Balancing fat and protein without straight up eating a hunk of butter.

Options
Hi All. I think I have my carbs under control. My issue has been meeting my fat goal. I am currently at 1200 calories per day and have a goal of 60 grams of protein and 100 grams of fat (and 15 grams of carbs). I feel like I can't strike a balance with the fat and protein. I made a low carb meat loaf for my meal prepping this week and it ended up being 37.6 grams of protein per serving and 23.6 grams of fat. I am feeling like I'm going to have to go over my calories to reach my fat goal every day because there are few things that have just fat in them.

I'm going to switch to heavy cream in my coffee in the mornings, but I'm looking for some other tips on how to up my fat intake without going too far over my protein goal. This week will probably be a wash because I have 7 more slices of meatloaf to eat (and it is delicious) and I'll be working out, but I'm trying to find other changes I can make in the future to meet my fat goal more consistently.

Thank you in advance!

Replies

• RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    You do not need to meet the fat goal. Fat is meant to fill you up when you have hit your limit in carbs and you still feel hunger. @Catawampous is correct. Don't try to meet it - if you aren't hungry then no worries. Let your body eat up the fat stores you have instead of fat you take in. I tend to eat more protein than my allotment and fewer fat grams most days and I don't worry as long as my protein isn't crazy. So I try to balance them - if I eat chicken I eat higher fat chicken with skin (think thighs) but if I do eat a breast without skin I add cheese or butter to it.
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I guess my fear was that too much protein would be harmful to the ketosis. I read excess protein will get converted to glucose.
    I need to switch up my breakfast routine because I was starving before lunch, but I'm quite satisfied now and I should be good until after my spinning class tonight.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I agree with the others that you don't need to meet your fat goals. If you're hungry though or feeling snacky, try making fat bombs. I make mine with coconut oil, a few drops of sweetener and peanut butter, and keep them in the freezer. I use the lowest sugar peanut butter I could find which is the Adams brand, the only ingredients are peanuts and salt.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I guess my fear was that too much protein would be harmful to the ketosis. I read excess protein will get converted to glucose.
    I need to switch up my breakfast routine because I was starving before lunch, but I'm quite satisfied now and I should be good until after my spinning class tonight.

As I understand it only people with glucose issues - insulin resistant, diabetic, etc. need worry about this unless you are eating so much freaking protein that it's inordinate. Someone smarter than I? @Sunny_Bunny_
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    It takes a while to find your balance. What works and what doesn't for you. I have protein set at 30%. But I am 54 and have read I need a bit extra in that area than younger folk require. I don't always hit it but if I'm within about 15 grams I'm ok with that. Sometimes I will go over. Like when I'm a pig LOL
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options

This is a classic case of YMMV. I am IR. If I eat too much protein - especially later in the day - my FBG will be elevated the next day. There are others who seem to have no issue with this. To be clear, I am not talking about just a little more protein, I am talking about pushing double my daily goal.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Mascarpone cheese and cream cheese. Highest fat to protein ratio I have found except for oil.
  • CinderellaDaisy
    CinderellaDaisy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I should check out your diary I have no problem reaching fat goals it's my protein that I don't hit and it's usually made up of carbs
  • TomKershawUK
    TomKershawUK Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure you need to count calories as a first principle when following a low carb high fat diet. Reducing carbs and eating "real food" seems to result in better and more automatic appetite regulation, at least in my case...
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options

Are you diabetic or think you may be insulin resistant? If not, you don't need to limit protein. You don't want to go crazy but mostly because a consistently very high protein diet can be rough on the kidneys and digestion, but the process of GNG, protein being converted to glucose, is a demand driven process. Normal demand isn't very high. With insulin resistance the demand is higher and therefore more likely to happen. So, it becomes necessary to be mindful of it.
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    Options

Are you diabetic or think you may be insulin resistant? If not, you don't need to limit protein. You don't want to go crazy but mostly because a consistently very high protein diet can be rough on the kidneys and digestion, but the process of GNG, protein being converted to glucose, is a demand driven process. Normal demand isn't very high. With insulin resistance the demand is higher and therefore more likely to happen. So, it becomes necessary to be mindful of it.

Nope, not diabetic or anything like that. Just someone who googled a little too much!
    I'll keep that in mind. I exceeded my protein goal, but I won't worry about it!
    Thank you!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about going over in protein.

I had the same issue when I first switched to keto. I'd done the Dukan diet in the past and I found myself with high protein and not a ton of fat. Now I get a lot of my fat through heavy cream (30 ml each in my breakfast and lunchtime coffees :)), cheeses, fattier meats, bacon, avocado, cream cheese, etc.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options

"too much protein" and "excess protein" are thrown around a lot without hard numbers associated with them. Assuming you don't have some sort of condition (typically diabetes--but not even all diabetics), these terms are referring to amounts of protein that even I find Herculean. We're talking 250-350 grams (or more) daily, for multiple days in a row. I'll hit 250 grams some days and I've broken 300 grams before, it's no big deal. Now, consider the fact that breaking those numbers usually gets me into the 3,000-5,000 calorie range. It's not something you do accidentally while trying to lose weight.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9416027
    Protein has a minimal effect on blood glucose levels with adequate insulin. However, with insulin deficiency, gluconeogenesis proceeds rapidly and contributes to an elevated blood glucose level. With adequate insulin, the blood glucose response in persons with diabetes would be expected to be similar to the blood glucose response in persons without diabetes. The reason why protein does not increase blood glucose levels is unclear. Several possibilities might explain the response: a slow conversion of protein to glucose, less protein being converted to glucose and released than previously thought, glucose from protein being incorporated into hepatic glycogen stores but not increasing the rate of hepatic glucose release, or because the process of gluconeogenesis from protein occurs over a period of hours and glucose can be disposed of if presented for utilization slowly and evenly over a long time period.

In short, don't worry about hitting 100 grams or 120 grams. Heck, don't even stress about 150 grams. You're likely not even close.
  • FungusGirl
    FungusGirl Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Awesome question! I just got a few answers myself on this thread!
  • champak045
    champak045 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Sarahb29 wrote: »
    I agree with the others that you don't need to meet your fat goals. If you're hungry though or feeling snacky, try making fat bombs. I make mine with coconut oil, a few drops of sweetener and peanut butter, and keep them in the freezer. I use the lowest sugar peanut butter I could find which is the Adams brand, the only ingredients are peanuts and salt.

try Almond Butter -- lot better and healthy for heart