Can a small amount of "bad carbs" leave you feeling like crap the next day?

Options
I am into my third week of LCHF and have been feeling fantastic. I had mild headaches for a couple days in the beginning but I'm sure that is from giving up my beloved sweet tea. I have had no real cravings and have been eating well. I was at a barn party where my daughter rides horses and they had no low carb options other than a hot dog which I did eat. I also ate a pepperoni roll. My first bread in nearly three weeks. I also had a very small piece of cake. I was surprised to learn it didn't really taste good to me. Now to the point, today I feel terrible. Bloated and very low energy. Could my dinner last night have caused this or just a coincidence? My carbs for the day were still not way high. Those were most of my carbs for the day.

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    It's possible. After a long run of SKD, when I switched to a CKD, my guts would get pretty angry with me on refeed days. No real bloating to speak of, but a bit of discomfort, and a whole lot of carpet bombing.
    Keep in mind though, I was essentially going from >20g/day, to over 400 for a single day.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I ate a cupcake a few weeks ago and was sick for a day and a half. So sick I couldn't even work - and I work from home. Yeah...
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as bad carbs. Carbs in bread and carbs in a banana are both the same - sugar. But yes, too many carbs can definitely make you feel rubbish - it does to me.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    No coincidence at all. It's something we all learn at some point. Your body was healing and you gave it the stuff that makes it sick again... so it got sick.
    Personally, I would call those "bad carbs" too. I would call a banana bad carbs as well. Lol
    Good carbs by my definition would be those from green leafy vegetables and maybe dairy.
  • Christie241
    Christie241 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks to you all. After thinking about it, feeling so tired like today is exactly why I was seeking a new WOE. I knew what I was eating was why I lacked energy. This confirmed it.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Also OP, btw, the headache you describe having in the early days was likely the Keto Flu due to electrolyte imbalance and probably not from giving up your sweet tea. Lots of info on this in the launchpad / sticky note area if you are interested.
  • nscal
    nscal Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Yes totally! I had a weak moment and had a beer. I can say the beer was not worth the mess I dealt with for days after consuming! I've had one or two in the past but this time....well let's just say I looked and felt 7 months pregnant! Lesson learned!
  • HawkPNP
    HawkPNP Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I made the mistake of eating a regular carbs meal a while back. I felt like poop for days. I can definitely tell even in small amounts that I accidentally ate something wrong.
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. Especially when you've been at LCHF for a while.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Wheat gives me migraines, every time, even in trace quantities (like soy sauce). So, yes, absolutely something you ate could be making you feel terrible. Maybe the wheat, maybe the sugar, but something for sure.

Probiotics will help, so have some kombucha or kimchi, or yogurt or whatever you like that has happy bacteria in it.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Re the headaches and sweet tea: The headaches may have been related to lack of sugar but my personal experience related to no caffeine. I quit using caffeine in the year 2000 (at the suggestion of my neurologist) and definitely remember getting headaches for a couple of days due to lack of caffeine. Sugar was never involved in my coffee so I'm pretty certain it was the lack of caffeine causing the headaches.

It appears as though a pepperoni roll and a small piece of cake is too many carbs for you at this time and yes, I have felt sluggish the day following a carbfest (3 in 6 months) though for me, it was a HUGE fest aka binge. Never sick. Just sluggish.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Re the headaches and sweet tea: The headaches may have been related to lack of sugar but my personal experience related to no caffeine. I quit using caffeine in the year 2000 (at the suggestion of my neurologist) and definitely remember getting headaches for a couple of days due to lack of caffeine. Sugar was never involved in my coffee so I'm pretty certain it was the lack of caffeine causing the headaches.

It appears as though a pepperoni roll and a small piece of cake is too many carbs for you at this time and yes, I have felt sluggish the day following a carbfest (3 in 6 months) though for me, it was a HUGE fest aka binge. Never sick. Just sluggish.

Definitely this. Now admittedly, I am on the high end of caffeine consumption (roughly 1200 mg/day), but if I miss a dose, I'll start getting a headache that starts as a dull throb, and progresses to near migraine status within a couple of hours. It's a big part of the reason that, upon waking, the first thing that goes in my mouth is my EC.
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I think it does make me feel bad

Unless I burn it off it makes me lethargic after a while

Odd really... sugar is a high octane fuel for intense exercise, but if I don't exercise it makes me feel sluggish
  • silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have broken the keto plan several times this year. Every time it left me feeling like crap. whether its a single splurge or a weekend off, I always felt sluggish, headachy, and just crappy in general.

I have tried adding carbs back in the day before a long run and I always feel worse on the run than ones I do while staying keto.