Working out...Gaining weight, NOT muscle

Options
fitmek
fitmek Posts: 277 Member
Can someone please explain WHY this happens to me every time? I start walking on the treadmill (sometimes at an incline, sometimes not) and after the very first night, I gain 1-2 pounds.....after 3 or 4 nights, I've gained 3-4 pounds. It's NOT muscle mass in less than a week. My appetite does grow when I work out, but generally I try to only eat back about half of what I burn during a work out. I also try to drink about 6 glasses of water a day--sometimes more, but 6 is an honest number.
Is this all water weight? I have been on the treadmill almost every night for 45-50 minutes for about 7 days now and I don't think I've been this bloated and gross feeling in a long time!
Yesterday was a "splurge day" for me, but generally I try to stay around 1800 cals or less, and burning about 400 a day on the treadmill/walking....so it keeps me between 1400-1600 cals a day, which I know should be giving me decent results.
I'm not going to stop working out obviously, because it helps with stress, but I am now 3 pounds heavier than a week ago and this is nuts!

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Yup sounds like water weight. Happens to me all the time when I start a new program or start up again after a break. Could also be a diet higher in sodium which I find adds too (esp after takeout or a weekend of eating away from home etc).

Keep at it and eventually the scale will start to come down again.
  • jvtchong
    jvtchong Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    The first explanation might be that you are consuming more calories than you think. Do you use the calories burned that your treadmill estimates to calculate what you can eat back? From what I've heard these notoriously overestimate expenditure. Are the calories you consume made up of too many empty calories vs nutritious ones?

Otherwise perhaps inflammation could cause you to initially hold onto some weight. Give your muscles time to heal in between. Recovery is part of the process. Get plenty of sleep. Perhaps you've got too much stress and the exercise is adding more instead of balancing it out?

I personally drink a lot more water, especially when working out. But then again I live in a hot climate so drinking a lot is simply very necessary.

Maybe give it a couple of weeks to allow your body to get used to exercising again before worrying too much about what may be a temporary and fixable weight gain? Fluctuations happen daily anyway. Good luck!

http://www.beachbody.com/beachbodyblog/fitness/ask-the-expert-why-do-you-gain-weight-when-you-start-working-out
  • fitmek
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Yup sounds like water weight. Happens to me all the time when I start a new program or start up again after a break. Could also be a diet higher in sodium which I find adds too (esp after takeout or a weekend of eating away from home etc).

Keep at it and eventually the scale will start to come down again.

I try to eat breakfast everyday at home (usually something GF and higher in protein) and most dinners at home, except Friday and Saturday night. Lunch I do eat out....lower calorie items and lots of salads, but I'm sure the sodium is higher.
    But, I should also note that I have low pressure and I have had several doctors tell me my body can handle more salt and it wont hurt to eat more.
    I look and feel so bloated right now. I did the math to see if TOM was coming and I think I'm still a week out.
    I did eat a lot more yesterday, but typically I'm eating about 1700-1800 a day, and burning about 450 calories during the day with my workouts....and I'm using my fitbit and myfitness pal to calculate that...so I typically eat about half of what I burn....giving me an average of 1600 calories. Sometimes less.
    I'm hoping it starts to even out in the next 7-10 days if I keep working out.

• chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged if it takes more than 10 days to disappear. I've started a new workout routine right after my period ended - the result was a 2 lb gain that stayed on for nearly a month. It took time for my muscles to adapt to my new routine, so I had a lot of fluid retention for a while, plus I started working out at the absolute worst time with relation to my cycle. Once TOM came around again, I dropped 3 lbs overnight and 1 lb later that week. It stayed off.

It sounds like your diet is under control, but carbs and sodium can cause water retention. If you've had an unusually high-carb day recently, that could be contributing to the water weight. If you ate more than usual yesterday, give it a couple of days to get through your system.
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Even if you can handle high sodium from a blood pressure perspective, it doesn't stop the sodium from causing water retention. It just means it won't give you dangerously high blood pressure!

Salads from restaurants are not always low calorie. If they have croutons, nuts, seeds, loads of dressing, meat, cheese, avocado, dried fruit, or come with bread, they may have more calories than you realize. (Not that all those additions are individually bad for you, just that they can contribute calories that sometimes make salads worse options than, say, grilled chicken sandwiches or something.) There is a salad at Chili's that has more than 1400 calories, as an example.

Bloating does sound like water retention. You don't have to discuss the next part if you don't want to, because it's kind of personal and not everyone is comfortable talking about it, but constipation can also be a problem when you are eating a reduced calorie diet. So increased fiber intake may help you feel full and solve that problem, if you happen to have it.

I also notice you said you often had something GF for breakfast. If you have celiac disease or a gluten allergy/intolerance, of course GF foods are medically advisable, but if you don't need to eat GF, you may want to avoid highly processed GF foods -- a lot of them are loaded with potato starch, tapioca starch, white rice flour, etc. (There are some whole grain GF foods out there, but you really have to drill down into the ingredients lists to see.) Starchy things are easily digestible calories and produce a lot of glucose as they're broken down (because starch is a polymer of glucose...). Go for more whole grains, whether they are GF or not -- they will help you develop a healthy gut bacteria population due to their fiber content, which can also help with bloat (and they will make you feel fuller). (A probiotic or eating yogurt also could help.)
  • DiIDE
    DiIDE Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    6 glasses of water is not really enough, it should be a minimum of 8 so it would no be fluid retention. You won't gain muscle working out on a treadmill so if that is your goal you need to lift weights which will build muscle and also increase your metabolism which will help with weight loss . Good luck you will achieve it if you stick with it.
  • kqumyfitnesspal
    kqumyfitnesspal Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree with others that water retention is the issue. Controlling salt intake will definitely help. Most importantly, don't get discouraged, you need to keep going. Results will come. I also have read quite a few research articles about how cardio alone is not effective in losing weight; you need to add strength training. I am now a firm believer that weight training is extremely important for adding muscle mass and reducing fat. I personally don't like weight lifting, instead I prefer yoga. My challenge is that I just have to keep at it and gradually increase the intensity. Good luck on your journey!
  • fitmek
    Options
    I'm not trying to build muscle, more so lean out and just lose weight overall. I lift a 35 pound 3 year old 24-7 and have some pretty good biceps from that too :)
    I ended up pulling a muscle in my thigh/groin and haven't been able to work out since last Friday and it's really bummed me out because I was on a roll.
    I'll try to up the water intake, but controlling the sodium is going to be something that's really tough.
  • mkozmik
    mkozmik Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing happen to me too. I've also noticed that with the lovely hormone fluctuations that come with peri menopause don't help much either. I can literally go up and down 5+ pounds overnight. Frustrating!

I also have food allergies. Including gluten. If I venture into gluten land, I blow up like a balloon.

It makes the process more difficult. But be vigilant and mindful with food and stick to those workouts. You'll get there.
  • annapannapottur
    annapannapottur Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I always gain weight when I start working out regularly :( I've recently started logging meals and it seems to be helping, albeit slowly. I often wonder about water retention, is there something I can do / take to help with that? My ankles are unnaturally thick in relation to the rest of my body! :)
  • PoundChaser2
    PoundChaser2 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to get rid of the splurge day.