Calories???

Options
2»

Replies

• Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    IThe numbers don't rule my life, they're like bumper rails lol.

HAHA! I love that! <3
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    moonlights wrote: »
    I keep an eye on calories as a side result of logging and seem to average between 1500-1600 cals a day. I lose fairly consistently on that, while on low calorie (1200 calories a day) I lost incredibly slowly. I'm 5'2", female, BMI around 35 and all the calorie charts would say I should be on 1200 so I think I'm living proof that for some people at least the source of the calories matters more than the calories themselves. I can also have very high calorie days once a week or so (2000+ calories) without stalling weight loss.

I think it's trial and error to find a level that works for you, but I also think people can set their calories much too low and leave themselves a bit stuck if they ever need to cut back later. I feel good eating at a calorie level that keeps my metabolism ticking along happily.

Yes, same here. CICO doesn't work for me... I lose incredibly slowly with just eating low calorie. Eating low carb has finally allowed CICO to work as it is supposed to.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    At this point, while I know that the cellular energy input does matter, and tremendously for anyone like me with insulin resistance, the quality of the foods I am eating, particularly nutrient density, seem to make all the difference. Still saying lowER carb, but for the time being, not restricting too much as I'm eating more variety of foods, etc., to make sure I get the variety of nutrients I need.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,753 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I try to reach my BMR at least and I also try to not go over my TDEE for the day, so most days I end up anywhere between 1240 and no more than 1900. I am currently more worried about the macro balance than the calories, they just sort of take care of themselves. Some days I have to force feed myself now to reach BMR cals. I am just not hungry as much as in the past.

I need to lose 16 lbs. to be at my goal. I am set on MFP to lose .5 lbs a week. My trend weight currently is at 1lb. a week. I had been eating lots of carbs before starting LCHF. LC is sooooooo much easier.
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I would love to stop counting one day. But I find that if I don't log my food, I end up mindlessly eating. I'm such an absent-minded person, and generally don't pay much attention to anything. Logging my food seems to help that.
  • suehbca
    suehbca Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I stalled from too many calories. I lowered goal and started losing, esp when I ate only when I was hungry. I agree that high fat leaves us satiated and we won't feel the need to overeat.
  • Perry47
    Perry47 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I think most keep an eye on calories but many also seem to find it easier to not overeat.

I used to keep my calories at 1500. I generally stayed within a 1000kcals of that. If I was high too often, I cut back. If I was not eating much, I let myself eat more when I did get hungry. KWIM?

I would say that the more you stick with meat, eggs and veggies, the harder it is to overeat. Adding in sweets, cheese and nuts triggers some of us to overeat our fill.

Carbs trigger hunger in some of us too. Play around with those things and perhaps you won't need to count calories. :)

I agree with everything you just said. I like to focus on my Macros and as long as I'm WNL for my goals there, I'm happy. I really don't pay too much to the daily calories because it all averages out at the end of the week or month. Sometimes I'm too low and can't complete my Diary for the day. The busier I stay, the less I think of food. I'm a heavy meat, fish, bacon and eggs eater and love my avocados...occasionally a tomato. I don't care for any other fruit/veggie. I made a mistake in mentioning this in another Group in the main Forums, got lectured and made a hasty retreat!! Lol! Very happy in the LCD groups.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    As Confucius put it, "deliberately avoiding relevant information ain't no path to virtue."
  • ProCoffeenator
    ProCoffeenator Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I think I've finally got my macros under control.

Calories are important.
    Your protein goal is also just as important.
    The net carbs are a limit.
    Your fat is filler as needed

I've also learned that big colorful circle that I was giving all my attention to is pretty worthless to me. Yes it tells me if my percentages are off somewhere but I can have perfect percentages while way under my calories. I need to pay attention to my actual numbers starting with calories. If I'm way under (not fasting or meal skipping) then I'm doing something wrong!
    My net carbs are a limit! So as long as I'm not cheating and following the WOE I know this shouldn't be an issue!
    Protein! This is my downfall right here. It's either super low (how the hell did I manage that?!?) or not close enough to my goal. I give myself a 20g leeway on this macro if I'm lower than that I need to eat something!
    If these numbers are good then I know my day is in a happy spot.

Mind you all of this is for a normal Keto day not fasting! If I'm fasting then I place in 'ghost' meals from the day previous to keep an eye on my macros!

No snacks either!! I only have snacks now if I notice my macros need some assistance!