Eating exercise calories

Options
This may be addressed somewhere already. If so, please just point me to a link! I'm wondering about eating back exercise calories. I'm currently eating at a 15% deficit (2300 calories), but am always over my calories in order to get in my 180 grams of protein. I'm logging a daily burn of about 200-300 calories per workout. I'm also showing a total daily burn of close to 3k calories... should I be eating those workout calories?

Replies

• jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Maybe your tdee should be slightly higher? Is that 180 grams 30%?
  • carolinamombo
    carolinamombo Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    The 180 grams is not 30%. It's slightly higher.
  • carolinamombo
    Options
    30% would be 173 grams. I chose 180 based on my mini goals from the workshop.
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    What are you using to show a daily burn of 3000? Fitbit?

If your gadget is telling you your daily burn is 3k, that is your TDEE... so 15% of that would be 2600 cals. It sounds like you need to increase your TDEE level
    If you are going by this formula, you do not eatback any exercise cals, as those are already included in your daily burn.

Hope this helps
    Kelly
    EM2WL Ambassador and Moderator

• carolinamombo
    Options
    Helps a ton, Kelly! Thank you! Answered my question exactly.

Yes, using fitbit blaze to calulate. Of course, it is different every day depending on workouts and rest days. I started off with these numbers/percentages before I started using the fitbit. Guess I'll be doing some recalculations. Thanks!
  • TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    @carolinamombo Exactly what Kelly said. Your actual TDEE is higher than what you calculated, which means your deficit is too big. Good job on hitting your protein goals!

Tereza
    EM2WL Moderator and Team Member
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Helps a ton, Kelly! Thank you! Answered my question exactly.

Yes, using fitbit blaze to calulate. Of course, it is different every day depending on workouts and rest days. I started off with these numbers/percentages before I started using the fitbit. Guess I'll be doing some recalculations. Thanks!

Take the average of your numbers for the week and make that TDEE. Some days will be higher than others naturally, so average for the week, or even the month, if that is consistent and that should give you a nice average TDEE number

Kelly
    EM2WL Ambassador and Moderator
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Yes, something many of us fall into, underestimating activity level. I know I did!
    Good news! More food!
    And well done for spotting it yourself rather than just blindly following your originally calculated numbers!
    Ichel
    EM2WL ambassador and moderator
  • LastChanceKY
    LastChanceKY Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    What a great post. Really helpful, thank you