GoaD on the Run - Friday 10/21

Options
Calvin2008Brian
Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
This thread is for GOADies who like to run. New runners, old runners, and even wannabe runners meet here to discuss the joys and challenges of running. Use this space to log your miles, ask questions, share your race reports, or for anything else related to running.

New runners - and even those just thinking about starting out - are always welcome. There's no reason to lurk here. Join the pack and tell us about your running!

Oftentimes the GotR thread will pose a question or raise an issue in order to facilitate the conversation, but this is always an open forum to chat about any running-related topic.

Today's topic: running after dark. Surprisingly, it's not as difficult as you might think. What precautions do you take when running in the dark? When will you run in the dark, and when do you opt for a TM or indoor track?

Alt: your weekend running, or whatever else you want to talk about.

Have a great TGIF day, all!

Replies

• Calvin2008Brian
    Options
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I just got a waist mounted light which I tried out on my runs this week that started before the sun came up. Works well. I also clip on some blinkers so cars can see me and I stick to a route I'm very familiar with to avoid potential trip hazards.

When it is icy, I won't run in the dark. It was bad enough that black ice got me in broad daylight last January. It takes too long to recover from close encounters with pavement. The treadmill is my friend during the week.

No running this weekend, rather a bunch of hiking! 6.6 miles today to wrap up the Waukesha county portion of the Ice Age Trail. Tomorrow will either be 18 or 26.2 as I move over to the next county.
  • StuartPW
    StuartPW Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have a nerd lamp (read: head lamp) that works very well for running. I see a lot of folks out there with them so I'm not alone. I've not run in the dark yet but when I do, I wear reflective gear and lights. I also don't listen to music so I can be "sound aware" of approaching traffic.

Fall is definitely my favorite running season. So beautiful!!

To quote CalBrian, "Run happy, everyone."
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I ran a half this morning. Great weather - it was about 55 degrees at the start. I felt good the entire race and ended up just three minutes off my PR. Really nice day.
  • shenry111
    shenry111 Posts: 4,144 Member
    Options
    Awesome job, Phil!
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Options
    Philtex wrote: »
    I ran a half this morning.

Congrats!

No running yesterday as Gophers football ate up my morning and afternoon. At the office for a half day today, then planning 4-5 early afternoon. Probably around a lake (go figure).
  • gadgetgirlIL
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @Philtex - WTG!!!

Yesterday I started in on the Walworth/Jefferson County segments of the Ice Age trail and got 6 of the 8 segments done for 19.7 miles. My GPS watch underreported as the trail was about 80% of climbing and snaking around in heavy forest. My Fitbit gave me credit for 300+ floors! My legs certainly agree with that number! Even though I had hiked and run portions of some of these segments previously, I swear they added more hills. And rocks. The fall colors were lovely, but the fallen leaves did a good job hiding trip hazards. I, however, did NOT kiss the trail. Finished off with a 16 mile bike ride back to my car.

No running again until next weekend for me. I'm having a painful eye procedure done tomorrow morning. I had this done on the left eye in June and I was laid low for the entire week. Now it is time for the right eye. My goal is to be LESS miserable this time. If I can sleep most of the first 72 hours, that would be great although the kitties will likely be annoyed that they can't have their normal napping spot (our bed).
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Options
    cc5tu6piuxrl.jpg Seen on the run: this big flock of American Coots on Grays Bay of Lake Minnetonka. I did a nice 5 mile loop in the early afternoon. Seeing these guys was the highlight. They're just passing through here this time of year on their autumn migration. Fascinating bird, if you're into that sort of thing.

@gadgetgirlIL - that sounds like a blast. So you pre-position the bike and hike one way, biking the return? I like that and will keep it in mind. Good luck with your eye procedure.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    Options
    @Calvin2008Brian - yep, Friday I parked my car at the north end of the segment and rode south then hiked. Yesterday I staged the bike at a trailhead then drove south to start the hike. It all depends on what the parking conditions/bike locking conditions are like as well as where I'm headed after the ride. Allows me to combine my two most favorite activities!

I use my beater bike so I'm not worried about it being stolen. I deliberately leave it dirty.