BBC One Panarama

Options
ClarissaCLD
ClarissaCLD Posts: 212 Member
edited October 2016 in Social Groups
I am just watching Panarama about Type II Diabetes. It was on BBC One about 3 weeks ago and I am just getting around to watching it.

I think I will be keeping this recording and rewatching it every time I'm tempted to eat rubbish. It really hit home what my future holds if I don't do something about it now!

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Yikes. That's a scary video...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsBKHXu2c0I
  • JaneKnoll1
    JaneKnoll1 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Yikes. That's a scary video...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsBKHXu2c0I

OMG horrific. EVERY SINGLE type 2 diabetic person needs to watch this.
    Since the day of my diagnosis end of April 2015 I have tried my hardest to control my blood sugar and change to a healthier lifestyle.
    That video just brings home the absolute necessity to keep a healthy weight and eat properly and exercise. NEVER STOP.
    I was scared spitless when I was diagnosed and I still have a healthy fear...seeing that movie cemented everything.
    No excuses. none.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    So true. I think I'll have nightmares tonight....

I have neuropathy in my leg from a back injury so watching those amputations was scary. I worry about stuff like that.... I've actually hurt my foot in the past and not known it until the blood soaked through my shoe. If that gets worse with badly controlled BG.... Eek.

Definitely a show to scare you straight.
  • JaneKnoll1
    Options
    I have some kidney involvement and I get you...scarey stuff but it's shocking what an epidemic it's become including kids...
  • ClarissaCLD
    ClarissaCLD Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    One thing I definitely took from the show, if i injure my foot get treatment straight away. Better to lose a toe than a whole foot if possible.

Of course I would rather lose neither and get my diabetes / weight under control.
  • JaneKnoll1
    Options
    One thing I definitely took from the show, if i injure my foot get treatment straight away. Better to lose a toe than a whole foot if possible.

Of course I would rather lose neither and get my diabetes / weight under control.
    You can do it. Every morning and how ever often you have to, say to yourself you can do this. I repeated it all the hours of my waking day at first until I knew I could do it. Now I say it every morning and when I am feeling discouraged or weak.
    We can and we have to do this!! An army of diabetes warriors.
    We are definitely not alone. Many many people fighting this AND keeping healthy as they can be. If that is your highest priority and even if you have complications you are going to do better if you get things under control and live a healthy lifestyle.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    So true. I think I'll have nightmares tonight....

I have neuropathy in my leg from a back injury so watching those amputations was scary. I worry about stuff like that.... I've actually hurt my foot in the past and not known it until the blood soaked through my shoe. If that gets worse with badly controlled BG.... Eek.

Definitely a show to scare you straight.

Yeah, that's scary, all right!

Back before Banting first injected T1D kids with insulin (1920s?), there were many diabetics who would never be able to live anything even approximating normal lives.

Today, almost all T2Ds have access to the tools not only to live well, but also to keep our blood sugar and insulin close to the levels that non-diabetics take for granted.

Yet the nightmares continue....

How tragic to see timeless plagues of the human condition - addiction, indifference, denial, etc. - lead to such painful, avoidable scenarios!