Too much sodium or not enough water? Worried!

Options
Sorry another question, to avoid Keto-Flu yesterday and today I downed 1tps salt to offset any lost soduim, I am peeing and drinking quite a bit. trying not to over do the water though, this morning my fingers are puffy! I am retaining water... yesterday was my first 20 carb day, today I intend to stay that way... is it normal to retain a bit of water at the beginning as your body starts freaking out ? cheers.

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Not typically.
    Are you drinking even when you're not thirsty? If so, back off on water.
    If you're only drinking when thirsty, then just salt your foods without adding it to water and continue only drinking when thirsty. See if that helps. May be a couple days before it levels out.
  • kiwiapplepear
    kiwiapplepear Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks I panicked about the extra salt I downed... but I don't think it would damage me surely lol, I have probably eaten way more eating a bag of chips etc... I think the major part for me is I need to get past the anxiety that I am doing something "bad" to my body and I am looking for clues that its not doing me good, it's amazing how entrenched our beliefs about food become, IO need to trust the process there is so much evidence... Cheers.
  • grafixfrh
    grafixfrh Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    To be honest there is no need to down salt in that fashion just add salt to the meals you eat and drink plenty of water a day your body will adjust and level it out. Pay attention to your body it does give signs to its needs and with time you will be able to read the signs better.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Do have a look through the launchpad. It helped me get around "I am going against all sane advice" stage. Best of luck!
  • suehbca
    suehbca Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    When I started I had keto flu for several weeks. Most people do not. I'm sure I had this during the change as my body needed lots of healing. I don't remember having swelling, I did drink boullion for headaches and weakness. It did help me feel better. I also got some potassium supplements. Some people have little or no keto flu symptoms. It is all very individual. It could ease your worries to have your doctor run some basic labs and track any changes. Mine have been really good so far. Best wishes.