Loving the LC WOE but one small complaint

Options
13»

Replies

• gdaydreamer
    gdaydreamer Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    oh Halloween is always a huge haul around here, and this year the kids are bringing a friend with them.... their friend doesn't really eat candy... so guess where she's leaving it lol yup even more sugar in the house. On the bright side the last time I had candy it tasted like ick, so hopefully it will sit on top of the fridge as quick sugars for my son :wink:
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Speaking of carbage fairies, we purposely haven't bought Halloween candy yet.

Then yesterday a package arrived for my husband from the company he works for filled with candy and other treats for Halloween. They've been whispering to me ever since.

A few possible options to heal the whispering:
    1. Freeze and drop in toilet tank for safekeeping
    2. Warm and place in litterbox
    3. Place in toaster and burn to a bloody crisp
    4. Mix with some other rat poison, or Drano,, then stir into growler of Clorox
    5. Melt with old candles and mothballs
    6. Grind them into your carpet with your heel
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I may be the father of the only 11 year old girl who doesn't really like candy. All her friends think she is odd because she doesn't want to go trick or treating. She wants to stay home and pass out the candy. She DOES like the dressing up part. If she could get other things (like pens, notebooks, book marks) going to door to door, she would be all over it. As it is, she sees no point in it for candy.
  • coloradoartstudio
    coloradoartstudio Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hahaha @RalfLott

I love Candy...yes, I just capitalized the word. I'm going to reward myself for good behavior by making a fathead pizza tonight. I told my husband to hide the candy and we'll dump it in the trick or treat bowl on Monday.

Kids that don't like candy are way ahead of the game! @gdaydreamer @cstehansen
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Hahaha @RalfLott

I love Candy...yes, I just capitalized the word. I'm going to reward myself for good behavior by making a fathead pizza tonight. I told my husband to hide the candy and we'll dump it in the trick or treat bowl on Monday.

Kids that don't like candy are way ahead of the game! @gdaydreamer @cstehansen

@coloradoartstudio -

Of course!

7. Wait till Oct 31 and give to kids.

(In which case, steps 1-6 may be omitted.)

• Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Or you could donate the candy to the local food bank or homeless shelter? A lot of people out there appreciates what we take for granted and would love a little treat.
  • fatchimom
    fatchimom Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    RowdysLady wrote: »
    my kids hate pork rinds too....totally weird, right? @cstehansen

@RowdysLady - I have to be careful of the smell when opening the bag (EDITED TO ADD: BAG OF PORK RINDS). It's kind of ... off-putting... but air it out? Then eat away, absolutely! LOL

Why do they smell like dirty locker room socks but taste so good?
  • CinderellaDaisy
    CinderellaDaisy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    I may be the father of the only 11 year old girl who doesn't really like candy. All her friends think she is odd because she doesn't want to go trick or treating. She wants to stay home and pass out the candy. She DOES like the dressing up part. If she could get other things (like pens, notebooks, book marks) going to door to door, she would be all over it. As it is, she sees no point in it for candy.

I have heard of people who trade their kids candy for a toy or a book that they want. Maybe your daughter would trade the candy for something she likes. Then you can donate it all.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »

I have heard of people who trade their kids candy for a toy or a book that they want. Maybe your daughter would trade the candy for something she likes. Then you can donate it all.

That's what we do. The kids keep 10 candies and trade in the rest for a toy or $10. No other option allowed.

It actually started when I was more worried about food sensitivities. My kids are gluten free (celiac in the house), and one is nut free and as dairy free as possible.... that didn't leave much so we started trading it in.
  • MiamiDawn
    MiamiDawn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Similar problems ... Hubby likes my expensive treats like Moon Cheese and Bacon's Heir pork rinds. He's money conscious so I all I had to do was tell him that the little pork rind bags are about 3 bucks a piece, so he now understands not to eat 4 bags in a sitting.
  • coloradoartstudio
    coloradoartstudio Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    One of my good friends used to trade candy for toys/craft items/experiences with her kids after Halloween when they were young years ago - she was a super crunchy, no sugar kind of mama.

At the time, my daughter would only drink milk with chocolate syrup in it and when my friend's kids would come over for a play date, her kids would drink chocolate milk like it was crack.
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    My son would leave his Halloween candy alone for months, same with Easter basket candy.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    One of my good friends used to trade candy for toys/craft items/experiences with her kids after Halloween when they were young years ago - she was a super crunchy, no sugar kind of mama.

At the time, my daughter would only drink milk with chocolate syrup in it and when my friend's kids would come over for a play date, her kids would drink chocolate milk like it was crack.

Interesting. My mom did not allow sweets much or any Carbage at all, really. All 4 of us cannot NOT eat all of a treat. They were rare and we would not get more than one chance at it because there was never much and there were many of us. I often wondered if in household were more treats were allowed, the scarcity behaviour might change to better control.
  • gdaydreamer
    gdaydreamer Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    My son has been a T1D since he was two. So Halloween, Easter, Christmas stockings etc, both kids get a piece or two a night (to keep things fair). There are never sugary breakfasts or snacks in the house. BUT I have the distinct feeling once they are on their own they are both going to break loose and eat themselves sick for about a week.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    @dasher602014 my kids have always had carby stuff around but they were always worried about it disappearing that they'd eat it up so the other wouldn't get it. When my youngest was between about 3 - 9 I could go into her room at any time and find where she'd been stealing, sneaking and hiding the evidence - candy wrappers tucked in drawers, snack cake wrappers hidden in boxes...on and on. So it was plentiful here yet they still ate with abandon.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »
    @dasher602014 my kids have always had carby stuff around but they were always worried about it disappearing that they'd eat it up so the other wouldn't get it. When my youngest was between about 3 - 9 I could go into her room at any time and find where she'd been stealing, sneaking and hiding the evidence - candy wrappers tucked in drawers, snack cake wrappers hidden in boxes...on and on. So it was plentiful here yet they still ate with abandon.

I guess, no matter what pattern, the tastebuds and other drives, know sugar and fat and seek it out, once a taste is established.