New to all this......Low carbing and EM2WL

Options
btrsun10
btrsun10 Posts: 37 Member
Hi guys,
I've been reading and digesting everything for the last couple of months and everything you say makes a great deal of sense to me.
My question is does low carbing (specifically keto) work with EM2WL?
I've been low carbing for a while with great results and am enjoying it. I'm eating around 1500 cal a day and all my cravings and hunger seems to have subsided.
The thing is, I would like to continue with the keto but it makes sense to me to up my calorie intake in order to make this a change for life.
I lift 3 times a week for approx. 1 hour and walk (at 4.5 mph) or hiit 3 times a week.
I am a 45 yr old female, 157 lbs and 5ft 5. My BMR seems to be around 1364 with my TDEE around 1950 based on the above.
I am weighing and measuring everything that goes in my mouth and am happy that I am being accurate.
I'm averaging around 1450 cals per day, sometimes less as I am just not hungry.
Any advice or tips would be very gratefully received.
Thanks for reading. :)

Replies

• Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Is there any particular reason you are doing Keto? The first thing I would consider is why you are doing Keto, especially if there is no medical reason to. Second thing would be to ask yourself, can you honestly see yourself living the rest of your life in a low carb life? That means eliminating so many things, not just a quick fix right now for weight loss. Likely means your carb level is so low, there is zero room for any extras.. something as simple as a piece of fruit can put you over your keto carb levels. Is that something you are willing and capable of giving up for the rest of your life?
    If you cant see yourself on this path for the rest of your life, then I would highly suggest reevaluating the low carb plan. If you have no issues and this is your new lifestyle, then by all means, carry on.

To be honest the reason why you are successful with the low carb, is that it forces you to think about upping the protein and fat levels. That is what we focus on with EM2WL, an increase in protein to about 30% of your daily intake. Protein is what fuels the body, helps repair the muscles after workouts and it is what keeps you fuller, longer. So by automatically lowering the carb level down so low, it raises the protein level up really high.
    So if you want to continue with keto, with a higher calorie level, then you need to focus on keeping that protein level up much higher.

Are you looking to increase up to your TDEE level? if so, so slowly, adding in about 50-100 cals a day until that becomes normal, and then step up from there. Its a gradual process and increasing cals can take a long while for those that come from low cal levels.. just go slowly and steady with it

Kelly
    EM2WL Ambassador and Moderator
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
  • btrsun10
    Options
    The reason I'm doing keto or low carbing is due to the awful sugar spikes and fatigue I was suffering. I was finding that I was often left feeling shaky about half an hour after eating and also bloated. When I cut out the sugar this totally disappeared. Also, come 2pm I was completely exhausted and could have gone to bed for an hour. Most evenings I was coming home and had no energy. I could have been in bed at 7.30pm some nights if the week!
    I decided to give it a go and for me (I emphasis for me) the change has been immense. I have no sugar spikes, no headaches and mountains of energy. I don't crave sweets of chocolate and am happy eating the things I love......meat, full fat cheese, cream, veg. I was never a fruit eater anyway, I only did it as I thought I should cos that what is drilled into us.
    I know it does not work for everyone, but it works for ME. Yes, I can see me sustaining this way of life. I like the food, I feel better and I'm losing inches. It makes me happy :)
    In fact, this week I've upped my cals to 1650.
  • empressichel
    Options
    Gah! Why has my comment become the invisible man!!!!!
    What I said was.....
    I do know of other EM2WL'ers who have done it doing Keto so it can be done, just takes a bit more planning. Like I'm vegan, and it can be done, just need to tweak things and do them slightly differently.
    It's your life, your rules! If being Keto is the thing you don't want to compromise on, then we've got to find a way to make it work!
    Absolutely great to see that you are increasing cals already, nice work!
    Ichel
    EM2WL Ambassador and moderator
  • btrsun10
    Options
    Thank you Ichel. Ive decided today to inch up to 1700. Everything I read here and elsewhere just tells me that this is the right thing to do. Ive tried low cals in the past (not for a while I must say) and yes, they work initially but long term I just end up starving and depressed! Ive been around gyms and have good friends who are trainers who have been beating it into me for years that the way forward is to train and FUEL your body properly!! They are the proof in the pudding......why have I been doubting them for so long?? Actually I'm annoyed at all the years of misery and wasted time. I guess its just hard to believe after all the BS we are fed by so called health experts that low cal, low fat is best?
    I doubt I need that much of a reset, Ive been eating way above what all the calculators say my TDEE for a long time. Albeit, a lot of sugar but still way above.
    I'm going to slowly inch up, bit by bit and enjoy the good food!
  • empressichel
    Options
    Good plan!
    It's weird how we can be given all the evidence and still ignore the real truth staring us in the face!
    Cognitive dissonance I guess.
    You're on the right track now though, I'm sure your friends will be pleased with the changes you are making and you will always have our full support here.
    Ichel
    EM2WL ambassador and moderator
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    As long as your plan is YOURS then thats all that matters:) Keto is definitely doable, but again, just make sure whatever you do, it is something you can sustain for your life. EM2WL is not a one size fits all type of thing so whatever works for you is the way to go.

Keep on increasing the cals!
    Kelly
    EM2WL Ambassador and Moderator
  • btrsun10
    Options
    Ok so I've bitten the bullet mad gone up to 1800 cals. Feel ok. I was suitably hungry today although I did lift for an hour and walk at about 4.5mph for another 2. Ate all the food and feel good.
    I'll see what next week brings but maybe increase again a bit then.
    Thanks.
  • TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Excellent job on increasing your calories! Make sure you know what to expect when increasing here: http://eatmore2weighless.com/upping-cals-what-to-expect/
    http://pin.it/TBozynY

Tereza
    EM2WL Moderator and Team Member
  • empressichel
    Options
    Good job!
    'Ate all the good and felt good' - this is what we like to hear!
    Let us know how you feel this week!
    Ichel
    EM2WL ambassador and moderator