LTL Friday October 14, 2016

Options
Al_Howard
Al_Howard Posts: 8,142 Member
Everyone says it, but just how do you do it? How do you take the guidelines of the WW program and turn them into a lifestyle you can live every day...from now on? That is what we are here to explore. Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Newbie? Join in! Veteran? Join in! Your thoughts may be just what someone else needs to hear.

Monday –- Podkey (Bob)
Tuesday -- Misterhub (Greg)
Wednesday -- Beachwoman2006 (Cindy)
Thursday -- Calvin2008 (Brian)
Friday -- Al_Howard (Al)

Here's some news you shouldn't take sitting down: The more you sit, the greater your risk of heart disease, obesity, diabetes, and other ailments. Even if you work out for an hour every day, it's the amount of time you spend sitting that has the biggest impact on your health. According to some estimates, the average American is sedentary for more than half the time they're awake — about 7.7 hours.
8 ways to turn seated moments into movement moments
1. Use an alarm on your smartphone to remind you to get up from your desk and move every hour.
2. Need to consult with a coworker? Opt for a standing meeting. Or invite him or her for a walk around the office.
3. Do laps around the room at home while you talk on the phone.
4. Get off the couch during commercials and lift weights, do lunges, or march in place.
5. Instead of a board game, challenge your kids to something active like Simon Says, charades, or a Wii Sports game.
6. Take a Fitbreak! Our app, Fitbreak by Weight Watchers®, available for iOs and Android gives one-minute moves you can do at work or home.
7. Cheer on your kid's team while walking along the sidelines rather than sitting in the bleachers or on a lawn chair.
8. Discover more everyday ways to get moving here.

Any more ideas, work related, home related, or, perhaps, physically inhibited?

Replies

• Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I squirm and fidget a lot when I have to sit for long periods. I wonder if that helps? ;)

One thing I regularly do to force a little more activity into my day is to park in the far corner of the parking lot. It's not much, but it's something.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I am incredibly lucky and have a sit/stand desk. If I didn't, I'd probably invest in an under the desk bicycle so I can move even when forced to sit.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,491 Member
    Options
    After years of hearing this, about 2 months ago I began sitting on the floor with my legs straight out in front of me for about 30 min each day. My back quit hurting. Really.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,105 Member
    Options
    Does moving a full mug with the wrist count???
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,105 Member
    Options
    Little movements DO mean a lot. Some folks burn upwards of 1000 extra calories daily with tiny movements amazing as that seems.
  • MICHGOLFER2
    MICHGOLFER2 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I've tried to be less efficient at home and at the office. Take things up or downstairs right at the time, rather than setting them in a pile to take all at once. Get up and go ask a co-worker a quick question rather than emailing. Our office manager just got a sit/stand desk. And my son uses one at his job.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Nothing really new but I try to 'take the long way' most of the time: parking far away, using stairs instead of elevator, walking vs driving when feasible, etc. One thing I really miss about living in town (the only thing, really) is that I used to walk or bike most everywhere. That was 20+ years ago...

When I get my office straightened out (a task in its own right), I'm going to look into the sit/stand desk. I used to work closely with someone who used a drafting table most of the time and most of our meetings were standing. I certainly didn't mind it.
  • Authenticity3
    Authenticity3 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    We discussed this in meetings this week. :) Here's one of the things I really love about the Beyond the Scale plan ... it's not just about weight loss. If the only reason we were to get up was to burn copious quantities of calories, then those little things would be pretty inconsequential. But, if we realize that sitting for too long can make us feel stiff, grumpy, sore, and tired, and getting up and moving more can make us feel energized, happier, less stiff, and more awake and alert and THAT matters, too, then it's valuable. And, for many of us, feeling that way also tends to lead to making better food choices, too, which then DOES influence weight loss in a tangible way.