Low carb but if it fits, I eat it.

Options
PamWOhio
PamWOhio Posts: 120 Member
Hi Everyone. I have gotten such wonderful help from people here and reading through all the threads has been an enormous help but I want to make sure I am not screwing up.

I happen to be one of those people who don't like a lot of veggies. I can count on 1 hand how many I like and nothing leafy or stalky is on my short list.

I have my carbs set at 15% which is 45 grams. I use that as a max and usually come in between 15 and 35. I plan it so I can have a ham sandwich on my 8 carb a slice bread because there is also 5 grams of fiber in 2 slices so I can work with it. If I am in the single digits on carbs, sometimes I even squeeze in a small baked potato with dinner because they are so very filling for me and I love them.

Do any of you do this or are you super strict where you allow no breads, pasta or potatoes?

I just want to make sure I am not doing something wrong with the low carb lifestyle. I just assumed if I can fit it in my limit and I have no adverse icky feelings from eating it that it is ok.

Thanks in advance for any input you might have. I have only been on MFP for 72 days so am still learning but BOY do some of the Facebook LCHF groups get nasty. 1 says don't add extra fat and concentrate on protein and the other one tells people to add fat to everything so I am kind of confused as to which is the best way to go for fat loss. Of course my instinct says try and stay on the lower end of fat but my brain is mush from all the reading I am doing....lol

Replies

• PamWOhio
    Options
    Thank you very much, Samantha. I have sugar free mini hershey bars here for a quick chocolate fix. It is so yummy now and again but I don't make a habit out of it. I cut out all soda except I found Coke Zero so am drinking some of that now and I actually managed to squeeze in a HALF of a Hostess cupcake the other day...hahahahaa
  • PamWOhio
    Options
    I am trying SO hard not to be afraid of fat. We had it drilled in our heads for years that it was bad and my brain automatically keeps sending me back to if we are putting all the extra fat in our bodies, won't our bodies burn that fat instead of our stored fat? That is my only hangup about it and I have always been afraid to ask because I would look like an idiot.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    PamWOhio wrote: »
    Thank you very much, Samantha. I have sugar free mini hershey bars here for a quick chocolate fix. It is so yummy now and again but I don't make a habit out of it. I cut out all soda except I found Coke Zero so am drinking some of that now and I actually managed to squeeze in a HALF of a Hostess cupcake the other day...hahahahaa

Yeah, there are people who cannot do this because it sets of cravings or may cause internal problems and I TOTALLY understand that.

But if it doesn't cause you any issues and it fits your daily goals, then I say...go ahead.

I make wine fit my daily goals often :D
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @PamWOhio - Just to make sure you aren't inadvertently damaging your body in any way, I'd go to the doctor for a full work up. You may have nutritional deficiencies you need to treat or health conditions you need to address. Many of us who have gotten into a rut that got us here in the first place find that as we're "washing the mud off the car we haven't washed in 5, 10, 20 years" we're finally "seeing the damage we did underneath."

Overall, I would say that if you have no negative reactions, then do what you will, but I find that any time I'm intentionally working something more than 2-3 bites of a food (such as a snack size mini like you mentioned) into my plan more than once a month, to me, that tends to point to something I'm missing or an addictive-food type tendency that I've yet to address. I know that is how it fits ME, anyway.

That being said, if you don't know for certain that you don't have blood sugar issues, there might be more impact to including these foods. I just want to say that I do not judge anyone at all who is able metabolically to include more "treats" along the way - I just hope everyone does the testing before or during to see the more "hidden" impact of their foods choices - before it gets away from them...

HUGS and best of luck on your continued journey!
  • PamWOhio
    Options
    The strangest thing happened to me with one of my favorite cheeses. We always get Land O Lakes American Cheese from the deli. I have always loved it but the last couple times I have had it on a sandwich or burger, it tasted horrible and I have no clue why.
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I've been on this a couple of weeks. The things I thought I'd miss .. like bread and potatoes, oddly, I don't. I can walk right by them. Don't get me wrong, I still love them! But I don't have to have them. The one thing that I do TOTALLY miss is fruit. So yes, if I have room, I have some. I had 60 grams of blueberries with heavy cream the other night and it fit beautifully into my day. It's not every day mind you. It's been the only time since starting and I'm good with that :)
  • PamWOhio
    Options
    It is the same here. I don't have my wheat bread or a potato every day. I am now average 1 small potato a week and 1 sandwich for lunch a week and never on the same day although when I was ok with 50 grams a day, I would do both the same day. I don't crave carbs more from having them and I don't have any medical issues for keeping my carbs low. It is just something I wanted to try to see if it works for me.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Personally I am gluten free and don't like most specifically made GF foods, so I don't really eat bread or pasta. I rarely touch potatoes or rice.

I eat very low carb 6 days of the week and allow myself to relax a bit on day 7. That suits me and my lifestyle. Stops most of my cravings as nothing is off limit unless it contains gluten of course.

I have noticed that my taste buds have changed immensely though. A lot of sweet foods tastes far too sweet now. Even vegetables tastes differently to me than they did before. My eating habits have totally changed.
    PamWOhio wrote: »
    The strangest thing happened to me with one of my favorite cheeses. We always get Land O Lakes American Cheese from the deli. I have always loved it but the last couple times I have had it on a sandwich or burger, it tasted horrible and I have no clue why.

• tribal351
    tribal351 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I can't do that. I know if I cheat just a bit, or reward myself with something that shouldn't be in my diet regardless of fitting in my macros, it will turn in to a cheat week. Then month.
    For the record, I hate veggies too. I just know that in order to succeed, I can't cheat; ever.
  • PamWOhio
    Options
    I completely understand, Sunny_Bunny. I am actually a recovering addict. I was addicted to opiate pain pills for over a decade. I cleaned up 7 years ago. I have an extremely addictive personality but the food thing doesn't seem to be a problem. Yes, before I started my journey, all I ate was junk.... Processed, frozen, fast food...you name it. I don't have an overwhelming sweet tooth. I never have. Usually just a small bite or two is enough to satiate any craving I might get on occasion. Salt was more of a demon for me but not having a problem with that either. I eat lunch and dinner and rarely an evening snack of a cheese stick. I LOVE meat so that is a good thing. When I do have the bread it is a 35 calorie a slice whole wheat bread that is 8 grams of carbs a slice and 2.5 grams of fiber per slice. I haven't had a sandwich in a couple weeks. At first I had a couple a week but have been enjoying all the beef, chicken, pork and fish that I just haven't thought of it. On occasion, I will toast 1 piece and put some of my cream cheese with chives on it for a piece of toast with my breakfast but I haven't even been doing that lately which is weird because I really love it. I cut out all my sugared drinks...even the soda stream which was kind of half and half as far as diet/regular pop goes but I hated wasting carbs so started making carbonated water and adding orange water enhancer which tastes exactly like Orange Crush so it is nice. I did recently discover Coke Zero and Cherry Coke Zero. They either don't taste like diet to me or I got used to the Soda Stream Cola so I don't notice it as much. I am limiting those but have them here if I want my cola. Again, I don't feel the need so much anymore. I am not used to the changes and very surprised by them. I will be careful about what I talk about but I figured the forums here were for talking and asking questions so I didn't know if would cause others any problems. I will try and be more mindful of what I talk about in the future. Thank you so much for your input.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I didn't find your mention of a half of a cupcake, a piece of bread or a potato any more enticing than I find the talk and pics of mug cakes and oopsie bread enticing. We've had threads on "low carb bread" and many of those may not be as low carb as the bread you mentioned. Or as tasty.

What sort of bread are you eating that has 8 carbs per slice with 5 net per 2? I might want to get some. I could fit that into my lifestyle/macros better than low carb ice cream which is talked about here frequently. I never binged on bread.
  • PamWOhio
    Options
    kpk54. It is 16 carbs for 2 slices and 5 fiber so 11 net carbs for 2 slices. It is Healthy Life Whole Wheat/Whole Grain. They also have it in White as well but I prefer the Wheat.
  • PamWOhio
    Options
    OHHHH...I DO want to try the Halo Top Ice Cream. I heard it was really good but I am not a big Ice Cream person unless, of course, it is Mint Chocolate Chip....lol
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, I didn't mean to come off the way I did. What you said was totally fine. Just the fact that people in other online places are known to get jumpy like was mentioned got me thinking that their reason could be due to mention of the off plan foods being fit in.... usually when I've heard about those kinds of reactions, it seems associated with people asking questions about these foods. So just got me thinking that it could set some people up with the wrong ideas if it's just commonly accepted as a typical thing most people just do.
    Anyway, I will always advocate doing what works best for each of us. Even when that includes real sugar sweets on planned occasion. :smile:
  • PamWOhio
    Options
    It is totally fine Sunny_Bunny. You didn't say anything wrong. It's all good. :)