GoaD on the Run - Monday 10/24

Options
jbrack381us
jbrack381us Posts: 345 Member
This thread is for GOADies who like to run. New runners, old runners, and even wannabe runners meet here to discuss the joys and challenges of running. Use this space to log your miles, ask questions, share your race reports, or for anything else related to running.

New runners - and even those just thinking about starting out - are always welcome. There's no reason to lurk here. Join the pack and tell us about your running!

Oftentimes the GotR thread will pose a question or raise an issue in order to facilitate the conversation, but this is always an open forum to chat about any running-related topic.

Today's topic: Race fees - How much will you pay for a race, depending on distance? Do other factors matter? Have you ever had to pay for parking at a race?

Replies

• jbrack381us
    Options
    Curious to know all your thoughts. My DW is supposed to do a 5K on Saturday and paid the entry fee a while ago, but now they are saying you can pay for and pick up your $10 parking pass at packet pickup. That was not in the original stuff and seems odd to mention it as a oh, btw type thing a week before the race. I have never heard any of you talking about paying to park for a race?
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Anytime I've paid for parking it's been because I'm in an area where it's customary to pay for parking (i.e. a downtown, or at the state fair). I don't recall parking arrangements ever being part of the services organized by a race organization. Is it an option in your DW's race, @jbrack381us, or something that runners must purchase above and beyond the entry fee? If it's an option for guaranteed up-close parking -- or something to that effect -- it would make more sense than sneaking an extra cost in as an "oh btw."

I stay away from races with high entry fees unless there's some compelling reason. I'm not the target audience for 5Ks and 10Ks with finishers medals and tech shirts/jackets. My upcoming half in Key West is a pricey one for me, but you kind of have to buy into that when the destination is the thing.
  • jbrack381us
    Options
    @Calvin2008Brian The location is a tourist attraction in Nashville. But I cannot see where they charge for parking normally. And it appears to be everyone pays $10 to park.

The bed won this morning and I am now looking at trying to squeeze in 2 mi. tomorrow night. Just gotta build back what I lost by not running for two weeks.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    The only time I ever paid to park for a race was when it was a race in downtown Chicago. That seems very odd for them to add this fee at this stage of the game.

As for race fees, I won't pay anything north of $100 for a race and it better be a really long race to justify that (marathon, 50K). I think the most I've paid recently is $85 for the Northface trail marathon and I got in on their early bird pricing. For a 1/2 marathon, my upper limit is around $60.

I like to do a lot of the smaller trail races in Wisconsin and many of them only cost $35 or $40.
  • nick197785
    nick197785 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Great QOTD! My running club friends & I have been concerned with rising race fees. A couple of weeks ago, the 10K we did charged $50 for "day of" registration. To us, that seemed too high. I consider the cost per mile, the amenities (i.e. free beer?), and if it is for a charitable cause.
  • lilybbbbb
    lilybbbbb Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    This morning: C25K, Week One, Day One. Done.

Glad I came here and saw the topics about race reg, etc. Reminding me to go check volunteer/course marshal opps for upcoming marathon/half/8k here since I'm in no condition to actually participate, and therefore don't want to pay :)
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Options
    Hello, @lilybbbbb!
  • lilybbbbb
    Options
    Hello, @lilybbbbb!

heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!
  • gadgetgirlIL
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @lilybbbbb - Nice to see you!!

Another thing regarding race fees, one of the organizations that does some of my Wisconsin runs will give you a free race entry to a future race if you volunteer. My running buddy, who lives up there, takes advantage of this all the time.

Some races I have done will give you a discount if you pass on the t-shirt. Since I have a closet full of shirts, I will often take the small discount.
  • StuartPW
    StuartPW Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I think the most I have ever paid for a race is under $35. I am not a big fan of the boutique races that can charge upwards of $100. But if there is a big fancy metal at the end, that does push the buttons for me.
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Options
    If today is 10/27, then I'm scheduled to run 3 miles. I'm doing well with following my schedule for the running, but not at all well with cross-training. I blame the MLB playoffs and World Series. ;-)

One more week of base building then I start working in some tempo runs and speed work. So far, so good.

Happy running!
  • jbrack381us
    Options
    2-ish mi on Tuesday night. Looking at 2.5 mi or a little more tonight. DW bought me a little head lamp for $1 and that provides enough light that I can really see where I am running in the dark places at the apartment complex.

Regarding race fees, I do consider if it is going to a charitable cause or not. Right now, most of the 5Ks around here are $30-40 depending on when you register. Anything higher than that and I would have to be in really good shape to make that worthwhile. I am only at the point where I am confident that I can beat the 60 min time limit.

I do like the idea of volunteering for races and getting free race entries as trade in kind.

@lilybbbbb - Good to see you on here!
  • gadgetgirlIL
    Options
    35 min of treadmill run/walk today! I'm recovering more quickly than hoped from my eye procedure. Probably helped that I spent nearly all of Monday and Tuesday sleeping and resting my eye. And staying on top of the pain meds. I initially tried to get by with ibuprofen last time. Big mistake.
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Options
    @jbrack381us I'm possibly going to be using my headlamp today too. First time in a long time if I do. I did a TM run Tues to avoid the cold, dark, wet. Getting to be such a wuss!

@gadgetgirlIL Good to hear about your recovery!
  • lilybbbbb
    Options
    Thursday, 10/27
    C25K Week One, Day Two. Check!

This is the most consistent running I've done in over a year.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    Options
    WTG @lilybbbbb! keep that momentum going