Low carb "bread" or biscuit that DOESN'T taste like egg?

Options
LittleMamaVas
LittleMamaVas Posts: 35 Member
Does it exist? So far everything I've come across ends up having that omelette taste that I'm just frankly getting sick of. The last recipe was almond-flour based, with some coconut flour, and of course eggs. It ended up being half an egg per serving one baked and I find that makes it very eggy-tasting. Please no cauliflower recipes - they're too time-intensive for my taste.

Anyone know of something better out there? Really missing being able to have sandwiches and wraps.

Thanks.

Replies

• bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    http://www.ruled.me has some great baked goods replacement recipes - also, try looking at
    Mr. Peanut Sandwich Bread - there is eggs in that recipe, but people don't seem to be complaining.

I have not made any of them or tasted them, I've only been a reader of their site and tried their other recipes. The reviews seem to be good, though.

You could try these, I just found them:
    Also, keep in mind that you don't necessarily need to use egg in baked products - I hear soaked chia seed is a great egg replacement.

Hope that helps.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    http://www.ruled.me/low-carb-focaccia-bread/ I detected no eggy taste at all. If anything it was a bit heavy on the flax and rosemary tastes, but it pairs very well with meats and cheeses for it. The only quarrel I've had with it, is that after a few days, oil seepage will start to make it feel a bit soggy. This isn't an issue though, if you're going through it relatively quickly.

Even my roommate who hates eggs, loved the bread, and made no mention of an egg taste, though of course, it does have 7 in the recipe to function as a binder.
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Oooh, rosemary. I think I might try that one.

I also found these, too, @LittleMamaVas
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I don't have a link or recipe, but I've been told that "soul bread" is a good traditional bread replacement.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I don't have a link or recipe, but I've been told that "soul bread" is a good traditional bread replacement.

http://lowcarbediem.com/low-carb-soul-bread-recipes/
  • SuesNewImage
    SuesNewImage Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower Crust Grilled Cheese

FULL RECIPE: http://bit.ly/28Q1k3v

Made this tonight for dinner- OMG i havnt had a toasted sandwich for 12 months. It was so good to hold in my hands.
  • LittleMamaVas
    LittleMamaVas Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, some of these sound yummy! I'll try some out soon.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options

I found my two soul bread recipes I tried to be VERY eggy. To the point you bite in and can hear/see that it has a very wet, spongy texture. The photos never look like it but the bread is too moist for me, and not in a good way.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @bowlerae - Perhaps there is a step you are missing? @ladipoet posts pictures of the soul bread she makes all the time, and it looks like bread! You used the ISOLATE powder specifically? Etc.? Maybe it wasn't cooked as long as it needed to be? I've not heard of anyone disappointed by their soul bread until now....
  • ladipoet
    Options
    @bowlerae - Perhaps there is a step you are missing? @ladipoet posts pictures of the soul bread she makes all the time, and it looks like bread! You used the ISOLATE powder specifically? Etc.? Maybe it wasn't cooked as long as it needed to be? I've not heard of anyone disappointed by their soul bread until now....

Thanks for tagging me @KnitOrMiss! Re cooking...soul bread is VERY temperamental with respect to not over-mixing it. There are also a lot of issues with trying to cook it in a normal loaf pan that involve holes in the middle of the loaf of bread to just down right uncooked middles of the load of bread (i.e. having to cook the bread so long the outside is burned just so the middle of the loaf finally gets cooker through), I usually cook my soul bread in either 3 muffin top pans or 3 hamburger bun pans (18 slices). The bread cooked in the hamburger bread pans comes out flatter as compared to the muffin top pans. If you decide to use either a muffin top pan or a hamburger bun pan, it will cut your cooking time easily by half. I usually cook mine for 20-25 minutes as opposed to the 45-60 minutes the original recipe specifies. @bowlerae ...guaranteed NO "eggy" taste...guaranteed no "wet spongy texture!" Hope this info helps!
  • bowlerae
    Options

I actually think what I was making was called "cloud bread" so that's my mistake. Perhaps I will have to try soul bread. I'm pretty sure that's what it was. So lesson-learned OP...do not make CLOUD bread if you don't want an eggy recipe.

• KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @bowlerae - Agreed, I'm not a huge fan of cloud bread aka revolution rolls, etc. I have a version with mayo instead of cream cheese....still haven't braved making it either, it's been like 18 months since I made that mess, too! LOL
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Do any of these breads keep well? Like in a ziploc? Some of the fast recipes (like the English Muffin) - I may only want to eat half of the "muffin" one day and half the next (or a couple of days later). Just wondering...
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @ladipoet does hers in batches - I can't remember if she freezes or refrigerates them, but they definitely last her!
  • ladipoet
    Options
    Deena_Bean wrote: »
    Do any of these breads keep well? Like in a ziploc? Some of the fast recipes (like the English Muffin) - I may only want to eat half of the "muffin" one day and half the next (or a couple of days later). Just wondering...
    @ladipoet does hers in batches - I can't remember if she freezes or refrigerates them, but they definitely last her!

@Deena_Bean @KnitorMiss...I keep them both in refrigerator and the freezer. Soul bread freezes and toasts very well. It does tend to be a bit on the dry side though given the nature of one of the main ingredients (whey protein powder) but it's easy enough to overcome that by topping a piece with lots and lots of butter or cream cheese or low/no calorie jam of some kind. I usually keep mine in the freezer and pull them out the day or night before I want to eat them so they are defrosted and ready to be eaten.
  • bowlerae
    Options
    Tried an almond butter bread recipe this weekend. It was almond butter, eggs and baking soda. Texture was fine, a tadddddddd eggy but doable. The taste though, oh the taste was disgusting. Took two bites and through out the entire loaf.

The quest continues.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I made a Soul Bread recipe, and I have loved the crap out of it, to be honest. It's a bit of a time investment, but it is SOOOOOO worth it for someone who needs that little bit of bread "fix" in their lives...
  • MSimmKeto
    MSimmKeto Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I notice coconut wraps haven't been mentioned here. No eggs in those. I'm going to be venturing into keto with -no eggs- and the coconut wraps are super expensive. I'm going to appreciate finding a good recipe for making them myself. I haven't tried one yet.
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I know Maria Emmerich has a recipe for her tortillas and such, and they are psyllium husk based, but I don't remember the recipe in detail, whether it has eggs, but you can always use the "chia egg substitute recipe, or substitute equal parts avocado blended with water in place of oil and eggs...

mariamindbodyhealth.com