How "regular" are you on keto?

Options
Zilia81
Zilia81 Posts: 9 Member
One of those "nice" questions. he he
But seriously, how do I get regular on keto? It's driving me crazy and makes me feel really ...
I'm drinking enough. The only diary is around 50g of Mascarpone at breakfast, every other day. I eat a lot of eggs though. Around 3-4 a day.
I'm finishing my second week on keto tomorrow. So perhaps my gut is still getting used to the radical change? Bought some prebiotic yesterday at the pharmacy. Hoping that will help.

Replies

• BT_rescuemom
    BT_rescuemom Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Omg. I have not actually gone in over a week. Like 8 days. I took some mag citrate drink (nastiest stuff ever) last night and still no result. I am 23 days in.

I think it definitely takes some time for our GI system to get used to it. You would think with all the fat that goes in me that constipation would not be a problem. Ha! Oh, and coffee! That usually helps too.

Heavy on the fibrous veggies, tons of water, and take some magnesium supplement. Those this will help.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Well, you'll actually go less often simply eating less junk and carbs overall. That's totally normal.
    There's just less waste when your food isn't full of fillers.
    If you're actually constipated, magnesium helps. Check the launchpad info about electrolytes for recommendations on what kind to get.
    And in some cases, fiber, either too much or too little can be the issue. For me, I can't eat fiber. Pretty much at all. I found relief from constipation by going zero carb.
    It's very different for everyone.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    YMMV, and some here would rather drink Drano, but I find the effect of a couple doses of fiber a day, in addition to high-fiber veggies and a microscopic amount of high-fiber legumes, would make Big Ben look erratic....

• MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Magnesium supplements move things right along for me. I hope you find what works for you!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Clockwork. The only thing that has every caused me a problem was when I decided to take a multiple vitamin. I endured 2 weeks in August of gastro problems (opposite of the OPs). I knew I had not changed my foods. I just KNEW I had not though I sure tried to find the devil food in my diary. One day a light bulb turned on in my head and I stopped taking the vitamin. In a day or 2 my problem stopped. I've been fine since. Whodathunk?

OP, are you taking any sort of vitamins/minerals? They could have that effect. If magnesium has one effect, there may be a vitamin/mineral that has the opposite.
  • suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Making sure I get a daily tsp of salt makes a difference. This is a low residue diet, so frequency and volume are less than on high carb.
  • 603PIPER
    603PIPER Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I've noticed regularity has dropped a bit since starting keto, but I will throw in some fiber supplements if I have not gotten enough naturally throughout the day.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    As long as my fiber is 0 grams, I am very regular and never have problems.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Once per week, same day. Therefore, pretty regular, if a little slow paced.
  • tribal351
    tribal351 Posts: 72 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I had issues the first few weeks, took some Phillip's capsules to get me over the hump. After a few weeks my body adjusted, very seldom have issues any more. Oh, I also take a magnesium/potassium supplement now, too.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I got.... faster if anything. More regular. It was actually a bit too fast for me for a while but it settled down after a few months.

Magnesium, nus and coconut oil get things going faster for most. Coffee too.... BPC maybe?
  • BT_rescuemom
    Options
    @Zilia81 I'm trying Smooth Move tea tonight, will report back with a review. Lol
  • BT_rescuemom
    Options
    The tea didn't work. And it tasted kinda gross.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    I eat around 30 net carbs a day and I have been regular as clockwork (daily). The only things that ever slow me down are too little exercise and really dry cheeses like super sharp cheddar and Swiss.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    I eat around 30 net carbs a day and I have been regular as clockwork (daily). The only things that ever slow me down are too little exercise and really dry cheeses like super sharp cheddar and Swiss.

Completely concur with exercise. For all facets of health and well being. I see many, many, many conflicting opinions on many, many, many things regarding health, weight, etc. I've personally never seen that it is "bad" to get a little exercise tailored to one's ability. Exercise can be many things. Chopping wood is exercise. Walking is exercise. Lifting is exercise. Just move.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Yes, I concur :confounded: I used to brew it and let it get down to room temp, and then chug it down quick! 50/50 if it worked or not...

I'm not keto anymore, but i had 3 sure fire ways to keep me regular.

Psyllium husk powder. In a coffee mug i mix 25g psyllium with 40g of protein powder, 150ml Almond milk and top up with boiled water, i mix it all together with an immersion blender. It turns out like a chocolate pudding, or whatever flavour your protein powder is. I still have this everyday for lunch. If i have enough calories, i also add 15g of coconut oil. I mix it all together like this because psyllium is vile stuff, and i just can not get it down mixed with plain water.

Magnesium, but this only works me for me when i take it before bed on an empty stomach. i could take 10 tablets during the day and it would have no effect.

MCT oil. When all else fails mix 15ml into your first cup of coffee in the morning, again on an empty tummy. This usually starts working before i can finish the cup :lol:
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I take 20 grams of chia seeds every morning except on weekends. I let them swell up in a cup of water over night then add half of a protein drink to them in the morning. That's my breakfast. I don't go as much as I use to but I don't have any uhhh binding problems!
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I heard fermented foods like sauerkraut help with digestion, so I'm going to be digging into the cabbage world this week. Now if only I can spell it without needing auto correct ;) I take a magnesium supplement called calm plus calcium which is a powder you can stir into water, it's tasty but you have to be careful with it. Too much at once and suddenly you'll have the opposite problem.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Twice a day, every day. Guess my insides are just weird.

In the past me and the bathroom were best friends, now we just get on.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options

Yes, I concur :confounded: I used to brew it and let it get down to room temp, and then chug it down quick! 50/50 if it worked or not...

I'm not keto anymore, but i had 3 sure fire ways to keep me regular.

Psyllium husk powder. In a coffee mug i mix 25g psyllium with 40g of protein powder, 150ml Almond milk and top up with boiled water, i mix it all together with an immersion blender. It turns out like a chocolate pudding, or whatever flavour your protein powder is. I still have this everyday for lunch. If i have enough calories, i also add 15g of coconut oil. I mix it all together like this because psyllium is vile stuff, and i just can not get it down mixed with plain water.

Magnesium, but this only works me for me when i take it before bed on an empty stomach. i could take 10 tablets during the day and it would have no effect.

MCT oil. When all else fails mix 15ml into your first cup of coffee in the morning, again on an empty tummy. This usually starts working before i can finish the cup :lol:

Behold the Holy Trinity of Keto-regularity..... thx for the revelation!