Protein

megdel90
megdel90 Posts: 1 Member
Hello Emily! I was wondering your thoughts on quest bars as well as shakeology protein shakes for a snack. I current eat/drink both. I was wondering if you either had better recommendations or if I should really try to stick to Whole Foods? I travel a bit so sometimes it is hard to bring non packaged items. Thanks!

Replies

• ewalkerr2932
    ewalkerr2932 Posts: 9 Member
    edited October 2016
    Hi!

It is best to stick to whole foods as much as possible. It is OK to do items like quest bars and pre-made shakes every once in a while (1-2 times per week.) Quest bars are high in sugar alcohols (hard to digest) and have way more added soluble fiber than anyone should be consuming in a small bar. They're not the worst thing for you... but I would not consider these bars "healthy" as they are marketed to be. Shakes are already blended which means some of the digestion has been done for you. Your body does not have to work to break these down. They are quickly absorbed- giving your body quick calories, but not sustaining satiety. In addition, the shakeology shakes are between 100-200 calories. Enough for a small snack but definitely not a meal : )!

Try traveling with some more whole food options like nuts, hard boiled eggs, even high quality jerky can be a good to go option a few times a week (ie Krave.) I recommend glass/BPA free containers whenever possible, and getting a good quality frozen bag.

Hope this helps!! :smile: