New to Keto. Am I losing too fast?

Options
asgentr
asgentr Posts: 228 Member

Tuesday morning I decided to start keto. My net carbs are 25-30, high fat, relatively high protein. My calories are low at around 1200-1300. I weighed 176 on Monday and now I'm 173 on Saturday. Should I be concerned about muscle loss? I'm drinking a ton of water and consuming extra salt, so I doubt that it is dehydration. Is this a typical amount of loss at the beginning (even if I was counting calories and losing slowly prior)? Should I just eat a few more low-carb calories? for a few days? Thanks

Replies

• bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Yes, this is typical. It's water weight. Your rate of loss should naturally slow down very soon.
  • kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I agree that's typical. The first 10 days on keto I lost quickly and then slowed to 1 pound per week.
  • asgentr
    asgentr Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. This is pretty exciting. I was expecting the last 25lbs to take at least 5 months.
  • SuesNewImage
    SuesNewImage Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Your initial loss is normal but dont think it will stay on the same level for all of your 25lbs. Your body will settle in especially when you are fat adapted after 30 days. Things in weight loss department will slow down but other benefits will show up like more energy, softer skin, better sleep.
  • kn_morrow
    kn_morrow Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I find that after my initial water weight loss that pounds come off in wooshes. I'll go a few weeks and see big losses of 4-5 pounds at a time and then "stall" until a few weeks later. I don't really consider it a stall though, because I track inches too and can see those go down even when the scale isn't.