Does cold weather affect metabolism?

Options
kmn118
kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
I have been reading here that a LOT of us have had increased appetites lately, myself included. While there are seasonal triggers, such as Halloween candy on display, traditional Thanksgiving recipes that are full of sugar and white carbs and Christmas cookies to bake, I was wondering if the cold(er) weather can affect appetite just through temperature change. I found conflicting articles about this, so I am asking here because this group has done the research work and have great insights into this WOE. Posting a link to ONE of the articles I found.

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-research-matters/cool-temperature-alters-human-fat-metabolism

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Shiver for your health - I like it!!!
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to say, intuitively, hell yes!!
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I dont live in very cold weather so I don't know lol but I think the bombardment of FOOD when the holidays are around, I feel like we are being brainwashed lol
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    that's interesting! I keep my house cooler than average all year round...just can't sleep if it's warm 67 degrees is my preferred temp.
  • kiwiapplepear
    kiwiapplepear Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    ok this is not about weather but i just moved out of the coldest house ever, we brought a old industrial office made from bricks even the internal walls, no insulation or heating, the house never got above 9 degrees celcius, (our plan was to renovate etc etc) no matter how much heating we pumped into this building the high ceilings and the brick walls and exposed steel beams sucked up the heat, I put on 20kgs in two years and I am sure it was the shear cold, my metabolism stopped burning calories, trying to hold on to body fat for heat... (I live in Southern NewZealand its freezing in winter). I have moved out until the place is finished and I am feeling so much better...
  • KetoLady86
    KetoLady86 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    that's interesting! I keep my house cooler than average all year round...just can't sleep if it's warm 67 degrees is my preferred temp.

Mine is 68! I can feel tge difference its 67 or 69...everyone knows..mom has to have it on 68!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Yikes, don't know how you can live at 67 in the house. I have to wear wooly ski socks, a long sleeve T and a hoody, with sweatpants at 21C (70). I can tell the difference without looking if it drops to 20C. Sometimes if I'm feeling deeply bone chilled and a really hot tea doesn't help (usually between 7:30 and 11 pm) I will crank up the heat to 24C (75). We do set the temperature down to 17C (63) at night while we sleep (or while I'm away at work, lol) but I have to be under a sheet, Hudson Bay Point Blanket, and a down duvet (and usually wearing socks and a t-shirt). Could be the fibromyalgia though. It can make one especially sensitive to environmental stimuli (including cold).
    I'd probably be happy in Arizona in August, lol.
  • missippibelle
    missippibelle Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    KetoLady86 wrote: »

Mine is 68! I can feel tge difference its 67 or 69...everyone knows..mom has to have it on 68!

That is me! We have our AC on 67 at night. I turn it up while a work a little. I have a condition where the blood vessels overreact to heat or cold, but the react to heat much worse. I want icicles on my nose, and I still have to stick my feet out of the covers sometimes!

• slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Living in New England, moved to a second floor condo. It is really toasty in my unit because there are elderly folks in the units under and around me. I went from spending $400/month to heat a big house with oil, to $11/month gas bill! yea! This condo unit is always at a consistent 74F with the heat off. I open the windows at night even in the winter, cause I love the air. It is the one upside to downsizing.
    @kiwiapplepear, I feel your pain. It was like that in my old house, where you could literally look outside through the gaps in the window and door frames. Hated being cold all the time and being told to put on another layer of clothes! LOL.

Interesting article. Thanks for posting. Personally, I feel my appetite is the same year round. I'm always wanting to eat!! It is the lack of going outside to exercise, or going out and doing anything for that matter, that really contributes to putting on pounds Fall/Winter. I really have to force myself and not fall into bad habits.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I think I must be backwards...I've always had an easier time losing weight in cooler weather. I stall once summer hits every time. I'm sure there's something I'm doing that causes it...we'll see this upcoming summer.
  • silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I think a big part of the winter wieght problem is that when its cold outside people tend to spend more time sitting inside, so less of a day-to-day calorie burn. All these damn wonderful cookies, pies, etc makes it worse!
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    It's probably a combination of people staying indoors to avoid the weather (who wants to slip on black ice? Not me) and eating out of boredom from staying indoors. Too much candy, popcorn, cookies, hot coca, holiday treats, stuff like that :) I don't know how I managed to avoid it all last year, this year I might be going home for Christmas too and esssh that will be a nightmare. I plan on going grocery shopping once I get there before I unpack, lol.
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    This link doesn't really address the cold weather question about metabolism, but I found it informative.
    http://drberg.ontraport.net/c/s/vBz/6iVtS/v/zA/6UiY/6Fmm8E/srv9Jdsobg
  • Cyndi146
    Cyndi146 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    We're a cold house family too. I live in California so it doesn't get terribly cold compared to other places, but we run a whole house fan pretty much every night and the other morning it was 53 degrees in the house! haha! I knew my daughter would never get out of bed to get ready for school so I made husband turn on the heat to bring it up to 62. We all love it though and daughter is usually the one requesting to turn it on when she goes to bed.
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Yes, cold affects your metabolism. The body has to use energy to maintain body heat. When the weather is colder, the body has to expend more energy to maintain its ideal temperature.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    That was an interesting little article. I wasn't aware we have brown and white body fat.