Options
Zoeyzoo81
Zoeyzoo81 Posts: 3 Member
Hi everyone. I am so glad that there's a ketogenic group here. Hoping I can get some ideas about different aspects. I don't seem to get enough fat in my daily diet. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Newmomma1983
    Newmomma1983 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am on day 60 so still relatively new to this diet. I'm down 19 lbs so far. For fat I take mct oil 2 or 3 times per day, add butter to most cooked veggies and meats, lots of eggs and bacon (3x/week maybe), avocado a couple times per week, cheese and also use coconut oil to cook.
  • Zoeyzoo81
    Zoeyzoo81 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What is mct? I use coconut oil, butter and eat avocados. I also use Heavy Cream and sugar free torani syrup in my coffee. But when you look at the fats each day, it doesn't even come close to what the macros say it should be. Maybe I need to bump up on the cheese and bacon - LOL YUM! :#
  • CdnLee
    CdnLee Posts: 14 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Hi - I just started 3 days ago on the keto diet, and hope to get the results I keep reading about. I am looking for good dessert options. I've only found fat free jello so far, and a tsp of raw peanut butter.
  • jaimebruckler
    jaimebruckler Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Hello all! Complete newbie here as I just started my Keto journey one week ago tomorrow. I'm still learning and adjusting my but so far I'm loving this plan! I'd love a few new Keto Buddies too so feel free to add or message me. :)
  • priyasoni7684
    priyasoni7684 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello all , I am a newbie to keto , started today ... I am inspired by all the success stories that I saw on this group ... Hope I can leverage all the guidance from first hand experiences .... I am familiar with mfp and it had helped me in the past to track n lose weight (4yrs back) ... But this time around I am struggling . I have set the macros in mfp based on the keto calculator available and with 20% deficit my recommended caloric intake is coming to be 1176 which is less that usual 1200 that mfp had ... Is this ok ?? Or I am missing something here
  • sisisisepuede
    sisisisepuede Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    hi everyone! I'm pretty new to this ketogenic diet too! I did it for a month in August and so awesome results-- after falling of the bandwagon (damn you ice cream and boyfriend who buys pizza) I'm getting back on full force!

For those who are just starting, one thing that worked really well for me when I did it before was doing a "kitchen cleanout"....it's rough, but you basically throw away (I donated/gave food to my neighbors) any food that isn't keto friendly...all of your stashes, even pancake mix that I thought I'd never use anyway-- trust me, in the low points, you will find whatever you left behind!

Excited for this group! Just ordered my "keto strips" today! It sounds a lil gross, but it holds you accountable to know that you're actually in ketosis! https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=keto+strips&tbm=shop

• jpmcbride
    jpmcbride Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! This is day 2 for me and BREAD is my enemy!! Going well so far. Not a coffee drinker but tried the Bullet Proof Coffee for the 1st time this morning and it was DELICIOUS!! I am a desk worker which means I'm a snacker ~ I am making an honest effort to listen to my body to see if I'm actually hungry or THIRSTY! My goal is to drink at least 3 liters of water a day on this 14 day "experiment" to see if I yield any results. I'm in a Facebook group called Ketogenic Success where they recommend for ladies to consume 0-20 grams of carbs, 50-60 grams of protein and 100-120 grams of fats per day. Yesterday was very easy for me. Today started off well! I also workout 2-3 times per week (heavy cardio) so I am a little concerned to see how this is going to work, I also try to get a minimum of 20,000 fitbit steps a day. Best wishes to everyone! Looking to learn from everyone!!
  • priyasoni7684
    Options
    I am addicted to sweet coffee and tea and with Keto I am trying to avoid sugar and substitutes all together . It's Day 2 of my Keto journey and I am craving a good coffee(sweet) .... Sitting at office and staring the computer screen is adding to difficulty .... Do you guys use any sugar substitutes (stevia etc) when on Keto.
    Any tips and advices
  • jpmcbride
    Options
    @Priyasoni7684 I tried the stevia packet this morning and it was ok to me. Being that I'm not a coffee drinker I'm not sure what taste I'm looking for lol, I would definitely try it again, taste wasn't bad at all. I also don't like to use artificial sweeteners but needed it with the BPC.
  • priyasoni7684
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Day 3 ... Going ok so far ..... I experienced bit dizziness here and there ... But I guess that ok for beginners .... I am not feeling as hungry as I used to , while trying to lose weight with normal carb diet .. It's a good +ve sign ....motivated to give it a good try for few weeks ....
    Confessions : I am missing eating fresh fruits ... I was regular with 1-2 serving of fresh seasonal fruits daily as snack ...

How are you guys holding up ....
  • stlslayerac
    stlslayerac Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've been doing keto so long now the cravings are gone. Instead I crave keto food. Day 3 is an amazing job! Remember the first week or two could be accompanied by the keto flu which honestly is just a lack of necessary electrolytes. Drink some beef broth it should help. People don't know all the effects of carbs such as major water retention. You will lose a lot of water weight in the first week. You might also feel "cloudy" its because your brain is adjusting to ketones as fuel. Now there are many studies that suggest our brains work more efficiently with ketones. I promise you adjusting is the hardest part. After 2 weeks you will notice your stomach doesn't growl even if its been 8 hours since your last meal. The body is amazing at adjusting.
  • Jess05071981
    Jess05071981 Posts: 44 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Hello, I am new to the Keto way. Feeling a bit lost but trying to get as much education as possible.
  • CaliDollFace
    CaliDollFace Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, I'm new as well. I'm on day 5. (Wow, already!)

I think I'm doing OK, but I don't know for sure. I went up two pounds after a couple of days. That's disheartning, but maybe it's just water or food. I've been good with keto, but not great. For example, I had a low-carb salad (bagged salad) for three of the days, but the salad had tortilla strip crunchies. I'm not sure if that little bit of simple carbs (That is the bad kind, right?) will throw me completely off?

Also, I don't think I have the right balance of fat/protein. These past 5 days, I've been between fluctuating between 60-80 grams for fat and protein (80 of fat and 80 of protein).
  • sisisisepuede
    Options
    I'm finishing up day 3- feeling good and down about 3 pounds! My biggest hurdle- I'm pescatarian (a vegetarian who cheats by eating fish). It's been tough to get enough protein actually- almost always hit or go over my fat limit since I eat nuts and seeds (love Brazil nuts!). The other thing is my carb count creeps up so quickly! I had 37 carbs yesterday and the biggest culprit was nuts and seeds! Crazy...
    Any other vegetarians/fish-only peeps out there?
  • priyasoni7684
    Options
    I am on day 4 and eat just chicken,eggs and fish... My carb count is lingering on ~25g but the issue I have is I am already kinda fed up with chicken ... Eggs are good but my protein had been high all days ... My appetite is going low and feel bloated and heavy ...thought of adding butter to inc carb is killing me already
  • sisisisepuede
    Options
    I am on day 4 and eat just chicken,eggs and fish... My carb count is lingering on ~25g but the issue I have is I am already kinda fed up with chicken ... Eggs are good but my protein had been high all days ... My appetite is going low and feel bloated and heavy ...thought of adding butter to inc carb is killing me already

I hear you on getting sick of the same foods...some ways I mix things up when I'm going crazy:
    -sardines (great source of fat and protein- zero carbs)
    -hemp seeds/hemp hearts (add to boring salads to liven them up a bit)
    -full fat cheese (as a small snack- has more carbs but good when you're craving other food and just have a little)
    -Lilly's sugar free dark chocolate (has no sugar - uses erythritol and stevia- and does have carbs, but not nearly as bad as regular dark chocolate...I usually share with someone so I don't get out of hand and keep my carbs within range)
    -add coconut oil to protein shakes-- actually creates these fun little balls of coconut flavor when you add ice to a shake...this is what makes life exciting now, sadly...

I wonder if drinking more water would help with the bloating?
  • jpmcbride
    Options
    Day 6 and I am down 7.2 lbs. Tested for Ketosis yesterday and I'm there! First time trying Keto diet and seems to be going well. I am sharing my diary if you care to take a look. The Bullet Proof Coffee will remain a staple for my breakfast from now on!! Best wishes to all! pn5saqjl3sq9.jpg
  • bluebent
    bluebent Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I did Keto this time last year and lost 20 lbs in five weeks! I'm trying it again and am on day 3. I'm not weighing myself because I find the scale is my enemy. If I find I'm down a few pounds, I feel like I can be lax and eat junk food to celebrate. If I'm up a few pounds it feels awful and then I have to eat junk to feel better. lol. Anyway, I haven't weighed myself in many months and don't plan to until I notice big changes in the way my clothes fit.

The bullet proof coffee is helpful but I get sick of it after a week or so. (I make it with 1TBSP butter, ITBSP coconut oil and 1TBSP MCT oil. Sometimes I'll make a shake for lunch with 3/4 cup frozen berries, 2 cups spinach, 1 tsp flax meal, 2 tblsp MCT oil and a few drops of stevia. I find adding MCT oil whenever I can helps me meet the fat macros. For treats or snacks I try to have some fat bombs on hand in the freezer or individual sized portions of Keto Fluff (google the recipe. It's great! I'll usually add a little coconut, a couple of chopped pecans and a few blueberries or raspberries on top. YUMMY!)
  • sisisisepuede
    Options
    So true about the scale!!! I think I need to stop weighing myself so much- it dictates my mood and my day, and I don't need the scale to know if I'm eating well or not. Best of luck to you! Will have to try some of your food ideas!
  • sikanos07
    sikanos07 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am new to the keto way as well. I am starting my third day today. I used a ketostick last night which was the ending of my second day and I was already at the "Moderate" level shade. That felt good to know that I went into ketosis fairly quickly. I have lost 3.8lbs so far, which I understand is water weight right now. I am consuming water like it is my job and drinking a glass of chicken bouillon broth whenever I get a very intense headache or feel brain fog, it seems to help. Surprisingly, so far I have not felt an immense craving for carbs or sweets and I previously (just a few days ago) ate the those like they were going out of style. I hope that the cravings continue to be held off because that is where I lose control is when I am focusing and thinking too much about the food I want. I have not started an exercise regiment yet, as I am feeling pretty fatigued right now which I know will pass. I am very excited to continue the keto diet and to adopt this as my new lifestyle. I enjoy fruits very much, any fruit really, but it seems that fruits are frowned upon with this diet. Are there any that are acceptable with this diet?

I am so glad to have found this group and restarted on the Myfitness pal site! I really want to become a healthier, happier, leaner version of myself again!