've been through a lot of boullion cubes for sodium.
  • BT_rescuemom
    Options
    @kpk54 good idea.
  • Persephone7676
    Persephone7676 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hammer makes good stuff. That reminded me they make Endurolytes. I need to pickup some of those.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @lodro - Any specific advice to add?
  • kpk54
    Options
    Yep. It was a @lodro comment a couple of months ago that tipped me off to the glories of mascarpone cheese. It has been a godsend to me-not for endurance but for the glorious high fat to low carb AND low protein ratio.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Someone mentioned string cheese, I was actually looking it up earlier today how long string cheese could go unrefrigerated because I left some on the counter this morning when I left for work. 4 hours is the max recommended before it might be unsafe or unpleasant to eat unrefridgerated string cheese. Probably the same for any type of cheese so I would just watch out for that. I'd recommend peanut or nut butters, nuts/seeds. Maybe make some crackers using nuts, seeds, almond flour, etc and you could eat that with your peanut butter.

Here's a strange idea. If you light BPC, how about buying those empty 2-4 oz travel jars that you would put your shampoo/conditioner in and load those up with some BPC. They solution would separate but you could shake them aggressively and take them like a shot or sip on them.
  • BT_rescuemom
    Options
    bowlerae wrote: »
    Someone mentioned string cheese, I was actually looking it up earlier today how long string cheese could go unrefrigerated because I left some on the counter this morning when I left for work. 4 hours is the max recommended before it might be unsafe or unpleasant to eat unrefridgerated string cheese. Probably the same for any type of cheese so I would just watch out for that. I'd recommend peanut or nut butters, nuts/seeds. Maybe make some crackers using nuts, seeds, almond flour, etc and you could eat that with your peanut butter.

Here's a strange idea. If you light BPC, how about buying those empty 2-4 oz travel jars that you would put your shampoo/conditioner in and load those up with some BPC. They solution would separate but you could shake them aggressively and take them like a shot or sip on them.

Or those BPC jellies someone posted earlier. Good idea!

• BT_rescuemom
    Options
    I was thinking of toying around with making something I could put in a little snack ziplock and cut a corner to squeeze in my mouth. Like a little energy/electrolyte gel squeeze.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    @BT_rescuemom I was thinking those BPC jellies might melt.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I'm frugal. Cheap some would say. Throughout the North Carolina summer heat and humidity, when I made my 3-6 mile round-trip exercise walks to the grocery store, I carried a couple boullion cubes in my pocket. If ever I would start to feel a bit funky (or before): I'd unwrap a boullion cube, pop it in my mouth, let it dissolve a bit, take a swig of water. Swish and down the hatch. Effective. I've been through a lot of boullion cubes for sodium.

Great idea....

I never thought about taking a bouillon cube in that way....Some days that would be preferable to drinking like broth when I'm not feeling like soup! :)