Hemsley and Hemsley

Options
Shadowmf023
Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
Hemsley & Hemsley Healthy and Delicious is a show on BBC that I've watched a few times. I find their way of eating kind of appealing.

I'm not sure if I'd call it low carb (well at least not keto level like I eat now lol), because they do encourage lots of fruit and veg, and also occasional grains like quinoa (which they 'activate' by soaking overnight, to make digestion easier). They seem to be more about easily-digestible, close to nature foods.

I'm interested in hearing what you all make of it or think of it? Do you think it would fit the description of low carb or a lower carb WOE?

http://www.hemsleyandhemsley.com/

Note - Not promoting anything on the website - I'm just adding it as a link so you all can go read and check out their recipes for yourselves.

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,955 Member
    Options
    okie dokie. :smile: Reading...
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,955 Member
    Options
    Looks a lot like slow-carb. @Sabine_Stroehm, whutcha think?
    It also looks a bit like it's mostly paleo.
    Some of those recipes look pretty yummy though.
    I strive for nutrient density myself. But I try to keep it at 100gish. I think I'll bookmark it and look around more.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    That beet root spaghetti is so pretty.. I bet if you added zucchini noodles it would bring the carb count down a bit per serving.

When I'm in maintenance I'll start adding in slightly higher carby foods, then switch to keto if my weight starts coming back on. Or maybe just have some days as slightly higher carby days. I haven't decided yet.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    Looks a lot like slow-carb. @Sabine_Stroehm, whutcha think?
    It also looks a bit like it's mostly paleo.
    Some of those recipes look pretty yummy though.
    I strive for nutrient density myself. But I try to keep it at 100gish. I think I'll bookmark it and look around more.

It's definitely a keeper!
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I looked around and it really appealed to me. That's how I hope to be able to eat once in maintenance.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    It does look pretty slow carb. It looks a lot like how I eat, in fact! Thanks for tagging me Baconslave!
  • Shadowmf023
    Options
    I might try switching to slow carb then - I'm eating at maintenance until December - might as well. With all the fatigue I've been having I'm especially interested in the nutrient density of their recipes. It allows for A LOT more fruit and veg than keto.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I'm bumping this, 'cause it looks beautiful to me (I'm a sucker for great photography) and the food sounds good too. Not far off what I was eating before I got sick & gained weight.
  • Shadowmf023
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    I'm bumping this, 'cause it looks beautiful to me (I'm a sucker for great photography) and the food sounds good too. Not far off what I was eating before I got sick & gained weight.

I'm trying to eat their way and I must say my gym performance has increased significantly within a few days. Not surprising because of the extra carbs, of course. I'm not too hungry either. (Well, not more than usual, they're still into natural fats)

On their show the other night they made a "cheesecake" made from avocado... I wanna try that. :tongue:
  • canadjineh
    Options
    On their show the other night they made a "cheesecake" made from avocado... I wanna try that. :tongue:

I've made a chocolate avocado pudding/mousse with unsweetened cocoa and a bit of stevia for a little dinner party I had, with a vegan friend invited. You do need to make it pretty heavy on the chocolate though to cover the avocado flavour. I like avocado, but not everyone does (amazingly, lol). It was very rich and a little bit in a fancy wine glass with a couple of perfect raspberries on top was more than enough with our good black coffee after dinner.

• Shadowmf023
    Options

I've made a chocolate avocado pudding/mousse with unsweetened cocoa and a bit of stevia for a little dinner party I had, with a vegan friend invited. You do need to make it pretty heavy on the chocolate though to cover the avocado flavour. I like avocado, but not everyone does (amazingly, lol). It was very rich and a little bit in a fancy wine glass with a couple of perfect raspberries on top was more than enough with our good black coffee after dinner.

As far as I can remember, they didn't put any chocolate inside the actual filling. They added coconut oil, and honey I believe, and I can't remember what else. They only added chocolate shavings on top. The base was - among other things - pecans and coconut oil also.
  • Shadowmf023
    Options
    That said - I've made a green smoothie with avocado before... Just one tablespoon of cocao powder was enough to mask the taste completely. It's such a strong flavour compared to avocado.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    That said - I've made a green smoothie with avocado before... Just one tablespoon of cocao powder was enough to mask the taste completely. It's such a strong flavour compared to avocado.

I'd have to agree. In my experience avacado is bland enough to where it's easy to hide, unless one is specifically looking for it. It's obvious in that case, but otherwise barely noticeable.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    How much avocado was in your smoothie though? What other ingredients? I find avocado has a lot of flavour, but maybe it's just me... All that was in mine was 3 avocados, 1/3 c unsweetened cocoa powder, stevia (only a teeny so it isn't too sweet with aftertaste), a tsp lemon juice, 2 tsp vanilla extract, salt, and water to consistency desired.
  • Shadowmf023
    Options
    How much avocado was in your smoothie though? What other ingredients? I find avocado has a lot of flavour, but maybe it's just me... All that was in mine was 3 avocados, 1/3 c unsweetened cocoa powder, stevia (only a teeny so it isn't too sweet with aftertaste), a tsp lemon juice, 2 tsp vanilla extract, salt, and water to consistency desired.

1 cup spinach
    Half avocado
    1 tablespoon cocoa powder
    1 scoop chocolate whey protein
    Chia seeds
    Some milk/water (depending on calories/carbs)

Occationally I add berries too. And yeah some sweetener. :smile:
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    So both the smoothie and pudding recipe used the same ratio of cocoa to avocado. :) Good to know...this recipe really appeals to me!