Day 4(again) and struggling

Options
This just sucks. I'm completely convinced that Keto is what is best and what I should do, but getting on it and staying on it just sucks the first two weeks. Day one and two are fine. Three is kinda crummy, but day 4.... it just sucks. I am so close to giving up, again. I'm grumpy and just annoyed.
How do people do it? How do you get through the withdrawals and actually stay on plan?
I have about 100 pds to lose, more if I want to be in single digit sizes.

Replies

• MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    What are your bothersome symptoms? What is making it difficult for you?
  • 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Carbs.. I want them. I'm hungry, but not hungry. I just want to eat a plate full of noodles I'm grumpy. Kinda feels like PMS grumpy but shouldn't be that. A little headache, but had a bad day at work and that happens
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    eat some fat! maybe some pepperoni, shack such avocado or a fat bomb :-)
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Allow yourself to eat, but keep it keto. I'm also going through this :neutral: it's blah.
  • MiamiDawn
    MiamiDawn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    8 weeks in and I still sometimes struggle. Allow yourself to eat but keep it Keto. Eat more fat. Have Keto friendly foods readily available - I buy cracker cut cheeses, olives, hard boiled eggs, macadamia nuts - things I can pop in my mouth quickly and easily so I don't feel "deprived" of what I want. Find substitutions for trouble foods. I have to go to a weekly meeting and they always have pastries, so I started bringing something Keto. My biggest thing is record before you eat. Sometimes just logging in down makes you reconsider. Much of this lifestyle is not only eating Keto, but breaking old habits - like learning not to eat when you are not hungry, or stopping when you are full, or portion control - granted ... In the beginning it's hard, and it does take work to plan, but once you get past the initial phase it truly does get easier - plus we're all here for you and we've got your back,
  • hmcarlt
    hmcarlt Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You are not alone! I just restarted the diet this week and I'm now hitting the day 4 keto flu. I knew it was coming and I know it will pass. My advice is similar to others, eat more fat to help satisfy the cravings. My absolute favorite snack for this kind of feeling is cheese wrapped in salami or pepperoni and a cup of warm chicken broth...yumm! Stay strong and stick with it. I promise by this time next week you will notice your energy returning, you will think clearer and the scale will start tipping in your favor. It's worth it!
  • sherryrichie
    sherryrichie Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm a couple months into keto, and I honestly don't even think about the carbs anymore. Eat the fat, don't worry about calories for now, and listen to everyone here. They know their *kitten* and won't steer you wrong. You've got this!!!
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I find that sometimes it is just the act of eating that is being craved and not hunger. The things that I have found that help are having an occasional snack that is time consuming. By that I mean things like sunflower seeds in the shell. It is hard to overeat sunflower seeds, but it helps with fulfilling the urge to eat. It also helps another issue which is increasing salt.

Drinking more water has also been helpful for me. A sedentary person should drink at least 1/2 oz per lb of body weight. If you are active, you need to bump that up. This is especially important if you are losing fat because in addition to storing fat, your fat cells also store toxins. When you start burning fat, that goes into your blood and you need to flush it out.

When you do eat, eat slower. This is ridiculous hard for me, but it makes a huge difference. It takes time for your brain to get the message that you are full. Many keto friendly foods don't take as long to eat per calorie consumed as carb heavy food especially in the snack type food (think cheese vs popcorn).

The last part is keep moving. Boredom or sitting still seem to make many of us have the desire to munch. At work, when I get that urge (which is pretty regular), one way I combat it is to get up and get a refill of my water or coffee or just do a lap around the office area. You may not need the physical motion. It may work just to have something that occupies your mind enough that you don't think about munching.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Are you logging your food currently? Perhaps you are not eating ENOUGH. As other people mentioned, eat more fat. It could be possible that your intake calories are too low or your trying to eat more protein than fat and it's not satisfying you. I would continue to log (or start) if I were you just so you know exactly how much you're eating and what your macros are at. People mention snacking on cheese, bacon, eggs, etc. Those all have a lot of protein as well so it can be easy for your protein levels to outdo your fat. As someone mentioned, try fat bombs and cooking food with butter or ghee. As coconut oil/MCT oil where you can.
  • triumpet
    triumpet Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Get onto YouTube, watch one of the programmes on how the sugar industry, paid governments to con us all, get mad, I have done this twice now & it's kept me on track, coz I hate being conned & don't want to give them my money. I am also on day 4. If that doesn't work brush your teeth, I know it sounds mad but it does work. Good luck, hope you manage this bump in the road.
  • cstehansen
    Options
    triumpet wrote: »
    Get onto YouTube, watch one of the programmes on how the sugar industry, paid governments to con us all, get mad, I have done this twice now & it's kept me on track, coz I hate being conned & don't want to give them my money. I am also on day 4. If that doesn't work brush your teeth, I know it sounds mad but it does work. Good luck, hope you manage this bump in the road.

On this note, check out this thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10456568/how-the-sugar-industry-shifted-blame-to-fat#latest

which includes a link to this article in the NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/13/well/eat/how-the-sugar-industry-shifted-blame-to-fat.html?_r=1
  • coloradoartstudio
    coloradoartstudio Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm only on day 10 - but I already feel so much better every day, physically and mentally.

I haven't had much in the way of the keto flu other than an occasional mild headache, but I did find myself mindlessly browsing in the fridge earlier this week and that was out of habit/boredom?
    • What I've been doing is being inspired and motivated by looking at the success stories with before and after photos - I also love when people share their health info (lab work or prescription med reduction)
    • Listening to keto podcasts - they're informative and motivating (I work from home, so podcasts are in lieu of radio)
    • Pre-logging my food every day with built in snacks so I have something to look forward to.
    • Exploring a whole bunch of LCHF recipes on Pinterest - I've been so fat restricted the past 10 years that I feel like I'm cheating on this woe.

Thanks for those links to the sugar industry - I'm going to check those out.
  • Vowder
    Vowder Posts: 378 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I like challenges and shared accountability. When I am down, I spend a ton of time on this board to remind me of the benefits and help me through it all. When I first started Keto, I read every message a bunch of times.

I also join challenges to get me focused and busy.

I just joined another challenge. I did the same one this summer as well. It is called the "Amazing Race". Each participant is grouped into 1 of 5 or 6 teams of 20 people each. You log a mile for each minute of workouts. As a team, you "travel" from destination to destination.

At each stop (each week), you are challenged to do each of three challenges. You are not graded for quality, only time invested into the challenge. For instance, you might have to follow a 10 minute yoga video 3 times. Again, not graded on quality... just do your best. You may have to track all your food and drink for 5 days of 7 days, and you may have to climb a given number of steps.

If you body is not capable of doing a challenge, there is always a workaround. Ultimately, you get points for time invested and effort in completing the challenge. I assure you I failed miserably on the highland dancing challenge last time round but found yoga quite intriguing. Never would have done either without the challenge in the first place. The lady that hosts the event is spectacular.

The reason I like them is that I don't want to let your teammates down and when we do well it feels great to be part of a team. To me it is part of the whole package of working on yourself.

Just remember, the first few days or the hardest. It only gets easier with time.

Vowder

I found the link to the challenge I mentioned above;
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/116418-amazing-race-fall-fun
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I'm only on day 10 - but I already feel so much better every day, physically and mentally.

I haven't had much in the way of the keto flu other than an occasional mild headache, but I did find myself mindlessly browsing in the fridge earlier this week and that was out of habit/boredom?
    • What I've been doing is being inspired and motivated by looking at the success stories with before and after photos - I also love when people share their health info (lab work or prescription med reduction)
    • Listening to keto podcasts - they're informative and motivating (I work from home, so podcasts are in lieu of radio)
    • Pre-logging my food every day with built in snacks so I have something to look forward to.
    • Exploring a whole bunch of LCHF recipes on Pinterest - I've been so fat restricted the past 10 years that I feel like I'm cheating on this woe.

Thanks for those links to the sugar industry - I'm going to check those out.

We're twins!!!!! Well I don't do podcasts but I did enjoy the days of Keto Summit I listened to and I have signed up for the Fat Summit.
  • coloradoartstudio
    coloradoartstudio Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    bowlerae wrote: »
    We're twins!!!!! Well I don't do podcasts but I did enjoy the days of Keto Summit I listened to and I have signed up for the Fat Summit.

Oooh - I'll have to check those out - off to google. :smile:

• cstehansen
    Options
    bowlerae wrote: »

Oooh - I'll have to check those out - off to google. :smile:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10467748/fat-summit#latest