Daily calories?

Hi Team Orange! I have a question about setting the right daily calorie goal. MyFitnessPal is telling me I should take in 1200 calories / day to achieve weight goal. If I use the BMR calculator, it's telling me my daily caloric needs are 1768. Subtract 300 (mid point of recommendation) and that gets me to 1468 -- which is quite a bit higher than MFP.

I know the email says the BMR calculator is most accurate -- just surprised its so much higher than MFP. Any thoughts?

Replies

• ewalkerr2932
    ewalkerr2932 Posts: 9 Member
    Hi!

When setting up MyFitness pal it is going to automate a number of calories for you based on your weight loss goals, and time frames for weight loss. When you track your workouts it will actually give you more calories. So it may end up being closer to the ~1500 calories after a workout is tracked. I would aim for around 1470 daily total calories. 1200 total is a very low calorie range for anyone doing HIIT workouts!

Does that make sense?

Emily
  • winterberrie
    winterberrie Posts: 6 Member
    Yes thanks, Emily. Makes sense!

Holly
  • Jefster
    Jefster Posts: 48 Member
    Also be aware that if you are using a fitness tracker like Fitbit, and linked it to MFP, it also does something called "negative calories" based on your activity. Basically if you are being less active than usual, it takes away calories. This can be turned off in Diary settings. aq7k7va2fqot.png
  • Souji23
    Souji23 Posts: 3 Member
    Ok I just want to make sure I'm doing this right. If my goal is 1200 cal/day, but I work out at OTF and burn 600 cal, the app automatically says I have 1800 cal left for the day. Is this correct? This is what I've been doing. And if we only eat like 1400-1500 is that not enough?
    Thanks!
  • katm3
    katm3 Posts: 17 Member
    I think 1400-1500 is probably about right! Sometimes MFP exaggerates OTF calories - due to EPOC "afterburn effect@. Think you are on the right track!!!
  • Souji23
    Souji23 Posts: 3 Member
    So I've been manually entering in the calories burned from OTF based on my workout summary- that's usually pretty accurate right?
  • winterberrie
    winterberrie Posts: 6 Member
    That's what I've been doing too - entering the workout calories directly from OTF. But I'm ignoring them and targeting the 1400 / day no matter what.
  • sarahruns20
    sarahruns20 Posts: 12 Member
    That's what I do, enter my workouts just to keep track but stick to the calorie goal I set!