Living the Lifestyle - 10/11/2016

Options
misterhub
misterhub Posts: 6,307 Member
edited October 2016 in Social Groups
Tuesday, 10/11/2016

Everyone says it, but just how do you do it? How do you take the guidelines of the WW program and turn them into a lifestyle you can live every day...from now on? That is what we are here to explore. Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Newbie? Join in! Veteran? Join in! Your thoughts may be just what someone else needs to hear.

Monday -- Podkey / Bob
Tuesday -- misterhub / Greg
Wednesday -- beachwoman2006 / Cindy
Thursday -- Calvin2008Brian / Brian
Friday -- Al_Howard / Al

Topic: Homecooked or Takeout

In our current world, it is often difficult to always have a homecooked meal. So, we often turn to frozen food or takeout. How about you? Is it always a homecooked meal? Or, do you have a frozen entree(s) you trust to fill in the gaps? Or, if you fill in those gaps with takeout, how do you ensure it provides the appropriate nutritional requirements without packing in too much of whatever you do not need?

Replies

• podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,105 Member
    Options
    It really is "always" homecooked in general. I don't remember the last time I had a frozen entree but been more than a year for sure. When we go out to eat we just eat where we go and am currently doing that about once a week. Yes a few times we do bring something home but it is rare for us except for "leftovers" as portion sizes are too big eating out.

My personal solution for eating at home is simple. If I have time I might make something more complicated. If I am pressed for time or tired I keep it simple. I also usually have enough cooked chicken breast on hand as I always make enough for at least two dinners and lunches with just the two of us at home. So simple dinner I plunk some on my plate and microwave some veggies for 5&1/2 minutes.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,491 Member
    Options
    We rarely cook except for the micro wave. Nearly every morning its regular oatmeal. After my workout I'll be stopping a local diner for a veggie omlet. Tomatoes instead of potatoes, likely rye toast.

Dinner? If we bring something in, or have leftovers, we always nuke some frozen broccoli to have with it. I do the same on rare occasions when I make frozen dinners DW won't eat those.

Guess I'm the poster child for you don't have to cook. When we did cook, it was once per week.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Like Bob, nearly all my meals are home cooked. I do a lot of cooking in bulk so that I have pre-portioned meals to take to work and reheat. I can't remember the last time I bought a frozen entree.
  • goldenfrisbee
    goldenfrisbee Posts: 1,640 Member
    Options
    Most of our meals are home cooked, but we do pizza and Chinese often as well. I just make sure to measure and track. And when I know we are going to order something for dinner, I try to eat less at lunch.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I batch cook items on Sunday so I don't have to worry about food during the week. I eat out maybe once a week to once every two weeks as a part of a fun night out. I do have a couple of "emergency" back up frozen meals (they're so much cheaper and healthier than last minute take out at the work cafeteria). Birdeye has protein steamer bags that are pretty good and convenient. I also enjoy some of Trader Joe's frozen items, but I don't eat them regularly because it's so much cheaper to just cook my own. Luckily due to my activity level and age, sodium is not a major concern so having a frozen meal now and again doesn't hurt anything. I do try to make sure they include lean protein sources and vegetables.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,142 Member
    Options
    Since retirement, almost all of our meals are home cooked. We do get Subway or (rarely) pizza take-out. We do enjoy going out for dinner, but trying to keep that under control.
  • leeless511
    leeless511 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I cook or prepare almost every meal (we work from home) so breakfast, lunch and dinner is made at home. When we get busy or have something to do after work we do get takeout, the normal line up of takeout is: Sushi (fairly plan friendly); Veggie Egg Foo Yung (also plan friendly) a big salad with protein from a local restaurant; and Subway lower point options. In that order. Oh, and I do Wendy's Chili if I forget lunch while on the road.
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Mostly home cooked, rarely anything frozen except the occasional frozen pizza. We eat out 1-2 times/week and usually bring leftovers home that make up another meal or two.

>How do you ensure it provides the appropriate nutritional requirements without packing in too much of whatever you do not need?

I'm not sure I'd say I'm *ensuring* this, but, hit-and-miss, I just try to make the better choice and avoid the crap.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,105 Member
    Options
    If we were to do take out we would have to drive someplace and wait in line. I have little patience for that when it is easier and faster at home so that's part of it.
  • Authenticity3
    Authenticity3 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    We do a mix. Most of the time I cook (tonight was chicken BBQ sandwiches with awesome slaw), but we always eat out on Fridays (#datenightthemovement). And, every once in a while I'll do a frozen entree. A couple weeks ago we had a Stouffer's lasagna. One serving is 8 or 9, and I served it with a salad. Easy peasy. We do a rotisserie chicken every once in a while, too.
  • MICHGOLFER2
    MICHGOLFER2 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Mostly home cooked here. I freeze individual portions as I cook to pull out later when DH is traveling or I just don't feel like cooking. Tonight was Ranchero Beef over baked brown rice (both from the freezer) with a side of cole slaw. We do like to eat out, especially on the weekend with friends and/or family. What I have tried to avoid lately is getting drive through take out for convenience, rather than as part of my plan.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    This has been a change with being on-program. Take-out food has almost entirely disappeared from my diet. In fact, I eat out a lot less too. Managing food at home works much better for me and given the whole point allocation thing, I usually prefer it now to take out or frozen entrees.

I didn't eat a whole lot of either pre-WW, but it was definitely more frequent than it is now. In hindsight, I think this dynamic is part of the 'win-win-win' for me. Better food that tastes better and better for me.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,307 Member
    Options
    Great to see you, @Authenticity3 !
  • Authenticity3
    Authenticity3 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Greg! :)