Ketogenic on a tight budget

Options
Ketogenic on a tight budget?

I am trying to stick to ketogenic for cancer . It really stresses organic meats, eggs, veggies, no process meats. Balancing that with family needs. Eggs have become my friend. But how do you balance or keep your food budget in control ? Menu ideas?

Liz
Idaho

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I can't afford organic or grass fed meats, so I don't buy it. I'm not fighting any disease though. I don't know if I would feel those things are more important or not if I were. But I do know that I believe a ketogenic diet is best for fighting cancer and if I could only do it with cheap meats, then I would do it anyway as opposed to not doing it.
    It's not like I would buy grass fed and organic meat if I weren't eating keto... so it's really no more expensive than a standard diet.
    Since the cancer fighting keto diet is more limiting of protein and a very high fat ratio, it's probably the cheapest type of keto diet if you think about it.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I can't add anything more than what @Sunny_Bunny_ said. I'm exactly in the same boat and mindset as she.

• Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I am the same. I buy what's on sale and what we can afford. Often times my diary looks relatively the same for a couple weeks because what I have is what was on sale at the time. Then it shifts to different on sale stuff LOL. When I do have a little extra I like to buy organic chicken breasts because to me, they taste SO much better. But that is few and far between and veggies are always just regular ones from the grocery store.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I second the agreeing with Sunny. It's better to do it than not do it. I know dark meat is way cheaper than white, maybe even cage free?? I'm not sure. I wish you healing, friend.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I am broke as all get out, and sometimes I have no idea how I manage what I do...lots of juggling, and remembering which things are a MUST on the priority list.

I find that if you watch the sales (even before I moved out of my ridiculously small town), you can find different deals different places. One of the lowest cost bang for the buck things I've yet to embrace again are sardines... I think I would focus on any organic items where pesticides or toxins would be a huge issue. I know there are articles out there that say which things collected the worst of it. I know strawberries are one huge toxin hold. I really need to buy organic ones the next time I get some. I was getting frozen organic ones, but my store dropped that brand. But I love fresh ones.

I would focus on making the best choices you can, and let the rest go. I'm sure there are some resources out there that tell you when doing ketogenic diet for cancer, which "organics" are the most important. Might take some deep googling, but I bet there is SOME info out there. Adding stress to yourself about not affording organics is something I would avoid at all costs. Stress is a your enemy at this point. (hugs)
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Eggs are about the most budget friendly food option out there - keto or not. The organic/grass fed meats can get pricey. I don't really know what the benefit is of grass fed given it makes the meat much leaner. If you want higher fat intake, that seems counter intuitive. Nearly all the meat I buy is on sale. I find pork chops are a great option as I can usually find some with a nice trim of fat around them and when they go on sale in the "value" packs, I buy as much as I can and freeze what I can't eat right away.

Pork chops are also very versatile. I usually take some of them and dice up the uncooked meat and use it in an egg/pork/cheese scramble. I also use HWC for the scrambled egg part.

They can be fried up in butter with some garlic powder, then use the butter/garlic mix to cook up some spinach to go with it while the meat rests since that just takes a couple minutes and pour it all over the pork. I will sometimes "bread" the pork chop with pork rinds, but if you are trying to stay away from processed meat, that may not be a good option. You could either skip that, or use almond flour or even crushed almonds/walnuts/pecans. All three of those nuts have low net carbs and high fat.

The options are plentiful for pork, IMO. Given it is typically much cheaper than beef, that makes it a much more budget friendly option also.
  • Elizabeth2360
    Elizabeth2360 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I think if I understand from what I am reading the reasoning for organic grass fed beef, chicken , free range eggs and veggies is to eat really clean get rid of the stuff that causes inflammation or swelling. I have been researching veggies if they have a peel like say zucchini if you peel them it doesn't matter as much? Bananas which I don't eat of course be ok . But I am still studying it out.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I don't focus on organic/grass fed/free range, etc. Right or wrong. I have no "platform" for or against. I am highly frugal though. I study the weekly ad when it comes out on Wednesday. I have for years. I rarely buy anything if it is NOT on sale. I'm fortunate to have MANY grocery stores within a couple of miles of my house. I know that my "favorite" and closest store discounts their "dated" meat 30% around 10 AM. If it is not sold by 3 PM, they reduce it 50% around 3 PM. Yesterday I purchased 2 whole chickens that happened to be "free range/no added hormones" for 71 cents a pound. I prefer those little chickens because well...they're little. Plenty for 2 people for a few days. I roasted one for dinner last night. The carcass is on the stove for broth. The white meat (we prefer dark) is in the refrigerator for another meal...or 2. I eat way less on keto cuz calories add up from fat and...satiation.

I can't help but wonder about today's food "technology". Apples are HUGE today compared to yesteryear. I've not researched keto for cancer. There are a few here who have and would be a far better source. I've read here and there that cancer cells thrive on sugar. Keto cuts the sugar. Something for you to research.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Tip #1 - find out what day your local groceries mark the meats down if they don't sell - my local food lion marks them down around 7pm on Thursdays, if you ask they might tell you what time they use - this is a great way to get more natural meats at the price of regular meat (or less sometimes).

Tip #2 - if you have a freezer try getting animals straight from the organic or grass fed farms. I can get a pasture raised pig, the farm will deliver it to the slaughter house, I pick it up 2 days later already individually packaged and it's usually about $1.15-$1.50 per pound final cost. Beef usually runs me between $4.50 and $5 per pound. As a bonus I can see the farm and see what the animals are fed and how they are treated. However, you do not get to pick the cuts of meat so you have to get creative with menu planning. A lot of ground pork, and a lot of steaks in that option. The only chicken I was able to get came whole, so I had to do the deconstructing myself, it was a long night, but worth it in the end, and I made a huge stockpot of broth out of the junk parts. The chicken was almost as expensive per pound as the beef. Weird how that works, but still cheaper than buying it in the grocery at regular organic prices.
  • Elizabeth2360
    Elizabeth2360 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    You are correct from my reading cancer thrives on sugar. I am very serious about correcting my eating habits going on 2 and half weeks no sugar, breads, starches, whole grains. It was easier before surgery no problem no hunger. I am still doing it. Just after like yesterday some reason craving mashed potatoes. ☹️️ But I didn't go near them. I know this will pass too. I am on a group on Facebook. That is a support ketogenic for cancer. And I am starting one here, as a support group hoping to support and encourage be a safe ear.
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I'm on the keto WOE mostly for health reasons. Do you have 'farmer's markets' in your area or live near farmers? One farmer we connected with totally supports keto and tries to give discounts on her eggs and meat for those with serious health concerns who are on a tight budget.

A large freezer is a must. I can buy sale items and store it for later that way. Some of the places I buy from have membership deals where for a small membership fee I'm able to buy large quantities for a whole lot less. We get our eggs from a farmer and while their eggs aren't 'organic' they don't use GMOs or any other bad stuff and the birds are free range.

• emaline2210
    emaline2210 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I find it really difficult to find and afford grass fed meats. I find costco to be a good option for oorganic produce. I'll usually buy two items and work my meals around those. I'll supplement with smaller portions of items from other stores.

As far as meat, I find Safeway to have the best quality in my area. I buy when they have the stock up sales (buy one get two free) and then package them into smaller portions that will feed my family.

Organic whole chickens are probably the best bang for your buck if you want to stick to the clean meats. Costco has a two pack, and it's about 20 bucks. I can stretch a chicken to a lot of meals and make a hearty bone broth. They are just a leaner meat, so you'll have to eat a lot of fat with 'em.

Pork butts are a really economical way of making meat. I'll throw one in the crockpot on Sunday night with some seasoning and water, and let it cook til Monday afternoon. It melt in your mouth shreds. I freeze half and we eat off of it for practically every meal for a week.

I'm currently on a 250/ month food budget to feed 3 with varying diets. It can be done!
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    Ok here's what I know from my research, the only type of organic meat that matters is the super fatty ones. Toxins are in the fat, so the cleaner you can get your meat (organic) the better. This goes for full fat dairy too. If it's just chicken breast, then don't worry about it or a pork loin chop which is super lean, just cut off the fat. I personally can't afford it either but I do my best. I buy organic eggs at costco because it's cheap (2 dozen for $5.69), I can get grassfed ground beef (not organic) at Aldi for $5.50/lb. So it's just looking around and seeing what you can do.

As for veggies - yes look at the dirty dozen. Anything with a peel, just buy conventional. And again if you can't afford everything organic don't sweat it - just do your best. I think the most important ones are lettuce, celery and berries.

And don't forget you can get your fat through vegetable sources too like avocado, nuts and olive oil (costco sells a very reasonable organic olive oil). Most of my fat comes from these sources since I'm also dairy free :o

Just do the best you can, experiment along the way and you'll find your path :)
  • collegefbfan
    collegefbfan Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Not sure what stores you have available. I have to second the sardines idea. Also, eggs are very cheap at our Aldi's. Do you ever coupon? I do at Food Lion and some others. Also, some stores reduce meat near the expiration date. Wife and I have found great deals on chicken legs, thighs, lamb, rib-eyes (rarely though), etc. that are great buys when that expiration date is nearing. Also, we buy our steaks at Costco. We buy four huge rib-eyes for like almost $30. Then we cut the four in half to make 8 of them. Usually get about eight 7-8 ounce steaks out of that. That comes out to $3-$5 for an 8 ounce steak or thereabouts. Some stores have low prices on other cuts of red meat. Sirloin, beef chuck, etc. You have to cook it right though.
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Second all of the discussions above. In addition, I sometimes look to lower another item in the budget, say new clothing (buy in "gently used" stores) or rent a movie (no theatre going), buy "used books" ,etc. Then the savings from all of the above can go directly into my food budget which is a big help some months!
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    I buy on special offer or at end of the day for the special reduced meat and fish. I also buy in second hand stores for clothes. They often do really good stuff and eBay does bnwt (brand new with tags) clothes too.

Be inventive. I have found I throw away a lot less food on this WOE though. I plan and I use, as opposed to buy, use and realise food is about to go bad.
  • becwana
    becwana Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I find that my slow cooker (I think called a crock pot in US?) enables me to buy much cheaper cuts of meat - shoulder of lamb much cheaper then leg - pork belly instead of fillet - shin of beef - lamb neck etc.... so I can afford good quality but a cheaper cut. When cooked slowly is so tender. Plus those cuts tend to be fatty which is not a problem for Keto!
    On another note, I am sorry to hear of your illness and hope your health improves ❤️
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    We don't worry about "grass fed" or "organic" but meat quality in Australia is very good anyway. I find eating Keto very cheap, I'm not buying rubbish junk food and saving a heap. Plus you're not eating that much. This week I bought a tub of ricotta, and roasted a piece of beef. My lunch every day has been diced up roast beef with a generous spoon of ricotta (100g a day - 500g in a tub - easy). The whole lot cost me about $15 for 5 days. In winter I do the same with the slow cooker. Throw in some chicken thighs, cream, mushrooms, stock flavour, a bit of chili (or whatever flavours you want, sometimes I use green curry). Cook for a few hours, divide up into 5 containers, lunch done.

For dinner we eat very simply also. My partner cooks most days as he's home first. He's not keto (he eats sweets and chips and such) but he cooks Keto dinner. Often something like sausages or cheese kransky or some other form of meat, and some zucchini/mushroom/cauli/broccoli stir-fried in a little butter. Simple - cheap.
  • fatchimom
    fatchimom Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Definitely pork chops, butt, shoulder. Chicken thighs, bone in are a great option. Eggs, eggs, eggs. Cheap and easy to prepare. I too, cannot afford grass fed, organic, etc. Concerning inflammation, I find that it's the grains that cause it for me. My arthritis is so bad and my hands are very swollen when I eat grains. I am a carb addict but sugar is evil in so many ways so I'm trying to live without it.