Hello! I'm new to the group

Options
Bayluvr
Bayluvr Posts: 115 Member
I'm 16.5 yrs post RNY gastric bypass, and have maintained most of my 177 lb initial loss. In 2013 I had regained 71 lbs of that loss, and I was miserable. I joined MFP, and was able to lose 78 lbs in 9 months with support from a WLS group here. The beginning of 2015 was extremely stressful, and I fell back to my old habits, regaining 48 lbs over the last 1.5 yrs.

I started low carbing again in mid-Sept, allowing myself up to 100g but usually much lower, along with low fat and high protein which is what our (WLS) docs recommend. I supplemented with 1 hr recumbent bike (back problems) workouts 5 days/wk and walking my pup.

I found myself still craving carbs, so last weekend I explored this forum (joined a couple months ago) and liked what I read abt keto. I am reading all I can, and the support here seems tremendous! This is my 4th day of under 20 carbs, and I feel great at this time. Long periods (7-8hrs) with no hunger whatsoever, but food is still constantly on my mind, only it's now abt what meals to plan next and developing new recipes, as well as reading what others eat.

I started low carbing again last month at 208 lbs, but stalled for a couple weeks around 197-200. Since starting keto this past Monday, the scales have gone down 4 lbs, so I'm headed in the right direction. I plan to get ketostix just to check (I'm a nurse on disability...must be missing my job, NOT!!).

If anyone wants to offer any tips or advice, I'm all ears and ready to learn. Otherwise, wish you all success and wellness. It's great to be here!

Replies

• suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Welcome @Bayluvr. Congrats on your weight loss successes. This is a great place to come for support and information.

I also eat under 5% carbs (16g currently) and it helps with the cravings a lot. There is a thread on recipes you can check out for help in meal planning. I go through it as I have time and copy the ones I want to try into my online keto recipe file.

Good luck to you. Oh, I'm also on disability as a medical technologist due to MS and now am blind in one eye and have poor vision in the other, but that was due to dropless cataract surgery.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard! I had a RNY in Jan 2003. I'm 42 years old and about 5'10". I went from 363 before surgery down to 194. I jumped over time to 230ish and sat in that area, losing/gaining it. But in the last 1.5 years I jumped up to nearly 260. So I learned about Keto and jumped on board. I'm down to 213 now. When I'm on plan for me I stay under 20 carbs a day too. I read so much about people upping them or feeling better somewhat higher but I'm, in all honesty, scared to death to allow myself more because of how I fell off the wagon recently.

What I have learned is I go through hungry/not hungry cycles and I have to be careful during those hungry cycles because I fell off and fell off hard recently by caving. I'm back on track as of yesterday and know now that I have to let myself eat when hungry but eat the right things and LOG those things. I started eating whatever and not logging out of shame which is just terrible. I have to hold myself accountable. I have some Ketostix but rarely use them. I try to only weigh once a week and I've learned from some very smart people here that weight is a number we need to pay attention to but not live and die by. Take pictures and measure lots of body parts. I didn't do that and totally regret it now. The only thing I measured was my natural waist and it's moving so slowly because the muffin top and spare tire are moving instead but I didn't measure them or my arms or thighs or hips....

Welcome aboard! You've got this and I know you'll do great!!
  • Bayluvr
    Options
    Thanks so much for the welcome, ladies!

@suzqtme: I guess u feel me on the disability front even though our disorders are not the same. I hope you're doing better, and in or near remission.

I also feel that even though I'm new at this, it seems like my hunger is kept at bay by the 5% carbs. Don't want to experiment with going higher...not until the excess weight is no more. I'm hoping to meet my original goal of 140 lbs.

@RowdysLady : Congrats on your loss post-WLS! I know how to fall off that wagon oh so well! And I also have binged for days and not logged my carelessness for fear of embarrassment, and my diary isn't even open!! But I log religiously when I'm "on track", weighing and measuring everything. I do need to take your advice and take measurements though. To me, it's tedious, but I know we sometimes lose inches while the scales stay the same. That tape measure can be very reassuring. I'll start today! New pics too!
  • nscal
    nscal Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I also eat 5% carbs. The weight has not left me but I keep trucking along. One day it will catch up and fall off....or so I'm hoping. This group is amazing and very supportive.
  • Bayluvr
    Options
    Thank u for the welcome! I'm so happy about being in this group. It motivates me tremendously, just like my WLS group did before ppl stopped posting so much. I don't see that ever happening here. Much success to u in your efforts to lose!

• RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Welcome Bayluvr! I'm a newbie too so I'll be learning right along with you. :)
  • Bayluvr
    Options
    Awesome, fellow newb! Thanks for the welcome!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Popping in to say welcome!
  • Bayluvr
    Options
    Hi there, and thank you!!
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    @Bayluvr : Welcome aboard :)
  • Bayluvr
    Options
    Thank you! Glad to have found this group!
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Welcome welcome! You've found a nice place to hang out :)
  • Bayluvr
    Options
    I'm sure of that. I've lurked for a few weeks..loving the sharing and support. Thanks to you and everyone for the welcomes!
  • FungusGirl
    FungusGirl Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!
  • Bayluvr
    Options
    Thank you!!
  • richarddavis196
    richarddavis196 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    After I retired from the Navy on disability, I really started to rack up the pounds. I had RNY back in 2011 going from 315 down to 210. Loved it! However after having my gallbladder removed recently, I started having a never ending heart burn/reflux. That was enough to trigger me into snacking to curb the burn. Needless to say, I got back up to 242 before I really noticed, lol. I started Keto 15 days ago and am already down to 230. The small stomach/pouch really helps, but cutting carbs to 20 +/- 5 has cut my appetite allowing me to keep on my plan, even going low some days.

Love the support on here, all the posts, so informative and positive reinforcement.

Keep up the good work!
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    u35us2jzqo8a.jpg

>:) or o:)
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Bayluvr wrote: »
    Thank u for the welcome! I'm so happy about being in this group. It motivates me tremendously, just like my WLS group did before ppl stopped posting so much. I don't see that ever happening here ...

No. For my part, I talk a lot. And often. Oh yes. Very often.

A lot. :D