Do you count calories on keto?

Options
Hello everyone!

So I'm on day 13 on Keto. I'm doing good with staying under 20 grams or around it. However I notice I'm exceeding my calorie intake goal. And by a lot. I'm so used to thinking calorie deficit so I'm not sure how bad I'm doing. My macros percentage are great every day. It's always 5,70,25 give or take a point. But my calories are not good at all. Should I be worried? I should have around 1400 a day but I'm doing around 1800-2000 a couple days now.

Replies

• camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the body... if you continue losing with that intake, it is ok for you. If you stall, maybe cut back?
  • FungusGirl
    FungusGirl Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Honestly just follow your body. If you are actually hungry, then eat! If not, don't. Sometimes I feel like I have to because it's "time" to, but it may not be the case.
    I'd take vitamins, though.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Yup - I absolutely do track my food. If I didn't, I'd be in big trouble. YMMV. Everyone's different so if everything is still going in the right direction for you don't change it :)
  • BT_rescuemom
    BT_rescuemom Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I do track mine. I started just to make sure I was doing the right macro percentages, but continued in part because I saw how easy it could be to go over on calories. It really helps me eliminate any mindless eating and eating when I'm not hungry. That being said, staying under my calorie goal has not left me hungry or feeling deprived.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I didn't for the first couple of weeks, it all balances out!
  • sherryrichie
    sherryrichie Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I track my calories now, but I didn't when I first started. When I started stalling, I cut back on my calories, and it helped. I usually eat back some of my exercise calories, but not all. You'll find a balance that works for you.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I count calories on keto.

To my knowledge, I don't have any conditions/disorders/diseases that interfere with weight loss/maintenance.

A calorie deficit worked for me for weight loss.

Eating at maintenance calories has worked for me for 2.5 years in maintenance whether it was 40c/30/30 or 5c/20p/75f. The latter is definitely more satiating thus making it easier for me to maintain.

Should you be worried about eating 1800-2000 calories which you indicate is over your deficit? What is happening on the scale? Are you losing, maintaining, gaining? Are you hungry? Are you eating those calories because you're hungry or are you eating those calories out of habit?
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I do and my goal is 1400 per day, but sometimes I go over and sometimes I'm under. Like way under! As long as I hit my carb goal I am ok with that.

Why are you eating over your calorie goal, are you just always hungry?
  • Xwxjackiexwx
    Xwxjackiexwx Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    The later is definitely
    Should you be worried about eating 1800-2000 calories which you indicate is over your deficit? What is happening on the scale? Are you losing, maintaining, gaining? Are you hungry? Are you eating those calories because you're hungry or are you eating or are you eating those calories out of habit?

I was losing weight quickly when I started but I'm assuming that's water weight. Now I have stalled and have been the same for the past 3 days. I only eat when I feel hungry. And everything I eat is either fat or protein which ends up being high calorie. But I always stay under my 20g of carbs for the day. Usually I'll go over my protein and fats for the day. It's the high fats that make me go over on my calories so now I feel like I have to cut out a lot of fats to maintain lower calories but I know I'll be hungry.
  • Xwxjackiexwx
    Options
    Sarahb29 wrote: »

Why are you eating over your calorie goal, are you just always hungry?

Yes I'm hungry a lot more frequently so I eat more fat and protein which ends up being a lot of calories and that's how I go over my calorie goal. But I stay at 20g of carbs. My weight has stalled for the last 3 days and no inches lost either :(
  • Xwxjackiexwx
    Options
    I track my calories now, but I didn't when I first started. When I started stalling, I cut back on my calories, and it helped. I usually eat back some of my exercise calories, but not all. You'll find a balance that works for you.

Thanks! I think I'm gonna cut back on things here and there to help cut down calories. I was viewing your diary and couldn't help notice your calorie intake was much lower than mine so it made me realize how much I was taking in. I guess I'm having too much cheese hwc and sour cream! Haha
  • HawkPNP
    HawkPNP Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I definitely do -- mostly so I can see my macro breakdown because I tend to overeat protein and not take in enough fat.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    3 days is not enough time to be considered a stall though. Women do have times in their cycle where they feel more.. ravenous I'd say, where we overeat. Usually just before our TOM, during, and during ovulation. If you are in any of those 3 categories that might be why you are feeling more hungry and it's normal. During these times I overeat too (too many snacks) but try to stick to my 20 carbs a day.

Another idea - I do Intermittent fasting during my work day and eat at home, that way I feel like I get to eat a lot but it's the same amount of calories, just in a 4 hour window. If you're new I don't recommend it since it's going to take time to getting used to your new WOE, learning recipes and stuff and you might not want to add on anything new on top of that. But, it's something you could use in the future if you wanted to.

Your body also might be adjusting as well. The fat cells in your body are shrinking and your body does need time to adjust to it.

If this turns into a consistent thing where you're still feeling hungry and want to fit in more food try eating lean protein (chicken, ham, turkey, fish, shrimp etc) with a small amount of fat to stay under your calorie goal.
  • Xwxjackiexwx
    Options
    3 days is not enough time to be considered a stall though. Women do have times in their cycle where they feel more.. ravenous I'd say, where we overeat. Usually just before our TOM, during, and during ovulation. If you are in any of those 3 categories that might be why you are feeling more hungry and it's normal. During these times I overeat too (too many snacks) but try to stick to my 20 carbs

If this turns into a consistent thing where you're still feeling hungry and want to fit in more food try eating lean protein (chicken, ham, turkey, fish, shrimp etc) with a small amount of fat to stay under your calorie goal.

Yes! It's actually my time of the month... I'm not sure how it affects my diet since this is the first time doing this. But I was able to stay away from my big box of chocolates! I always crave chocolates when it's time but I resisted this time.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    You're right, the initial loss was mostly water weight.

3 days is not long enough to be considered a "stall". It's a period of adjustment to the initial rapid weight loss in the beginning (IMO).

How did you arrive at 1400 as the the number of calories to eat to lose? 1800-2000 may be a better number for you and may result weight loss. Time will tell and more than 3 days is needed.
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    3 days is not long enough to be considered a "stall". It's a period of adjustment to the initial rapid weight loss in the beginning (IMO).

This rang true for me. The first week I did keto I dropped 5 pounds. Which I absolutely knew was water. The second week I didn't lose a thing. Am on my third week now and lost 2. So in the middle there my body was going .... what? LOL
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    3 days is not enough time to be considered a stall though. Women do have times in their cycle where they feel more.. ravenous I'd say, where we overeat. Usually just before our TOM, during, and during ovulation. If you are in any of those 3 categories that might be why you are feeling more hungry and it's normal. During these times I overeat too (too many snacks) but try to stick to my 20 carbs

Yes! It's actually my time of the month... I'm not sure how it affects my diet since this is the first time doing this. But I was able to stay away from my big box of chocolates! I always crave chocolates when it's time but I resisted this time.

I would say this is part of your answer then. I lose less - nothing to maybe a pound - when ovulating and then zero loss or even a gain on my period.

Are you sure 1400 calories is a realistic limit for you? Do you know your BMR and TDEE? It's a little surprising that you're constantly hungry...is that all the time or just this week? Keto typically leads to lessened overall appetite. Except for that time of the month...then all bets are off!!

I also agree with everything Sarah said. :) I IF too and it has led to staying within my calorie range much more easily.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    For me calories matter and I need to keep them in check. Consider trying not to weigh every day if that's what you are doing (supposition based on the comment about not losing in three days). You'll drive yourself crazy. Take a before picture. Measure various body parts and weigh - once a week or less. Use those three metrics to determine physical body changes. Not just the scale. You will, in time, drive yourself crazy. By the way, I don't get on the scale during my cycle because it only aggravates me. I wait til I'm about a week done then get on the scale. That seems more accurate for me. Sounds like you are doing great. Keep keeping on.
  • Xwxjackiexwx
    Options

How did you arrive at 1400 as the the number of calories to eat to lose? 1800-2000 may be a better number for you and may result weight loss. Time will tell and more than 3 days is needed.

When I tried calorie deficit I was doing 1200 cal a day and was able to stay around there but wasn't losing weigh. After I use that keto calculator it said 1400 cal was my new goal so that's what I set it up as. All the high fat stuff I'm eating is what's pushing my calories over but my macros are right on point (% wise I'm good but I go over on grams of fat and protein)