I'm not that keen on veggies......

Options
btrsun10
btrsun10 Posts: 37 Member
I just don't really like veggies except sugar snap peas. I can tolerate broccoli and some spinach but to be honest I find those two pretty tasteless. I like sweet peppers but am trying to limit them because of the sugar content. I also like cherry tomatoes but again try to limit them but do like them in a homemade tomatoey based sauce.
So my question is, can I be successful with low carbing without them?
I typically have coffee with HWC, bacon and eggs or cheese and bacon omelette in the mornings. A chilli with 'some' kidney beans with cheese and half an avocado for lunch and then in the evenings a steak or chicken or fish with some sugar snaps.
I'm finding tho that I'm normally not really hungry enough in the evenings to eat a full meal. This way of eating has me so filled up that I normally just graze on some cheese, pickles, salami and maybe nuts to get me to my calorie goal (which is hard!).
I'm staying under my calorie goal - I weigh and measure every morsel meticulously, heavy lift 3 times a week for an hour and brisk walking (4.5mph) at least 4 times a week for an hour.
My macros are set to 10C/25P/65F and I mostly hit that.
The last couple of weeks have been slow weight wise so I've decided to weigh only once a month. Clothes feel slightly (and I mean slightly!) looser but I'm not really seeing the results I was hoping for.
Is it possible for me to lose eating all this cheese and cream? I know from all my research that it is but after all these years of having it drummed into us that its bad, its hard to get out of that mind set!
Any pointers, advice or just kicks up the *kitten* very much appreciated.
Diary is open btw.
Thanks! :)

Replies

• btrsun10
    Options
    Sorry should have said.....
    Female, 45 yrs old, 157 lbs, 5ft 5", cals set to 1650 per day.
    Thanks!
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Ok I took a look at your diary for a couple of weeks. Seems pretty darned good. Only thing I'd suggest is to weigh your eggs. Just using "Large" can mean you aren't getting the calorie count right on that.

What I did notice is that from October 21 and before, your calories were set to 1500. After that day it is set to 1650. That's a decent jump adding in over 1000 calories in a week. Before that it looks like you were kind of all over the place on calorie goal.

Are you setting your calorie goal or are you letting MFP set that goal? These may be the reasons you aren't seeing good results like you had hoped. You should plug your stats into MFP along with your activity level and let it tell you what calories you should be at and do that for at least a month.

And yup. Very possible for you to lose weight with the cream and cheese and bacon and fat!! Calories still do apply though. I get you on this! I had trouble with this when I first started too. It's hard to break the "low fat" that's been beat into our heads. And I don't think veggies or no veggies is a problem. There's a few on here who eat strictly meat. Hopefully they will chime in and help because I'm a veggie hound so don't know much about not eating them at all.

Hope this helps and welcome!!
  • btrsun10
    Options
    Thanks so much for taking the time to reply and look at my diary. Yes you are right, I have increased my calories. The guy I train with advised that on my activity levels (the ones I outlined above are minimum levels) and based on my TDEE, that I should try and increase the cals. In fact he wanted me higher than 1650 and its been a struggle for me to even get to there. I am kinda in a agreement with him tho, he's been there, lost the weight, kept it off, opened his own gym and 'seems' to know what hes talking about. He feels that its not necessary for me to cut too much as if I hit a plateau, then where do I go if im eating way low? Also, when I get to maintenance, I want to be able to live and not have to survive on 1200 cals or something...... :/
  • Catawampous
    Options
    Ok, understand. If you are going by what he's telling you then that makes sense and keep doing it as long as you trust him. He who can eat the most and still lose wins!! So I totally get that. I'd give it another month then and trust the process. Lifting and new exercise will also cause your muscles to hold on to water weight for repairs also so it may be that.
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Why eat if you're not hungry? If you're struggling to pack in that many calories, I would say don't bother. If you eat 1400-1500 calories a day (or fewer), have plenty of energy, and are healthy, then keep on eating that many calories. Most likely you will have days when you are hungrier, and will want more calories. On the hungry days, eat more.

Listen to your body. It is wise, and knows what it needs. :smile:
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Eating additional veggies isn't necessary but, just from your diary, have to ask if you're drinking enough in terms of liquids?
    You could try for increasing the amount of water you drink or add additional hot beverages within your macros, the extra liquids could help bump up your weight loss.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I'm with the thought of not eating when you're not hungry. Your body is not asking for food. Why provide it? If it needed you to provide outside energy it would be signaling with hunger.
    The answer to why you haven't lost more weight is right there... plus it is also true that starting new exercise can also slow weight loss... but if you have plenty to lose, it shouldn't last long as long as you don't eat when your body isn't hungry.
  • Catawampous
    Options
    ^^ While I like that answer. It wouldn't work for me :( ... at least YET. I've overidden my body so much by eating when not hungry that I don't know my own signals any more and a lot of "hunger" is in my head. If I did this, I'd be right back to where I was or worse yet, barely eating anything. I'm hoping the better I get at this the more I can trust myself.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    btrsun10 wrote: »
    In fact he wanted me higher than 1650 and its been a struggle for me to even get to there. I am kinda in a agreement with him tho, he's been there, lost the weight, kept it off, opened his own gym and 'seems' to know what hes talking about. He feels that its not necessary for me to cut too much as if I hit a plateau, then where do I go if im eating way low? Also, when I get to maintenance, I want to be able to live and not have to survive on 1200 cals or something...... :/

This^^ in bold. I glanced at your diary. I'd give what you trainer says a chance. Evaluate and tweak if needed. Your calories aren't currently far off from his suggested 1650. I'm one who believes in things like CICO, TDEE calculators, etc because I understand they are GUIDELINES. A PLACE TO START. Every BODY is different and you have not mentioned any medical conditions/diseases/disorders that interfere with/redefine parameters of weight loss so the "averages" are a reasonable place to start. Unless someone is strapped to a bunch of wires monitoring heart, breathing, changes in hormones, etc 24/7...CICO, TDEE, etc are guideline/estimates. The CI (calories in) is probably easier to gauge than the CO (calories out). All bodily functions are involved in CO/TDEE. Exercise is the only SOMEwhat possible part of CO to gauge and the "estimates" from calculators and gadgets are "all over the place".

You have a plan in place. Give it a couple months and test it.

I wouldn't worry about averaging a bit under the 1650 given your stats. My concern is anything that is EXCESSIVE. I frequently see folks stating, "I'm not hungry" and the response is "there is no reason to eat if you are not hungry. Don't force feed yourself". The problem with that "blanket advice" is when someone follows the advice so reduces their calories from their already very low calorie diet (700 calories as an example) to an even lower calorie diet. Day in and day out. I don't even object to a very low day...but a very low day every day? No. Just no. No one should be starving themselves to lose weight. A body needs fuel (calories) for heat regulation, heart beats, blood pressure, movement, hair growth. EVERYTHING.

Your food diary doesn't indicate you are being excessive. Carry on with your program. Give it time and remember the part in bold above.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I would agree with earlier responses with one addition. If you are not hungry in the evening, I would suggest you look into IF. I have changed to a 16/8 schedule only eating between 11 am and 7 pm. Having 16 hours of fasting a day helps get your body adapted to burning its own fat, so if weight loss is your objective, that can be helpful. I have also experimented with flipping my timing to only eat breakfast and lunch which worked well in terms of helping with my BG readings and with not feeling hungry at all - ever. The only problem with changing to that is the convenience factor since it really hinders things like taking my wife out for a nice dinner.
  • kpk54
    Options
    Oh and to answer your question regarding vegetables and "can I be successful without them", it seems some people are successful in meeting their personal goal with no or very few vegetable.

I continue to eat them because I like them but eat far fewer than any time previously. I feel fine. I'm maintaining my loss, my clothes still fit and I eat 75% fat. From that perspective I claim success. I'll go to the doc sometime in 2017 for a routine check-up and have some common/standard tests done then evaluate other parameters of "success" with keto.
  • btrsun10
    Options
    Thank you all so much for taking the time to read and answer, I really appreciate it.
    To answer a couple of questions, I have no health problems, take no medication and am pretty healthy it seems. On my last visit to docs I was asked if I'm an athlete as my resting heart rate is so low :p
    Also, the exercise is not new. I've been lifting weights 3 times a week for the last 4 years and have run 3 half marathons since June. I have always walked regularly as it's a chance to catch up with my friends.....more of a social thing than anything (although we walk at a quick pace ;) ) So it's not as if my body is adapting to new exercise.
    Anyway, I've decided to try and keep my cals at an average of 1650 per day for 2 months (even if that does mean packing in a few more at the end of the day). I just can't bear the thought of having to adjust so far down in order to continue losing, that it is no longer sustainable. I'll see how that pans out and reevaluate then.
    On the veggie front, I had the most delicious dinner this evening. Chicken thighs with a tin of chopped tomato, garlic, yellow pepper, chorizo and mozzarella. With a large serving of sugar snap peas.....delicious but I am stuffed! Will manage so cheese and pickles later o:)
  • btrsun10
    Options
    And to finish me off, I've just had 30g peanut butter with 46g Wensleydale cheese with cranberries as a dessert. Omg.....what is not to like with this woe?!
  • Catawampous
    Options
    Ok you have me drooling and I just ate!
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Nearly 4 years eating Keto for me. You don't need vegetables. I only eat them sometimes, and only a small amount of broccoli/cauliflower/mushrooms/zucchini.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Although I like both fruits and vegetables, my mindset over the past 2 years has evolved to the point where I no longer worry if I don't get them on a daily basis. My body is happy and so am I.
  • kpk54
    Options
    My husband is great evidence that vegetables (and fruit) don't seem too critical for good health. Well potatoes. He's happy with meat and potatoes and puts a little speck of something green on his plate. He's been doing that for the 28 years I've known him and is as thin as can be with no effort.