GoaD on the Run - Fri 10/7 (and beyond . . . )

Options
Calvin2008Brian
Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
This thread is for GOADies who like to run. New runners, old runners, and even wannabe runners meet here to discuss the joys and challenges of running. Use this space to log your miles, ask questions, share your race reports, or for anything else related to running.

New runners - and even those just thinking about starting out - are always welcome. There's no reason to lurk here. Join the pack and tell us about your running!

Oftentimes the GotR thread will pose a question or raise an issue in order to facilitate the conversation, but this is always an open forum to chat about any running-related topic.

TOPIC OF THE DAY: what do you think about big city races? Love them, hate them, lukewarm, or not sure?

Alt: your weekend running . . . what's your plan?

Replies

• jbrack381us
    jbrack381us Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I did a Glo Run in downtown Nashville and it was hugely disappointing compared to my expectations. I pick races more for the cause and the scenery rather than the size of the race event. The idea of doing one of the 5Ks on Music Row still sounds fun, maybe next year.

Rest day today, running somewhere in TN Saturday or Sunday and in the pool the other day.
  • shenry111
    shenry111 Posts: 4,144 Member
    Options
    Good Afternoon!

This week has just gotten away from me. We did something 3 of the 4 week nights so far this week. I have only run 1 mile in the last two weeks. I'm getting a little, OK a lot -- frustrated with that situation.

I did the Hospital Hill 10K in KCMO in 2010. This is also available in the half marathon and full marathon sizes. This race follows through the central core of Kansas City and draws thousands of runners. I really liked it. There were a lot of vendors and happenings that made it interesting. I am still wanting to do a full marathon at some point. It is simply one of those bucket list things. I will most likely make it an urban marathon. If I don't do the Kansas City Marathon (October each year), then perhaps something like a destination marathon. I'll bet DW would probably go for spending a long weekend somewhere new to us. I probably won't do something like Chicago or NY, just because those are too big, and I am afraid that I'm too slow to get an invitation from Boston. I'm thinking something like Atlanta, or Nashville, or who knows? Perhaps I could go see a friend of mine in Minnesota?

Have a great weekend! I am going to get some running in, I just don't know what that looks like yet. We are having some great running weather here. It got down into the 40s this morning.

Steve
  • mcbluesky
    mcbluesky Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Always enjoyed the Peachtree Road Race in Atlanta. Only big city race I have run. Really would love to do the NYC Marathon, but only a dream at this point. I have never been the fastest runner, so the crowds did not bother me.
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I loved running NYC. Seriously, probably the best day I've ever had as a runner (despite not having the race I thought I was capable of).

That said, the excitement I used to feel about big races has pretty much worn off. I'm volunteering this weekend at Twin Cities and (keep this under your hats) I'm not feeling at all pumped up about it. Possibly it's related to work pressure, or maybe I'm just in a funk, but whatever the case I'm just not very enthused. Hoping that changes before Sunday.
  • StuartPW
    StuartPW Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have never done a big City race. I have run the Quad City Half Marathon and suppose that is medium City. But there are about 25000 people at the Bix 7 mile race. That was a lot of fun and a great party. Basically I consider races to be a reward for training. It's still hard for me to really enjoy having a cold beer at 10 o'clock in the morning after a race. But never call me a quitter. B)
  • StuartPW
    Options
    StuartPW wrote: »
    I have never done a big City race. I have run the Quad City Half Marathon and suppose that is medium City. But there are about 25000 people at the Bix 7 mile race. That was a lot of fun and a great party. Basically I consider races to be a reward for training. It's still hard for me to really enjoy having a cold beer at 10 o'clock in the morning after a race. But never call me a quitter. B)

I run because there's a fat guy chasing me.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I hate crowds. I did the Shamrock Shuffle (8K) in Chicago two years in a row with friends. The second year it was so crowded (25,000 people) that you couldn't even run across the finish line as it was backed up. I swore I'd never do another big race again.

I did break that pledge when I did the Baltimore 1/2 marathon in 2014 with friends. But I honestly did NOT enjoy the experience so will stick to trail races.

Tomorrow is the Chicago marathon. I'm heading into the city soon (via train) to meetup with one of my Baltimore friends who is doing the marathon and some other mutual friends for lunch and boat tour. Weather is delightfully cool but sunny today.

ION I had a very pleasant 4.9 mile run this morning. I can't remember the last time I wore tights and gloves. It was 38 degrees at 6:50am when I started. So wonderful!
  • jbrack381us
    jbrack381us Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Just finished a little over 3 miles run/walk with about another .5 mi cool down walk at the nearby park. Running in daylight hours is so much easier. 58 degrees at the start with a stout breeze so took my light running jacket that is now a little roomy on me (shameless NSV, it barely fit on me and was not wearable when DW first bought it.) Also was able to wear one of my dri shirts underneath. I will have to lose some more pounds to wear those in public.

Have a great Saturday everyone!
  • gadgetgirlIL
    Options
    Another delightful morning to run! A bit warmer than yesterday but still very pleasant. 9.1 miles done at a faster average pace than yesterday even though I picked the route with the hills at the forest preserve today.
  • StuartPW
    Options
    Good luck with the Chicago Marathon! That's super cool.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    Options
    @StuartPW - it was my friend doing the Chicago marathon not me. She had a good race but not the finish time she needed for Boston. She will try again at Richmond next month.
  • nick197785
    nick197785 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've done my share of big city marathons including NYC, Phili, MCM and Boston. Lately I've favored smaller marathons. It seems like the logistics are easier and they are less expensive. Also, it is easier to run my goal pace when I don't have to bob & weave to pass people.
  • glennowill
    glennowill Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I guess Austin was the biggest city half-marathon that I've done. Next was StL. I definitely prefer the smaller crowds when it comes to racing, but I wouldn't mind trying out something big at some point... maybe Chicago or NYC.

Have 2 on tap for tonight. Slowly but surely building the mileage back up.