Let's Talk about....hitting plateau

Options
I had 40 lbs WHOOSH away in four months. Then the plateau hit. I've been patiently waiting for it to end, sticking to what I've been doing for the past two months. :/ It's been long enough. I've re-entered my info in the keto calculator on Reddit. Sure enough, I've lost enough weight some changes needed to be made.

Truthfully, I've gone the laziest route possible, simply avoiding foods that aren't kosher on the keto diet. I haven't worried about macros, calories, too much fat, etc etc. I knew it would have to change when I started, but I figured I'd stick to it longer if I began with the smallest amount of effort. I'm in the process of setting myself up for more success. The digital scale was purchased today. I'm busily turning the bushel of peaches I froze last year into butter and jam so there is plenty of room in the upright freezer (they'll become Christmas gifts). Sometime next week all my lunches and dinners for the month will be ready-made and on point for macro and calorie goals.

Has anyone else dealt with plateau? What did you do?

Replies

• suehbca
    suehbca Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I had a plateau for 2 1/2 months. I found I was eating when I wasn't really hungry and too many calories. I used a macro calculator on-line (a few really) and I had to lower the calories from what was shown to me. I also was baking for lchf treats & that's one reason I ate too much. I'm doing better now that I only bake one per week and only eat when I'm hungry. Lately I have failed in that as I am so used to eating by time of day. My husband cooks dinners and it is hard to tell him I'm not really hungry sometimes.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Yep, most common reason for plateau is simply eating too much. You might need to tighten things up and track for a while. Calories do matter, Keto is not magic and you won't lose weight if you eat too much.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Yep, most common reason for plateau is simply eating too much. You might need to tighten things up and track for a while. Calories do matter, Keto is not magic and you won't lose weight if you eat too much.

Perfectly stated, @EbonyDahlia!
    Words to live by - and nail upon our fridge and cupboard doors.
  • Allmyusernamesaretakengeeze
    Options
    My plateau broke after a two-month break from keto.

I didn't even try over the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays. The day after I started back on diet, my FIL fell and fractured his pelvis in two places. He had Parkinson's Disease and the fall was more than his body could handle. He came home on Hospice care and I basically caught sleep in two-hour sessions so I could take care of him. He was sick for years with the Parkinson's. We've been saying goodbye for a long time.

The good news is as soon as I started diet, the weight fell off. I'm one lb away of Goal #2 which is 50 lbs lost! I was going to reward myself with running but the tendons in my right ankle say no. So, I'm turning a bedroom into a home gym.