GoaD on the Run - Monday 10/10

Options
jbrack381us
jbrack381us Posts: 345 Member
This thread is for GOADies who like to run. New runners, old runners, and even wannabe runners meet here to discuss the joys and challenges of running. Use this space to log your miles, ask questions, share your race reports, or for anything else related to running.

New runners - and even those just thinking about starting out - are always welcome. There's no reason to lurk here. Join the pack and tell us about your running!

Oftentimes the GotR thread will pose a question or raise an issue in order to facilitate the conversation, but this is always an open forum to chat about any running-related topic.

TOPIC OF THE DAY: Destination running. Anywhere in the great big wide world that you have seen or have been to that you think it would be really cool to run there?

Replies

• Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I'm racing a half in Key West in January. Woot! I really haven't done anything else quite like that. NYC is my only other (arguable) destination race. I have run while vacationing in London, New York, Alaska, and other fun places (none of which come readily to mind -- d'oh). London was especially nice.
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Options
    Sweet little 4.5 mile run last evening. I got a little off schedule and missed one run last week, so looking to show a little discipline this week. Gym bag is packed and in my car for a strength workout today!
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I'd really like to do one of the trail runs up by Lake Superior. I did check to see if there was anything going on the weekend we were up there in August, but there wasn't anything.

My DH won't fly so whatever destination thing I would tackle would either be solo or with one of my running buddies. I did go to Virginia in May and did a trail 1/2 marathon with a dear friend who lives there. It was a beautiful area. I'm planning to go back next April for a visit. We will have a DIY run and bike rides.
  • nick197785
    nick197785 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Run 5.2 this morning. Sadly the heat was on in the house at 5am as it was under 40f outside.

My dream destination marathon is in Ireland on the Dingle Peninsula. It's on the bucket list.
  • jbrack381us
    jbrack381us Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I am in So Cal this week for work. Think Inland Empire, not LA or SD. I just do not know the area well enough to know somewhere decent to run that is close.

The bed won this AM over the hotel treadmill and elliptical. I may hit it tonight, but it will be later. Or just punt today and get at it tomorrow AM. I end up eating more on the road, so the gym and I really need to be friends this week.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    We are still having above average temperatures in the Chicago area. 59 degrees when I got out at 6:20am to run, yes before the sun was up. Got in a nice 6.8 mile run and saw the sun come up around the halfway point.
  • StuartPW
    StuartPW Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I was very sad to read that our dear friend and Mentor, Dennis Reynolds had passed away in June. I did not know it. He was a very kind man and his love for Life showed in his running and his support of others. His passing makes us all the poorer for it.

Thank you my friends here for sharing this sad news with me.
  • the_new_mark_2017
    the_new_mark_2017 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I would love to be able to run. I have an issue with my right ankle. I have Vertical Talus, which is an issue ( I don't know exactly about it) but it gives me premature arthritis in that part of my foot, really preventing me from doing any running, or side to side, stop start type exercise. I do cycle, but as soon as you tell someone you can't do something, you just wanna do it!!! I can go for one or two runs at the most, then the foot is sore for a week afterwards. Enjoy it while you can guys! On my bike I go... :)
  • 0ysterboy
    0ysterboy Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Got in 2.5 mi this evening after work. The humidity has lifted after Matthew passed through... could summer FINALLY be over?
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Options
    StuartPW wrote: »
    I was very sad to read that our dear friend and Mentor, Dennis Reynolds had passed away in June. I did not know it. He was a very kind man and his love for Life showed in his running and his support of others. His passing makes us all the poorer for it.

Sorry for not telling you sooner, Stuart. I didn't realize you didn't get the news back in June. I'm 100% with you in my respect for Dennis. I miss him a great deal and think of him often. We would have had such a good time bantering about the Gopher-Hawkeye game this past weekend!
  • glennowill
    glennowill Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    StuartPW wrote: »

Sorry for not telling you sooner, Stuart. I didn't realize you didn't get the news back in June. I'm 100% with you in my respect for Dennis. I miss him a great deal and think of him often. We would have had such a good time bantering about the Gopher-Hawkeye game this past weekend!

I got the news a bit late myself, Stuart. Will definitely miss having Dennis around here. He passed too young.