Learning from DNS

Options
runbabarun
runbabarun Posts: 89 Member
My first marathon is scheduled tomorrow, but I already know the result—a DNS. It is high time I made that PT appointment.

I cancelled the hotel reservation yesterday, and I can put away the bag containing my racing gear. I packed it earlier this week, on one of those rare days when my leg felt mildly better. I did have several of those things-ain’t-too-bad days. But they have been few and far in-between, and always thanks to the slightest sign of improvement—perceived or real—while trying to downplay the pain during and after the runs.

I thought having the bag by the door would be one less hurdle to clear for my mind flooded with self-doubt. It is packed with carefully selected running fuel, my favorite pair of running shorts, and the only pair of socks that seem to last over 20 miles without endowing my feet with blisters of various artistic shapes. What else could you possibly need for a good race?

It turns out, in the least, a good pair of high hammies, free of tendinopathy. This is the second major case of injury that presents a potential long term hiatus for me. The first was an Achilles issue that got worse because I ignored it. This time I am not going to make the same mistake—especially after reading how it could turn to a long term/chronic issue.

I am still trying to come to terms with it and it will take time to get over this. I just hope not as long as the time needed to get my body straightened out.

Best of luck to everyone who is racing this weekend!

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Oh good luck with that high hamstring tendonosis. I have it on my left, with a list of other maladies in that left hip. "A mess" the doc calls it. I start PT Monday. I've been off for 15 weeks/post surgery and I have no real idea when a return will happen or when I can even ditch the crutches. I'm praying the PT can make this call well before my November 28th f/u appointment.

PT can offer some great services. I know high hamstring tendonosis is difficult to be free of. So be patient, and don't let it get to you.

I still have a packed running bag in my trunk, also swim and cycling gear in the stowaway. Can't take the runner out of this girl. You are not alone with a DNS, I can think of a few others here.
  • runbabarun
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I still have a packed running bag in my trunk, also swim and cycling gear in the stowaway. Can't take the runner out of this girl. You are not alone with a DNS, I can think of a few others here.

Love this! Thanks Elise!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Even though it's not a fun decision, you're making the right one. Last fall I ran a marathon on a strained hamstring (very mild compared to what you're dealing with!) and it was completely awful. I only PR'd by 2 minutes, came in 30 mins slower than I'd trained for, and I had horrible cramps for the last 10-11 miles of the race as my legs compensated for the injured hammie. I wish I'd taken the smart route and DNS'd that race like you're doing!

Good luck with the PT, and I hope you're on the road to recovery soon!
  • runbabarun
    Options
    I had horrible cramps for the last 10-11 miles of the race as my legs compensated for the injured hammie. I wish I'd taken the smart route and DNS'd that race like you're doing!

Good luck with the PT, and I hope you're on the road to recovery soon!

Thank you Kristine! Same thing happened to me in my recent training runs-- my calves started acting up, which has not once been an issue. It was a major red flag.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Oh, bummer! Still, a DNS isn't anywhere near as frustrating as a DNF. I've done both now, and the hands down I hate the DNF more.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    After trying for a couple weeks to beat my knee/it band issue this past winter I finally gave up and DNS my spring marathon. I couldn't defer either so I not only did I miss the race, I lost money. Oh well. It happens.

My knee finally got better when I backed off my training. The rest of my year has been much better.

Good luck.
  • runbabarun
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    I couldn't defer either so I not only did I miss the race, I lost money. Oh well. It happens.

My knee finally got better when I backed off my training. The rest of my year has been much better.

Good luck.

Thanks for this! I was too late to defer as well. Glad to hear about the recovery phase though. clearly I was doing something wrong despite all my caution. I need to be even smarter once I get through this mess.

@MobyCarp it may have well been the same hill that got the best of us!!!
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Definitely the right decision - and the money's gone at the point when you pay to enter; you're not getting it back whether you do it or not (given you couldn't defer) so the options become (1) lose the money and don't make your injury worse, or (2) lose the money, have a painful and miserable day, and make the injury worse too (potentially spending more money on PT). I never understand the 'I'll do it because I've paid for it' attitude - just concentrate on getting healthy for the longer term.
  • Wendy98
    Wendy98 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I had my first DNS this year and couldn't be more at peace with my decision. It was a race requiring a hotel stay. It made no sense to run a mediocre race and shell out more $$$. I was happy to cut my losses and work on healing.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I've had two DNS's this year due to injury, a 5K road race and a 25k trail race. It sucks, but the risk of further injury would suck more.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Last year, I should have DNS'd two races; a marathon and a10-miler when my hip flexor rebelled at training for my third marathon in less than two months just two weeks before the marathon. After realizing that tapering was going to mean no running (and I didn't for 12 days prior to the marathon), I survived through both. But it also meant a month of no running and then a long rebuild back to marathon condition over the next year.

Actually, the time off and the slow rebuilding has greatly improved my running endurance and speed. It forced me to run slower for a longer period of time and to make small increases in my weekly running mileage. But there might not have been as much pain had I DNS'd.
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Oh, bummer! Still, a DNS isn't anywhere near as frustrating as a DNF. I've done both now, and the hands down I hate the DNF more.

ok I am going to ask a stupid question instead of using google. What is DNF stand for??
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @antennachick Did Not Finish
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    @antennachick Did Not Finish
    lmao I honestly thought it was a name of an injury :P thanks!

• ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Options

Such a great observation! I'm still feeling pretty sad about my DNS at the Chicago marathon this year but thinking about it this way helps a lot.
  • runbabarun
    Options
    ariceroni wrote: »

Such a great observation! I'm still feeling pretty sad about my DNS at the Chicago marathon this year but thinking about it this way helps a lot.

I wish thinking helped keep the aerobic base! just started giving it a gentle go- and after 6 weeks of nonsense- little to none left in the tank. Bunch of extra pounds to boot too. Let's see what see what the ortho says.
  • alikonda
    alikonda Posts: 2,358 Member
    Options
    ariceroni wrote: »

Yep! I've recently decided 2016 CIM will be a DNS for me. I am having too many niggling injuries at this point to keep up my training schedule, so I am going to back off for a while until I drop a few pounds/re-strengthen some of the supporting muscles I need to prevent old injuries from coming back to haunt me. I hate to admit defeat, but it's not worth months of injury recovery later.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options

Very much this. I had my first DNF this year, at mile 57 into a 70 miler.