Golden Milk

Options
JessicaLCHF
JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
edited October 2016 in Social Groups
Thot this deserved it's own thread. Thanks for the recipe! This stuff is amazing. Here's a picture of mine.

oz215aee6tcd.jpg

I used this recipe http://wellnessmama.com/223/turmeric-tea-recipe/ only I subbed the sweetener for Truvia, and I added a spoon of coconut oil. It's hot and frothy - spicy and comforting. Perfect for my head cold, today. Thanks for the recommendation @baconslave and @tcunbeliever

My exact recipe:
2 cups of milk of choice (almond), 1 teaspoon Turmeric, ½ teaspoon Cinnamon, teaspoon raw honey (EDIT: use Truvia), Pinch of black pepper, ¼ tsp ginger powder, Pinch of cayenne pepper and 1 spoon coconut oil.

In a blender, blend well; heat in saucepan till hot and steamy.

Replies

• BT_rescuemom
    BT_rescuemom Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Omg. This sounds amazing.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I have sugar free honey I got off Amazon, I'm so trying this tonight!
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Ack I don't know if we have ginger powder though. Do you blend it then put it in a sauce pan? I wonder if you could just microwave it to heat it up and then blend?
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    I blended it in the blender. Then poured in a saucepan to heat. It was still very frothy.

Bonus: it's 4:30 and I'm not even hungry! Having a salad cause I gotta run to church (where I don't want to GET hungry), and planning on having roast afterwards.
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Oh my. I am going to have to try this!
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    We meant to try this last winter and forgot! I'll need to remember this winter. :)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I read tumeric is only 3% curcumin so went on a mission and found fresh curcumin. I'll give it try tomorrow. The recipe I found is: coconut milk, coconut oil, cinnamon sticks, fresh curcumin, fresh ginger, peppercorns. Stevia for sweetener vs honey. Bring to low boil and strain. I chewed on a tiny piece of the root on the way home. It is considerably sweeter than tumeric and much less bitter. No room in my calories today but looking forward to it!
  • kpk54
    Options
    I made Golden Milk and it is quite delicious. I doubt I will make it again because the 1 cup recipe is 570 calories. The coconut milk I used is the canned version so 450 calories per cup. Add 1 T of coconut oil and well, you know. 570 calories total not considering the few calories that might be in the spices. I've turned mine into a Chai adding water and a couple Constant Comment teabags. Fits my calories better and will keep in the refrigerator a few days.

I'd consider making it again if I favored the lower calorie refrigerated, popular boxed coconut or almond milks to keep the calories down but since I don't, I won't. Everyone's taste is different. It's just a matter of taste.

Trying the recipe had it's bonuses though. I like fresh curcumin far better than powdered tumeric so will try more recipes with "tumeric". AND the canned coconut milk I found at the Indian Market where I got the curcumin is far tastier, thicker, richer than any canned coconut milk I have used. The brand is Chaokoh Coconut Milk. I'll use the remainder in a curry.
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    Just change your milk. I used unsweetened almond milk. I had a giant serving (two cups) which is 80 calories!

(ALMOND milk has around 40 cals a cup). The only real other source of cals would be the optional coconut oil.

After my breakfast, lunch and golden milk I was at around 700 calories. I finally finished the day at just over 1000.
  • JessicaLCHF
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Oops, forgot I had dessert too. Actually I was at 1,193 cals after a bowl of chocolate carb smart ice cream with pecans on it for dessert. Yummy.

The point is, you can use any milk. You could prolly actually create something using heavy cream mixed with water to cut the calories since you don't favor almond milk. Kinda like you make tea.

My favorite part is the frothy bubbles.
  • kpk54
    Options
    @JessicaLCHF
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I'd consider making it again if I favored the lower calorie refrigerated, popular boxed coconut or almond milks to keep the calories down but since I don't, I won't. Everyone's taste is different. It's just a matter of taste.
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    ? I saw that. See above.
  • kpk54
    Options
    @JessicaLCHF
    I've turned mine into a Chai adding water and a couple Constant Comment teabags. Fits my calories better and will keep in the refrigerator a few days.

LOL. I should just write shorter posts. :p Appreciate your ideas though. <3
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    Lol. It's been one of those days!
  • Perry47
    Perry47 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of this in cooler weather.
    AZ summers are too hot for this warming treat. But cooler weather is coming. I drink it mid-afternoon as a pick-me-up, using Almond Milk and adding cinnamon, cardamon, nutmeg, and ginger to the turmeric.
  • FungusGirl
    FungusGirl Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    That sounds really awesome! I'm going to try it, but maybe use ginger juice that I have.
    Thanks for the recipe!! It's going to be great for inflammation and the gut!
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Bump...This sounds yummy! Love spicy things....Need to try this....maybe this weekend.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I read tumeric is only 3% curcumin so went on a mission and found fresh curcumin. I'll give it try tomorrow. The recipe I found is: coconut milk, coconut oil, cinnamon sticks, fresh curcumin, fresh ginger, peppercorns. Stevia for sweetener vs honey. Bring to low boil and strain. I chewed on a tiny piece of the root on the way home. It is considerably sweeter than tumeric and much less bitter. No room in my calories today but looking forward to it!

@kpk54 - I'm excited to hear this. I found curcumin root at my local shop when looking for ginger, and I'm not a fan of turmeric, so I'll definitely try this next time I have a few bucks available.

I am not a huge fan of coconut ANYTHING, but I might try this just because.. I've been enjoying my lemon ginger "tea" of late... Do you think the curcumin would work in that, too?
  • kpk54
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

@kpk54 - I'm excited to hear this. I found curcumin root at my local shop when looking for ginger, and I'm not a fan of turmeric, so I'll definitely try this next time I have a few bucks available.

I am not a huge fan of coconut ANYTHING, but I might try this just because.. I've been enjoying my lemon ginger "tea" of late... Do you think the curcumin would work in that, too?

Look up Chai recipes for a variety to your lemon ginger. Green cardamom pod is a primary ingredient but you can toss in a few slices of curcumin root. Cinnamon, clove, ginger, peppercorns. We have lots of Indian and Asian markets in my area so can purchase just a few pennies worth of fresh curcumin. I just break off as little as I need if I don't see a small enough chunk. Sort of like buying 1 one serrano pepper or a little nob of ginger root :) I just use HWC in chai (versus coconut anything) and I like mine sweet.
  • kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Yum that looks good. Thanks for the tip!