Living the Lifestyle - Tuesday - 10/18/16

Options
misterhub
misterhub Posts: 6,307 Member
Everyone says it, but just how do you do it? How do you take the guidelines of the WW program and turn them into a lifestyle you can live every day...from now on? That is what we are here to explore. Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Newbie? Join in! Veteran? Join in! Your thoughts may be just what someone else needs to hear.

Monday –- Podkey (Bob)
Tuesday -- Misterhub (Greg)
Wednesday -- Beachwoman2006 (Cindy)
Thursday -- Calvin2008 (Brian)
Friday -- Al_Howard (Al)

Topic: Movement

Some folks don't incorporate exercise into their lifestyle regimen. Some folks incorporate a whole lot of it. Some folks take the middle way. But, almost everyone moves.

How important is movement to your lifestyle, and what do you do to ensure you do move?

Replies

• goldenfrisbee
    goldenfrisbee Posts: 1,640 Member
    Options
    I have to regain that. Since coming back, I have added very little exercise, just an occasional bike ride.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,491 Member
    Options
    How important is movement to your lifestyle,

Central. At 285lbs I wasn't able to walk more than a couple of blocks without back pain. I struggled to do basic yard work. Being able to just walk around as I wanted was central to my initial WL motivation.

and what do you do to ensure you do move?

Get off the couch. I try to take every opportunity to get off the couch. Tai Chi, Pickleball, Pilates, gym, library. I live in a very walkable place. I wouldn't consider living in a place that's not conducive to walking.

• Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,142 Member
    Options
    Very little. Morning stretching, range of motion exercises, some walking. Used to walk the dog, but, like a typical guy, over did too often, and made my back, hips and knees worse.
    Getting old sucks, but beats the alternative.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Movement has become my lifestyle. I've found that integrating my social life with activity means that it's nearly impossible to fall off the wagon (and when you do you get 5 different people asking why the heck you weren't at class!)

I'm currently training to be on a roller derby team, I do fun runs with my friends, I take classes at the Y with the other "regulars", I practice Brazilian Jiu Jitsu with a local team, I take walks during lunch with my coworkers, and I signed up for a pole dancing class. All of these activities are social which keeps me accountable. Plus it is way more enjoyable to go and hang out with your friends after work than it is to go on the dreadmill. It also gives me a lot of variety in my week and a lot of events to look forward to. I like being kept busy and it's fun to constantly learn new things to keep me on my toes!
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I've never tried to lose weight when I wasn't also trying to improve fitness, so the two things are hard to think about separately. I know I can gain weight while being very active, but I don't know if I could lose weight while being sedentary. I hope I never have to find out, because I enjoy my running, biking, hiking, etc.

I like to have a training plan aimed at a certain event. Currently I'm slowly building up running miles in preparation for a half marathon in January. I find it easier to keep moving when there's that bit of external motivation (however slight). If I wasn't focused on running, I would likely sign up for a group fitness class to provide structure and motivation.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,142 Member
    Options
    "dreadmill" <3 IT!!!
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Nearly every morning starts with physical activity for me. I find it a huge mood boost in addition to the benefits of being able to do every day activities with more ease.

My daily exercise habit has been going strong since May 2001. There have been modifications in modality, time, and intensity based on other things going on in my life such as graduate school or medical issues.

Today's activity included a slow run/walk outside as it was 70 degrees at 6am, very unusual for the Chicago area this time of year. I had the paths to myself and it was so peaceful.

This weekend I'm heading up to Wisconsin to do more hiking of the Ice Age trail.

I can't imagine a sedentary life.
  • MICHGOLFER2
    MICHGOLFER2 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    How important is movement to your lifestyle, and what do you do to ensure you do move?

Movement or activity is very important to my lifestyle, for many reasons. I've adjusted my expectations and my definitions over the years, moving to activities that are easier on my joints.

I don't think of movement as an addition to my weight loss program. For me it is a stress reliever, a mood enhancer, a social outlet, a mental stimulant, and a health requirement.

What do I do to ensure I move? At work, I get up from my desk and walk to offices rather than emailing or calling. I am intentional about scheduling activities in the evenings. Tonight it is pickleball. I have been actively looking for things to do in the winter here in Michigan. Golf, gardening, and yard work keep me active during the spring, summer and fall. So far, I have discovered pickleball and also got the equipment to try snowshoeing this winter.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    @MICHGOLFER2 - snowshoeing is a great activity that is easy on the joints! I was very disappointed that we only had enough snow once in my area (Chicago) to be able to snowshoe. I had to travel up west of Madison WI to find enough snow in January to snowshoe. I'm hoping for better conditions this winter ;-)
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,105 Member
    Options
    My take personally is to lose the "E" word. The body doesn't really know or care if we do official "exercise" BUT cares a great deal if we move. Sufficient movement not only hleps diabetics to control blood sugar but also the rest of us non-diabetics too. Trying to limit sugars and carbs but remaining totally sedentary wouldn't work for me.

Years ago I had the notion that some folks weren't "in the zone" with their "power walking" but I failed to realize that any walking helps us a lot VS sitting or laying down.

I walk about 3 miles almost every day to help shake the clouds of depression and I also ride my bike in errands or for fun from 30' to 90' daily. I "try" to go to the gym for upper body weights but alas I often don't do it. Yeah I lose a little strength that way but I still stay fit enough with just the daily stuff to keep on going.

I say combine your movement with what you "have to do" and you will do more of it.

I think ya all know my bias that way these days.
  • wwchrisdad
    wwchrisdad Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Regular walker, hiker and 2 to 3 days a week at the gym. When they say it's a "lifestyle" not a diet, I've embraced exercise as part of it. Inasmuch as I love the hiking, not too difficult to incorporate.
  • mcbluesky
    mcbluesky Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Always preferred exercise over "diet". As I learned while getting older and more overweight, I reached a point where I was out eating my exercise. I still love to exercise, (run, bike, swim, weight training, etc.), as part of my lifestyle, but need to apply the same level of focus on the food choice aspects of lifestyle. It's a journey.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,105 Member
    Options
    True dat. It is easy to "out eat your le"gs
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,030 Member
    Options
    My work involves quite a bit of movement but not everyday. Need to do move everyday on an organized basis.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    The ability to move (or lack of it) was one of my 'whys' for starting WW in the first place. Though I did it freely before losing the weight, I certainly didn't do it as easily as I do now. I don't have a formal exercise program but I enjoy hiking and snowshoeing (which I do both for work and fun) and being able to do so without as much difficulty is wonderful.

I ain't kidding myself about getting older either. I know it's probably more important now than ever to move every day. That said, I don't always do it as much as I should. My work used to involve a lot more field work than it does today so I need to make sure to get out from behind the desk and get to it.

With winter coming on, this becomes even more important. Though I grew up in snow country and have lived in it most of my life, the last few years I've noticed the lack of sun can really can get me pretty depressed. At those times, I find it's more important than ever to force myself outside. Going for a walk or snowshoe really helps me keep my balance in the sometimes endless dim light of winter.
  • Kramti386
    Kramti386 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    My gym which was very convenient to work closed it doors this past May. I was devastated, it was the only gym that I had been going to since join WW. Depressed from losing my gym friends; it took me a month to pick a new gym, I joined an LA Fitness near where my office will be moving in a year. Then it took me another two months to finally get there. I eventually figured out that I needed the activity to really get my day started. I would think that when the shirt weight doubled after my work out as being successful. This meant that my heart got the work out it needed to keep me alive another day.

I have aches and pains that have caused me to alter my work out until healed. But I commit to myself to go every day I go to the office and make part of my routine again. The routine is good so I don't think about not going again.
  • MICHGOLFER2
    MICHGOLFER2 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    @gadgetgirlIL - thanks for the encouraging words re: snowshoeing. I'm hoping for a good snow season, too!