GoaD on the Run - Friday 10/28 - Weekend edition!

Options
jbrack381us
jbrack381us Posts: 345 Member
This thread is for GOADies who like to run. New runners, old runners, and even wannabe runners meet here to discuss the joys and challenges of running. Use this space to log your miles, ask questions, share your race reports, or for anything else related to running.

New runners - and even those just thinking about starting out - are always welcome. There's no reason to lurk here. Join the pack and tell us about your running!

Oftentimes the GotR thread will pose a question or raise an issue in order to facilitate the conversation, but this is always an open forum to chat about any running-related topic.

Today's topic: Working for the weekend? Do you run more/longer on the weekend days compared to the weekdays or just part of your plan? Do you tend to also try to bunch in additional training (on the weekend if you miss one during the week?

Replies

• Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I love my weekend long runs. Planning to up my social skills and run this weekend with my running club (for the first time since Apr or May). 6 miles on the schedule.

I won't deny squeezing in workouts to make up for ones missed earlier, but I don't do that as a matter of course. Better to let it go.

Have a great weekend, all!
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I certainly do work for my weekends! I simply can't devote the same amount of time on a weekday to either my running or bike riding that a weekend allows me.

Tomorrow will be bike riding as it is supposed to get to 72 degrees! I have a set of trails to explore that will be used for a 25K trail race (foot) that I'm doing in 2 weeks.

Sunday will be a run/walk with friends.

I don't try to make up for lost workouts. I find that type of thinking just leads to an increased risk of injury for me.
  • jbrack381us
    jbrack381us Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    3 mi. today out at my favorite local park. First run since Tuesday. Hoping to get a full 3 days of running in this week.

QotD: Running on the weekends usually means a bit longer runs. Also usually means that I am running in sunshine instead of moonlight. Also hugely expands my running location options. I almost never run two days in a row. But I may try and get a swim or some other workout in if I missed one during the week.
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I ended up on the trails this morning instead of the group run I'd considered. The extra 90 minutes of sleep was most welcome.

6 miles - felt great. Surprisingly muddy out there. It's usually pretty dry here at this time of year. It has been an unusually wet late summer and fall, so it appears the ground is saturated. Other than a few spots where I had to pick my way through (and ended up with soaked socks) the trails were runnable and very enjoyable. I don't do that enough!
  • nick197785
    nick197785 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Ran 5 today.

I usually do a long run on one of the weekend days. This weekend is very busy. I had a bunch of work projects to do, a relay marathon tomorrow and a painter coming on Monday. I need to remove furniture, clothing etc. from the room that the painter is going to paint.

I generally do not try to make up missed workouts. As gadgetgirlIl said, it can lead to injury.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Got in a nice 10 mile run/walk with a couple of friends. The one friend hasn't run very much in 8 weeks so we kept it comfortable and also took pictures of the beautiful fall colors. It was good to get caught up!