bouilion cubes vs bone broth

Options
kennygang
kennygang Posts: 93 Member
I have been doing a lot of reading regarding IF. I have read that bouillon cubes are no good because they have artificial flavors and additives. It is best to make bone broth. I was just wondering what everyone has been doing and what are their thoughts. I usually have cup of broth 2x day and I find it really helps add the sodium and kills the hunger craving when doing IF. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I think that like anything, it is a personal choice, convenience, and taste. If broth from cubes keeps you on track, go for it. But there are many other nutritional benefits to bone broth. So I would probably work some in whenever you can. Others (@Sunny_Bunny_) will have better suggestions on how to make it, but you can also buy it at some healthier stores that carry more organics and natural products.
  • CinderellaDaisy
    CinderellaDaisy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I make a lot of broth and freeze the extras so I always have some on hand. If it's the sodium your like about the cubes you can always salt your broth. Broth has so many health benefits when cooked for a long time so the bones are soft. But as the pp said it is a personal choice of what works for you.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Bone broth is such a chore to make. I did it once, and probably never again. I didn't have cheesecloth (not sure where to even get that stuff, except maybe online), so it ended up just being a mess with too many inedible pieces. The only thing I can think of is that I could possibly boil until everything is used up and then strain it through a fine mesh strainer (which I didn't have at that time, but I do now). Now that I think about it, I might try that with turkey bones after Thanksgiving.
  • 40DayFit
    40DayFit Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I wonder what the current fascination is with "bone broth" specifically. I suppose it's due to a consumer marketplace that sells us boneless, fat--trimmed meat, muscle specifically, cut into requisite parts. Without bones in your meat, it's hard to get the full nutrients that we once enjoyed with traditional stocks. What I mean is, a traditional chicken stock involves a whole chicken, cut up, immersed in stock pot w/vegetables & herbs of choice, and slow-simmered until done. And for our elders, "done" usually meant hours on the back burner, maybe even overnight. Sometimes they'd add in mixed animal sources, so a pig's foot + chicken backs + meaty beef knuckle or back ribs.

There's no need to use "only" bone when making a mineral-rich broth. And depending on where you live, you can find traditional cuts like beef knuckle, marrow bones, chicken feet, oxtail, chicken backs, pigs feet, etc. that are redolent with connective tissue, fat, meat, and of course bone.

For me, even a coarse strainer will separate the meat & bones & twigs from herbs, leaving me a broth I'm glad to sip on without fear of abrasive bone particulates.
  • 40DayFit
    40DayFit Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    As you might guess, I'm a big fan of homemade broth and would much rather that than store-bought. At home, I can control the flavor & content, and add my own salt and potassium chloride salt alternative.

That said, I did some careful shopping in the "bullion" section of the store last week, looking for something to help me when I was on a long weekend away. There's so many products with MSG or hydrogenated fats or added sugars. I was in the aisle for at least 15 minutes. I settled on Herb Ox sodium-free granulated beef bullion (comes in powder-containing packets). Not at all ideal bc. it definitely has sugar, concentrated glutamate, & maltodextrin. BUT the seasoning is based on potassium chloride, which allowed me to add salt to my food and sip this broth (I added a butter packet from the hotel) to get the electrolyte action I needed. 1 packet = 2 carbs, which I could live with given how carefully I'm tracking my total food intake (max 20 net carbs). The cubes all had hydrogenated fats, MSG, and sugar.