Thoughts about a one time cheat meal?

Options
3BearMomma
3BearMomma Posts: 10 Member
edited October 2016 in Social Groups
Hey all! It's my bday and my hubby is wanting to treat me to lunch at my faaaaaaavorite Mexican restaurant.

I've been lowish carbing (under 100 carbs) since mid August. I've been very low carbing (20 carbs) for just over a week. To date I'm down almost 14 lbs.

If I have a single cheat meal - how bad is it going to be in terms of getting back into ketosis.

I've been perfect for the past week and I've made some ground rules for the lunch. No alcohol. No dessert. Etc.

But I've also been flawless for a week and a half now and I'm afraid I'm going to be up like 9lbs tomorrow just from a single cheat.

Thoughts?

ETA: I'm insulin resistant so sugar is my nemesis. Not sure if that factors in. I also don't eat rice and or beans when I am not restricting my diet so my big culprits today would be tortillas and tortilla chips.

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you might gain a few pounds in water weight and take a couple days to get back into ketosis. Maybe it will rekindle cravings if that has been an issue. Any chance of flowers or an evening movie? Also check the menu. I'm sure you can configure a meal that isn't high carb even at a Mexican restaurant.
  • BT_rescuemom
    BT_rescuemom Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on if you think it would trigger cravings and overindulgence after that meal. But, going into it knowing it's just that one special meal, and then low carb as usual after that is perfectly fine. You will probably gain some water weight and maybe feel bloaty/crummy for a day or two.

I agree with looking at the menu ahead of time if possible, that way you could find something sorta low carb high fat if you want. I'm thinking carnitas.
  • BT_rescuemom
    BT_rescuemom Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss btw!
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I would try to find the lowest carb entree option, set a limit on how many chips in advance and then plan on fasting until midday tomorrow. As long as it doesn't send you into a tailspin of high carb eating, one meal shouldn't do too much damage.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I'd say one cheat meal in itself isn't the problem. It doesn't take much to get back into ketosis. The problem (as I can attest) is the slippery slope of the mind *kitten*. Thinking "Wow that was easy, and great" which opened the door to do it again. And again.
    I'm just saying, not everyone gets sick when they eat carbs. If you're one of those too, then you'll need to watch that carb indulgences don't creep closer and closer together until there's more carbs than not. Catch my drift?
    Just my personal FWIW.
    I would just go with low carb options and lots of them to feel indulgent, and not mess with that monkey.
  • AshStout83
    AshStout83 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday! I love Mexican food. Since going LCHF, I've been ordering fajitas and not using the tortillas. I order queso and pour it over the chicken, peppers and onions. It's delicious.
  • SuperCarLori
    Options
    Happy birthday! I love Mexican food. Since going LCHF, I've been ordering fajitas and not using the tortillas. I order queso and pour it over the chicken, peppers and onions. It's delicious.

I second the Happy Birthday!
    And *drools* that's a great idea!!!!!
    *runs to the nearest Mexican restaurant*
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday!

Mexican is doable on low carb. Fajitas, sans tortillas, are awesome eaten like a salad is yummy! Add extra sour cream, and guacamole! Allow yourself some chips with salsa, and enjoy your time together!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I was off the wagon all day Saturday with tons of fried seafood and alcohol. Didn't have a scale, but I know I retained a ton of water because I couldn't wear my rings, and even today they are still a bit snug. I won't have a scale until I get home on Saturday, but visually it does not appear I gained any permanent weight - there was a lot of bloating for a few days, but that seems to be gone as of today.

Sunday was back on track and I was too hungover to have much appetite. Monday was horrible for cravings...Tuesday some cravings but not so bad...no cravings today. As long as you are prepared for all the side effects, you will be fine. It's not something I do often though because it's just so much easier to stay on track and not have to deal with getting back out of the carb cycle.
  • 3BearMomma
    3BearMomma Posts: 10 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    All these posts made me smile! What a super supportive group this is! Thank you all for the suggestions and opinions!!

Cravings aren't a big deal for me. My endo has me on Metformin. It *really* curbs the cravings. Apparently it's a side effect (according to my doc). My willpower is also pretty awesome now that I'm finally seeing progress on the scale (was doing LCHF and not seeing any movement due to underlying health probs etc.)

Even so, I'm loving so many of the yummy ideas above. Honestly - I don't *crave* tortillas... they are just a conveyance for delicious fajitas. And I never have eaten beans and rice... So I'm thinking of doing the fajitas (no tortilla) for lunch and allowing myself a set amount of chips and queso. Then I"ll dip some veg in the queso.

Because queso is life.

Thank you all SO much!! You're a great group <3
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options

Oooooooooo. Queso! Why did I never think of that?!?!
  • SuperCarLori
    Options
    I just threw a big fat pot of Mexican cheesy chicken soup on the stove.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Queso.......mmmmm.......

Happy Birthday 3BearMomma!
  • Cyndi146
    Cyndi146 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday! Mexican is my favorite too and I love the low carb options we have. I admit, the chips and salsa are a total weakness of mine and I usually let myself indulge. Listen to @tcunbeliever and be prepared for the challenges of the next few days and all should be great! enjoy!
  • ProCoffeenator
    ProCoffeenator Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday!!
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    If you are insulin resistant like I am I'd stay away from the high carb options or you'll end up with a big ol carb headache by the end of it and be knocked out of ketosis. Mexican restaurants have the BEST low carb options! I'd get fajitas and ask to swap rice/beans for veggies. I get a huge platter that's probably meant to be shared and it has both chicken and steak on it, and I get extra guac and sour cream. I can eat the entire thing to myself, lol. It's SO good and def feels like a cheat meal.

Drinks wise ask if they have a diet soda and put some rum or vodka in it.. I bring the little airline bottles in my purse and use those so I know exactly how much I drank. They might have wine too which is also fine!
  • AshStout83
    AshStout83 Posts: 190 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    To everyone who liked my queso suggestion, DO IT!! Soo good!!
  • sherryrichie
    sherryrichie Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday!! I'm soon hungry for Mexican food right now! Enjoy your meal.
  • KetoLady86
    KetoLady86 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Happy bday!!! I agree with Everyones above comments..SO THIS IS JUST ME..My hubby brings me to Mexican maybe twice a month...If I fast the next day (sometimes I dont) I feel great..but Im pretty sure Im fat adapted. And I do think you should stick to your guns, but you have to be realistic.. Its your bday...have fun, and get right back on track Skip the tortillas and you will be fine!